Should there be a difference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

Hi Bill , streaming claims by some to be hi Res , therefore the ultimate source. Tell me what music you cannot find? I have very niche tastes and I am yet to encounter a problem. The same argument was used against CDs. It's only available on records so I will not buy CDs .
Of course if you are ripping remastered CDs then ....
I think you're just arguing for the sake of argument. First of all, I don't think anyone (or everyone) is saying "it's only available on CD, that's why I won't use streaming services", I, for instance, do both ripping and streaming.

Secondly, it seems you suspect that the "some music is not available on streaming services" argument is BS because you haven't had a problem in this regard. Let me tell you there's actually plenty of music missing from streaming services, ranging from old local music to world renown stuff like Porcupine Tree. Yes, major PT albums are completely missing from Tidal!!

Also, Tidal offerings differ from Spotify, for example. I recently discovered a band called "Big Big Train" and on Tidal you can find only their newer albums. So I was left with 2 options: listen to their older album on Spotify, in s***ty mp3, or NOT pay for 2 services and fill the gaps with CD rips or hi-res downloads.

Jimboo

Yeah , well arguing for the sake of it isn't my position. And you are totally missing my point as well as having little understanding of the points raised.
So you rip and stream ? Therefore you rip music you already own because it isn't available from streaming ? Why ? It is just (to me silly)
Tidal and the others are continually adapting and expanding. I find the rarest krautrock freely available.This will grow and grow.Rip the unavailable by all means but the easily available in your collection also? You didn't explain why this is necessary.
Look , it's your money and your time. There is plenty on the streaming sites and the uber rare stuff , private pressing releases etc will mostly for now always be a physical copy.
There was 16 porcupine tree albums on tidal when I googled it . I played them on my tidal account when I had it , are you sure?

rainsoothe

Yeah , well arguing for the sake of it isn't my position. And you are totally missing my point as well as having little understanding of the points raised.
So you rip and stream ? Therefore you rip music you already own because it isn't available from streaming ? Why ? It is just (to me silly)
Tidal and the others are continually adapting and expanding. I find the rarest krautrock freely available.This will grow and grow.Rip the unavailable by all means but the easily available in your collection also? You didn't explain why this is necessary.
Look , it's your money and your time. There is plenty on the streaming sites and the uber rare stuff , private pressing releases etc will mostly for now always be a physical copy.
There was 16 porcupine tree albums on tidal when I googled it . I played them on my tidal account when I had it , are you sure?
On PT - yes, Fear of a blank planet just vanished recently.
As for riping, I don't have a CDP, my system is streaming pre + power amp. I rip from PC to Synology NAS. Even if I did have a CDP, it still would'nt allow me to listen to one artist on my PC setup and my girlfriend to listen to something else on her PC (headphones). Local streaming means both quality and versatility.

I also buy some physical media for pride of ownership and supporting the artists, because as far as I know they get more from this than streaming services - and also for situations just like the one above, or where some artist or label has some dispute and decides to remove the material from the streaming service i'm using. This happens frequently with video content, for example NBC just sold the rights to "The Office" to an up and coming streaming service, and it will be exclusive to them after 2020 - it's currently on Amazon Prime. So because I hate this kind of instability, I prefer having a hard copy of the stuff I use regularly.

And another reason to have stuff backed up locally is when the internet provider has whatever issues (granted this happens very rarely, but it doe happen) and I want to be able to listen to my music when the internet is down without having to resort to LP playback.

Also, I'm from Romania, old romanian stuff is much harder to find than krautrock, since it usually wasn't something that made it past these borders.

D

Deleted member 188516

As for riping, I don't have a CDP, my system is streaming pre + power amp. I rip from PC to Synology NAS. Even if I did have a CDP, it still would'nt allow me to listen to one artist on my PC setup and my girlfriend to listen to something else on her PC (headphones). Local streaming means both quality and versatility.

I also buy some physical media for pride of ownership and supporting the artists, because as far as I know they get more from this than streaming services - and also for situations just like the one above, or where some artist or label has some dispute and decides to remove the material from the streaming service i'm using. This happens frequently with video content, for example NBC just sold the rights to "The Office" to an up and coming streaming service, and it will be exclusive to them after 2020 - it's currently on Amazon Prime. So because I hate this kind of instability, I prefer having a hard copy of the stuff I use regularly.

And another reason to have stuff backed up locally is when the internet provider has whatever issues (granted this happens very rarely, but it doe happen) and I want to be able to listen to my music when the internet is down without having to resort to LP playback.

Also, I'm from Romania, old romanian stuff is much harder to find than krautrock, since it usually wasn't something that made it past these borders.

+1.

Jimboo

Ah , Romanion rock! I understand. Yes, that would be somewhat difficult.
My worry is like the office on NBC example music may too become exclusive to certain or only one platform.
I am old and I have had recordings for many years. I prefer a real, physical format. I use streaming for hearing new bands.
I wonder why Fear has gone missing from tidal?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts