Upgrade path - which way to go?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently trying to figure out which way to go in terms of an upgrade path.

My current setup includes a Sony STR-DB790 AV receiver, Denon DVD-1940 multiregion DVD player, Samsung LE37R87 37" Freeview TV along with tape deck and Pioneer PL-514X turntable.

I also play a numerous amount of SACD and DVD-Audio discs, so they need to be played on the system as they can do now (the DB-790 does have 5.1 ins, but no HDMI switching whatsoever)

Ideally, I'd like to go into the world of Blu-ray but also have Freeview HD with a record facility. There's a few options I was considering:

* Getting the Panasonic DMR-BWT700 blu-ray recorder, so I'd have Freeview HD hard disk, DVD and Blu-ray play/record (output the audio via optical digital to the Sony), but keep the DVD-1940 for the surround audio goodness. This would mean nothing else needed changing (for now)

* Getting the Pioneer BDP-440 Blu-ray player (which plays SACD and DVD-A and can be made multiregion DVD), a Sony STR-DH820 receiver and a Freeview HD hard drive recorder, possibly the Humax HDR-FOX T2. This woud also mean a phono pre-amp as well as the STR-DH820 has no phono stage

* Getting a cheaper Blu-ray player (Sony BDPS-380 or 480), keeping the Denon for the SACD/DVD-A stuff, and then the Humax HDR-FOX T2, and outputting via optical (Humax) or coaxial (Sony) to the Sony amp.

With the first and last options, of course I could upgrade other bits at a later date such as the amp.

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

just wanted to ask you for some help, I have the BDP-440 and I´ve been trying to get the DVD-only multiregion capability ever since I bought it...

I got it from an Austrian store back in October 2011 for a very good price, they unfortunately don´t provide customers with such upgrade...

My former BDP-320 and 430 were from UK, both DVD multiregioned, it was pretty much done by a firmware file on USB and took a few minutes...The first one was bought off eBay already MR, the BDP-430 was from Sevenoaks who then provided me with the firmware for free...I´m afraid they do such thing only for their customers...

Any info on how to make the BDP-440 DVD MR?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts