Sighted tests -v- blind tests

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
I respectfully request that responses be on-topic and helpful.

I LEIK CATS!!! Oh nos, waitz, I HATE CATSES!! That was it...

Quoting only part of my question is helpful.

HTH! HAND!!1!

Please do not attempt to derail this thread.

OK Thomas but you can't call him the Fat Controller anymore, it's not CP, he's Sir Topham Hat or some such bollux.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
byakuya83 said:
I respectfully request that responses be on-topic and helpful.

I LEIK CATS!!! Oh nos, waitz, I HATE CATSES!! That was it...

Quoting only part of my question is helpful.

HTH! HAND!!1!

Please do not attempt to derail this thread.

OK Thomas but you can't call him the Fat Controller anymore, it's not CP, he's Sir Topham Hat or some such bollux.

I assume from this post it must be the season for magic mushrooms again LHC?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Professor Hat, how does auditioning when sighted assist in achieving the objective?

1. Because when I listen at home, I'm sighted, not blind. So the results of a blind test are not as relevant as those of a sighted test.

2. Because when I go to audition something, for me there needs to be an element of fun / pleasure involved (given this is a hobby an' all). I personally don't find arranging and meeting all of the requirements that go into proper ABX testing fun but laborious, so it wouldn't interest me.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
The_Lhc, that was idiotic.

Yeah, what's your point?

MY point was that you can't tell the internetz what to do and demanding that a forum topic is not to be derailed is actually more idiotic than my response as you're just encouraging it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
byakuya83 said:

Yeah, what's your point?

MY point was that you can't tell the internetz what to do and demanding that a forum topic is not to be derailed is actually more idiotic than my response as you're just encouraging it.

Yes, but you have to remember that these kind of threads tend to be started on the assumption that we all need to be taught something. So, therefore, they tend to be posted by those of a pedagogic disposition. Such people assume that when they tell you to 'sit still and behave' you should do so because it's good for you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Have a feeling snorting is to do with the intaking of breath or substances, could be wrong, though.

snort

Noun

An explosive sound made by the sudden forcing of breath through a person's nose, used to express indignation, derision, or incredulity.

Verb

Make a sudden sound through one's nose, esp. to express indignation or derision: "she snorted with laughter".

Synonyms sniff - snore

According to dictionary.com anyway...

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
professorhat, thank you for the kind response. I didn't consider my request unreasonable and it's good to see some members are still able to respond like adults. I can appreciate why you might trust your ears more in an environment more akin to your own listening environment. To me that makes sense. The-Lhc, please try not to make yourself look like more of an idiot than you already do. Chebby, are you referring to how some members need to be taught how to post according to the rules?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm back in..

byakuya83 said:
The-Lhc, please try not to make yourself look like more of an idiot than you already do.

How to win friends and influence people ,nice job of that you have made. Good luck.

byakuya83 said:
Chebby, are you referring to how some members need to be taught how to post according to the rules?

Not totaly sure that you have grasped the nettle here.

This is fun.

I'm out again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Chebby, are you referring to how some members need to be taught how to post according to the rules?

No. I am referring to your 'missionary work' amongst us poor benighted souls. (You and a few others.)

It is dressed up as 'lets have an interesting discussion' but the subtext or agenda is always education. (Education on active speakers, on cables, on 'foo', on how we should listen, on how we should audition etc.)

Are you going to tell me how to sit still and not divert your thread as well?

TrevC

chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
byakuya83 said:

Yeah, what's your point?

Yes, but you have to remember that these kind of threads tend to be started on the assumption that we all need to be taught something. So, therefore, they tend to be posted by those of a pedagogic disposition. Such people assume that when they tell you to 'sit still and behave' you should do so because it's good for you.

It is good for you. it saves you wasting cash. :bounce:

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't want to be friends with either The_Lhc or Chebby, both appear to have a hidden agenda and come across as confrontational.

Their attempts to derail the discussion should be ignored.

It's a shame for those who wish to have a more grown-up discussion and share their thoughts on sighted auditions. I can certainly see the merit in them.

T

the record spot

byakuya83 said:
I wouldn't want to be friends with either The_Lhc or Chebby, both appear to have a hidden agenda and come across as confrontational. Their attempts to derail the discussion should be ignored. It's a shame for those who wish to have a more grown-up discussion and share their thoughts on sighted auditions. I can certainly see the merit in them.

Yeah. Like Chebby didn't hit the nail on the head. I answered the question earlier so I feel like I've contributed, but let's not kid ourselves what at least part of the rationale for this thread was and let's not call it something it isn't.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
I wouldn't want to be friends with either The_Lhc or Chebby, both appear to have a hidden agenda and come across as confrontational. Their attempts to derail the discussion should be ignored. It's a shame for those who wish to have a more grown-up discussion and share their thoughts on sighted auditions. I can certainly see the merit in them.

Aww....bless.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Used to do what, blind/sighted tests? Are you saying you only bother testing speakers now as the other components are, for the most part, audibly transparent? From experience I would agree. I think speakers are probably the item most worthy of auditioning, in terms of judging the sound.

Record Spot, this was meant as a reply to your earlier post!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I test wine blind, great fun, (especially when you forget you're not supposed to swallow) and you can taste the nuances of grape/terroir/oak etc.

Is wine allowed to taste objectively different, or does that go against your creed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts