size of rooms

bigtoe

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
Reviews might say that a particular speaker is best suited to a small, medium or large room but what is the definition of a small, medium or large room?

bigtoe

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
My room is about 4m x 8.5 is that considered a large room? If I read a review of a speaker and the reviewer says the speaker is best suited to a larger room is that one I might consider or would my room be considered medium sized?

My room is about 4m x 8.5 is that considered a large room? If I read a review of a speaker and the reviewer says the speaker is best suited to a larger room is that one I might consider or would my room be considered medium sized?
I would have said so, though you'll need to think about giving most speakers some breathing space i.e. not close to walls. If you are after some pointers, it'd help to know what the rest of your kit is, what you listen to, your budget and what you think doesn't work about your present setup.

bigtoe

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
I would have said so, though you'll need to think about giving most speakers some breathing space i.e. not close to walls. If you are after some pointers, it'd help to know what the rest of your kit is, what you listen to, your budget and what you think doesn't work about your present setup.
[/QUOTE
I have a vintage Sony amp TA-3200F (100W x 2) and Sony preamp/tuner STC-7000 with Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers. It all sounds quite good to me but wonder about maybe a bigger sound. I have and opportunity to purchase a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500 6G's for around $2000 Ca. but I'm not sure how much improvement I would see for the money. I listen to a wide variety of music but mostly Jazz these days.

Thanks

I'm not sure that the change to speakers wouldn't be more a sideways move than an upwards one - a change in sonic character might be more easily achieved with a different brand, but you'd really need to listen in advance. I don't know your amp at all, and it's worth asking the question whether it would do justice to the speakers you have, let alone an upgrade.

I would say it’s large, but there is a speaker manufacturer who defines the sizes and states which of their models suits which.

I’m struggling to recall which, but it might be Dali. I’ll see if I can find it.

Think it's a tricky one to advise. Not only have you room size and shape to consider but not everyone wants a speaker/system that physically dominates a room.

If you're the sort who want a system that's discrete but delivers a big sound, this throws a totally different challenge both for forum members to advise and those who are posing the question.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts