Skipping rip!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Been about 18 months or maybe even 2 years since I finished ripping the bulk of my CDs and tonight I found the first dodgy rip, on an album I evidently haven't played in all that time (best of Blur, seeing as you didn't ask). Still, one dodgy track from 10,000 is not a bad ratio...?

MajorFubar said:
Been about 18 months or maybe even 2 years since I finished ripping the bulk of my CDs and tonight I found the first dodgy rip, on an album I evidently haven't played in all that time (best of Blur, seeing as you didn't ask). Still, one dodgy track from 10,000 is not a bad ratio...?

Not at all, and it's only Blur. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Be curious to know how that happened, I bought an old copy of New Order, Republic the other day (2 quid, outrageous, bloody Saffron Walden charity shops!) and dbPoweramp had real trouble ripping it, even on secure rip going over and over the problem frames repeatedly it couldn't get the accuraterip to match. Even so I listened to the files yesterday and I can't hear anything wrong with them at all, so I wonder how bad a CD has to be before a rip actually skips.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Be curious to know how that happened...

Wondering if it's anything to do with the fact it's a long CD (greater than 74 mins). I had quite a few that were difficult rips, where the rip speed slowed way down towards he end of the disc and you could hear the mechanism re-reading the same portion over and over again, and in all cases it was the last few tracks on very long CDs. Having said that, not all long CDs were difficult rips. But all difficult rips were long CDs. Re-ripped it and just like you I got an error report for the last two tracks but I can't hear any noticeable skips this time.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I might be wrong but I think this was to allow a successful rip of CDs with primative DRM protection. DRM on CDs was primarily the brainchild of Sony at the start of the century. I remember reading a tale that Philips went ape at DRM because Sony was still branding DRM-afflicted CDs with the 'Compact Disc Digital Audio' logo when the CDs themselves clearly breached Red Book standards, and Philips threatened them with court action. Sony are little sh*ts anyway and if it's true I'm glad Philips threatened to spank their ass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts