Simple Upgradable Wireless System

Monkey Puzzle

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Just purchasing first house and the boring stuff is really boring, so I thought I'd start worrying about the REALLY important stuff. I'm looking to put together a wireless music system that I'll be able to upgrade and add to without having to start again from scratch. I was thinking of:

- Laptop and hard drive holding FLAC files for now with view to upgrading to NAS or similar, plus streaming from Spotify/Youtube/Whatever

- Reciever/renderer for said FLAC files playing through Marantz PM6004 (via HRT Music Streamer II DAC) in living room that I already own, plus another receiver connected through old Cambridge Audio amp in other room

- Ability to watch films on Netflix on laptop screen (it's a small living room) with audio coming wireless and as latency free as possible through Marantz amp, with a view to upgrading to projector at later date. Doesn't matter if need wired connection to projector from laptop

- Use Windows Phone as controller for all the above

I'd like to achieve the best balance between sound quality, low-latency and ease of use possible at an entry-level-ish budget, but would consider more expensive if it was a long-term solution. What kit should I consider, bearing in mind I can purchase in stages provided that I have a working solution at the start that can be improved on?

Alternatively, I was just thinking of getting an Arcam miniBlink for both rooms and be done with it.

Cheers, Ned.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Start from scratch, sell what you already have and you are half way to a couple of pairs of Yamaha NX-N500, which do everything, I mean everything!

Multiroom capability as standard with Yamaha MusicCast, start off with Airplay or Bluetooth from almost any device and later, add wired network streaming which is built in, as is Spotify connect along with internet radio and regular digital and analogue inputs.

Latency is one thing I can not vouch for (I have no interest in TV/movies) but Yamaha market them as suitable for movie playback so they should be fine.

For music though, at £599 a room, amazing value.

Monkey Puzzle

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
The Yamahas look really cool, but the only bit of my system I wouldn't consider changing is my Arcaydis DM1's. If I'd been buying from scratch that'd be a really smart solution.

Just seen the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi and that looks promising as a start point. Has the aptX Bluetooth of the Arcam miniBlink, but also works as Network Streamer and internet radio. Interesting...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There is a tendency to underestimate the performance from integrated solutions like the NX-N500, your speakers are pretty good but they are never going to do themselves justice driven by something like the Minx or even your Marantz

A more flexible approach might be a couple of Bluesound Nodes, currently just £249 including a Bluetooth dongle. Just buy a decent but inexpensive power amp to drive your speakers.

Alternatively have the Node drive a pair of Adam Artist6, a slim active floorstander that is outrageously good for less than £600pr.

There are so many interesting solutions out there, take your time and have a good look around, the Node/Artist6 does 95% of everything I would want of a system, and at a pinch I would manage without the last 5% (Airplay), just over £800 all up, I have an iPad to control it all.

Monkey Puzzle

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Dave. The Bluesound Nodes look great and I'm interested in your suggestion of a power amp - would I still need to use the Marantz as a pre-amp?

TRENDING THREADS