Sighted tests -v- blind tests

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Following on from the ABX thread; when the only objective is to determine, by ear, which system/component produces the more preferable sound are there any situations where a sighted test would be superior to a blind test?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Following on from the ABX thread; when the only objective is to determine, by ear, which system/component produces the more preferable sound are there any situations where a sighted test would be superior to a blind test?

Oh no, please, we've just done this to death! Can't we move on?

I'm out.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I respectfully request that responses be on-topic and helpful.

Quoting only part of my question is not at all helpful.

Please do not attempt to derail this thread.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
byakuya83 said:

When I'm auditioning something, purely for myself, as a hobby.

J

jcbrum

professorhat said:
byakuya83 said:
are there any situations where a sighted test would be superior to a blind test?

I think professorhat makes a valid point.

Often we see some item that we think we would like to own. We then 'audition' it so that we can detemine whether it has some characteristic which might be offensive to us. If it passes that test, we probably go ahead and buy it. Or keep it if we have already made the purchase.

Such a simple test is the usually the basis for selection, ime. It's quick and simple, and justifies an already pre-determined (probably) purchase decision, or halts the process, if an adverse situation occurs.

JC

T

the record spot

Used to do it, don't bother anymore. Too many minimal differences in digital sources, too little difference to get agitated over with cables of pretty much any sort, only thing I'll listen to before buying these days are speakers. The rest are fair game. Includes my last two Onkyo amps incidentally, both of which were keepers in their own right, the current one likely to last a bit longer than the 8050 did.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
byakuya83 said:

yes, when you're worried about the asthetics of an item, a blind test isn't much good then is it :D

J

jcbrum

cheeseboy said:
byakuya83 said:

yes, when you're worried about the asthetics of an item, a blind test isn't much good then is it :D

Does this apply to very expensive interconnect and mains cables ?

I certainly would want to blind test those, before parting with any money.

In fact, personally, I wouldn't bother testing them at all for my own use, as I'm satisfied that they are 'foo', but I might want to actually prove that. In that endevour, a carefully arranged ABX blind test is essential, imo, based purely on the lilehood of wasting a lot of money.

JC

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jcbrum said:
professorhat said:
byakuya83 said:
are there any situations where a sighted test would be superior to a blind test?

I think professorhat makes a valid point.

Often we see some item that we think we would like to own. We then 'audition' it so that we can detemine whether it has some characteristic which might be offensive to us. If it passes that test, we probably go ahead and buy it. Or keep it if we have already made the purchase.

Such a simple test is the usually the basis for selection, ime. It's quick and simple, and justifies an already pre-determined (probably) purchase decision, or halts the process, if an adverse situation occurs.

I felt the same when I listened to the Naim UnityQute. The sound was quite good (within its 30wpc limits) but it's the way it looks and feels in use that makes it good.

T

the record spot

Esp if you're handing over £300 for the likes of the Clearer Audio one that Cno linked to the other week. Audio Note's higher end cables at £5000 a pop might just also squeeze into this category.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
...when the only objective is to determine, by ear, which system/component produces the more preferable sound...

I didn't wish to focus on aesthetics or practicality. I think some are answering a different question.

Professor Hat, how does auditioning when sighted assist in achieving the objective?

J

jcbrum

My spell checker seems to have stopped working on this forum. Donno why, Typo's are a nuisance. - JC

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
when the only objective is to determine, by ear, which system/component produces the more preferable sound are there any situations where a sighted test would be superior to a blind test?

byakuya83 said:
...when the only objective is to determine, by ear, which system/component produces the more preferable sound...

In that case no, I think blind testing will always be the better option if you're ONLY wanting to compare the sound and nothing else.

J

jcbrum

byakuya83 said:

I didn't wish to focus on aesthetics or practicality. I think some are answering a different question.

Professor Hat, how does auditioning when sighted assist in achieving the objective?

If the only objective is to determine by ear, - then visionary influences definitely have to be excluded.

JC

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
I think you mean visual influences, brum me old chum, though visionary would indeed be interesting!

HaHa, yes, - quite right, - an interesting concept
smiley-laughing.gif

JC

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
byakuya83 said:

Being blind myself, can't say ever had the luxury

Good job I trust my ears.

smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts