Silver Anniversary XT Cable connections

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Most dealers offer airlock terminations on the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable. Would i be right in assuming that i don't need to have these terminators, and that i could just strip back the outer layer of the cable and insert into my amp and speakers connectors, like other copper speaker cable ?

Would i lose audio quality by using this method or is the airlock temination recommended ?

A

Anonymous

The Airlock termination would be the recommendation, but you can use other plugs or go down the route you're contemplating.

A

Anonymous

Just a note of caution. I had the airloc terminations on my ecosse ms2.3 (terminated by hificables co) and I have to say I found them to be absolute trash. They work loose and bend VERY easily if you don't leave them in your speaker/ amp terminals I.e if you take them out just a few times then they can lose suction and mine bent to the extent where they were on the verge of snapping!!!! I've checked with others and it seems this isn't a rare occurrence!!! I'd recommend using spades or if bananas make sure they're screw-on or similar....

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've not got a great deal of space behind my amp so termination plugs into the rear of the terminals is slightly more awkward for me than just threading exposed wire into the sides of the terminals.

A

Anonymous

I'd say that is perfectly fine. If they get a bit messy (the wires) you can always expose some fresh wire and reconnect. Plus getting bannanas is easy if you later decide you want a tidier installation etc...

A

Anonymous

I've managed with just bare wires for now connected to MABR2's.

Out of interest I've just bought the SA7001 alongside the PM7001KI, how do you find the B&W's 685's with the marantz combo? The MA are great with albums such as Jose Gonzalez and Damian Rice, NAS's albums have plenty of base and keeps up with rhythm excellantly.

I find Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Kings of Leon are slighty lacking a bit of pace or depth.

What music are you listening to on the Marantz?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
utah:
Out of interest I've just bought the SA7001 alongside the PM7001KI, how do you find the B&W's 685's with the marantz combo? The MA are great with albums such as Jose Gonzalez and Damian Rice, NAS's albums have plenty of base and keeps up with rhythm excellantly.

I find Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Kings of Leon are slighty lacking a bit of pace or depth.

What music are you listening to on the Marantz?

I listen to a variety of music but mainly rock / indie / a little bit of dance. I love the sound my system gives with some quieter stuff as well (Damian Rice / Nora Jones played nice and loud gives fantastic results). Had Massive Attack on earlier which really showed the bass off.

I really like the Marantz with my 685's, but then i've not really had quality hi-fi components before (been stuck with a 20 year old Pioneer all in one) so difficult to compare. I just know that i like the system that i've got now and that it's a massive improvement on my previous set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts