simple 24fps question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
if my tv only accepts 1080p at 50 - 60 hz would i tell the hd source to output that signal. I guess then some scalling is done inside the player (no specific player). Dose this the result in a juddery pic. Also film on dvd is shot at 24fps and delivered at 50 or 60 hz . How come these dont judder. Last but not least which hd dvd decks actually output hd audio in bitsream to make the most of my onkyo 705, and one that has onpar dvd performance to my denon 1930 dvd deck

cheers kev

A

Anonymous

Hello Kev

First things first: if your TV only accepts 50 or 60Hz 1080p content, then yes, you'll need to provide it with a signal it can recognise. That means converting the 'native' 24fps content stored on your Blu-ray or HD DVD discs into something your TV can support. This isn't scaling, incidentally - scaling is the process of modifying one resolution to suit another, most commonly by introducing new pixels into a lower-resolution image to help it match the pixel-count of an HD-Ready or Full HD display. Instead, the process being carried out is frame-rate conversion: turning 24fps Blu-ray/HD DVD into either 25fps or 30fps content (most commonly, at the moment, it'll be the latter). And yes, our current experiences suggest that this will produce a juddery picture, even with a high-quality, expensive Blu-ray or HD DVD player.

As to the second part of your question: you're right, film is shot at 24fps. However, it's not stored on DVD discs in that form. The process of converting cinefilm into video suitable for storage on discs (or broadcast) is called a 'Telecine' transfer, and is conducted in an authoring studio using very powerful video processing equipment. The conversion process isn't done in 'real-time' - it takes as long or as little as is needed to ensure a good result. That's why when compared to the current situation with high-def discs, comparatively few viewers have been bothered by irritating judder with DVD movies - although it's true that you can notice judder on NTSC (30fps) DVD discs, often during fast motion pans, and especially if the authoring hasn't been done well.

Finally, HD-audio capable decks we've tested include the £1000 Pioneer BDP-LX70A Blu-ray player and the £350 Toshiba HD-EP35 HD DVD deck. Sony's new £500 BDP-S500 Blu-ray apparently also plays ball, but we've yet to try it. With your system, the £350 Toshiba (actually around £270 if you shop around) should be the ideal buy. It's also comparable in quality to your Denon DVD-1930 when playing DVDs.

All the best, Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts