Hi everyone,

Ok, so I'm moving house soon and thinking of upgrading my system. I don't have loaads of money, perhaps 1k to spend so my main question is: Will I really notice any difference?

At the moment my system consists of:

Pioneer PD-4550 CD player (bought in about 1990)

Cambridge A1 Amplifier

Mission V60 speakers on Mission stands - these are bi wired (even though my scientific head says it makes no difference!)

Now, after listening to music from my iPod and at friends houses through their computers etc I went back to buying CD's, putting them on and LISTENING! The first thing that struck me was how I have got used to not hearing music through spaced speakers, all the docking stations just don't give you that spread.

So, having about 1k my obvious choice would be the award winning Marantz CD6005, pair it with the same amp and then get some floorstanders.

I'm interested to know if I reaally will hear a huge difference? Or were CD players better back in 1990?!

Any advice and/or views would be appreciated!

Thanks

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
if you said 2005 then maybe not much of a difference but since your CD player is from 1990 then yes, I think you will hear a difference. I like the Marantz idea and a good set of floorstanders. You will be happy and it will be money well spent.

I was just going to say that I was surprised your CD player was still working but then I remembered my sister is still using my old Onkyo CD player from 1988!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Your suggested components will I am sure make an entirely compedent system. Nice matching electronics very neat and tidy, pretty moch par for the course.

If you want something exceptional at that kind of price then you need to be pretty innovative and look at some non mainstream options.

As an iPod user I assume you have a music librari on computer, forget your experience with iPod docks, a computer can be a fine source. If this is the case, connect it via usb to a dac/preamp, the AudioEngine A1 is the budget choice and use that to drive a pair of AVI DM5 compacts. Can easlily be had within budget, even uncluding stands and cables.

If you prefer to use CDs, buy an inexpensive CD player with an optical out to connect to the AudioEngine. Whichever option you choose the sound quality will be way beyond what you are considering, though of course you will miss out on the bling factor and have to live with a little less flexibility. It really depends on what you want.

You could of course use a more flexible remote control dac/preamp, but this will add to the price, at least £150+.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
pair of AVI DM5 compacts.

Although one thing that might count against this is the difference in bass considering the OP is thinking of floorstanders. I know you in particular don't think budget floorstanders are worth it, I'll leave it to you to explain the problems with them if necessary.

Never heard the DM5s, but by reputation they should have enough bandwidth for most music other than particularly bassy electronic music. I'm sure they will definitely go louder, cleaner, and with more detail. Whether the OP values this over the warm bubbly bass floorstanders can provide is really down to personal preference. Personally I'd be all for the DM5 solution, but I'm a convert to actives (still plan to retain both passive and active systems though).

So regarding the comments on floorstanders, would I be best spending the money on shelf speakers and using my stands? The room they will be in is average size (approx 4x5m) and although I do like listening to music loud I was thinking I may get more refinement from floorstanders.

Without opening a no doubt HUGE can of worms is this not the case?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Changing speakers will give a huge change because they are transducers (transforming electrical to mechanical energy).

Changing to a more powerfull amplifier will improve the current sound a bit (make small electric signal in bigger electric signal is all they do).

CD players will sound the same unless the Pioneer is faulty, which may be out of spec after 24 years (capacitors have shelf life). The louder output CDP will sound better of the two, but that is a bad thing. The calmer CDP will give higher fidelity because of more usable volume area on your amp (wont go loud too early, less clipping).

Clearly here the weakest fidelity link are the speakers and upgrade should start there first.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Google_101523774121203507490 said:
So regarding the comments on floorstanders, would I be best spending the money on shelf speakers and using my stands? The room they will be in is average size (approx 4x5m) and although I do like listening to music loud I was thinking I may get more refinement from floorstanders.

Without opening a no doubt HUGE can of worms is this not the case?

As ID points out, there is a huge difference between inexpensive (to fit the budget) floorstanders and properly driven compacts whether active or passive. You will get more bass from the floorstanders, that is a near certainty but does that add to the listening pleasure or not? It really does depend on what you, the buyer wants.

There is a comforting presence about a conventional system, good brand names, easy and conventional to use, remote everything, descrete, tidy floorstanders. That is very persuasive to a lot of people.

If you are of that view, get down to your local dealer and get him to set up the Marantz pair and listen to as many floorstanders that you can, within budget of course. Buy the setup you like the best, thats all there is to it really, it is highly unlikely that you will get better with other choices if you stay within that format, though a Yamaha, Denon or other manufacturers comparable pairing would probably do just as well.

D

Deleted member 108165

My recent foray into the stereo market was not dissimilar to yours and started about 2 1/2 years ago, (my previous hi-fi was also 1990 vintage). I started blind, based on reviews alone, with the Marantz PM/CD6004 separates coupled to some MA BX2 speakers and it sounded brilliant. Unfortunately I contracted upgraditis and the BX2's quickly gave way to some BX5 floorstanders and then some RX2's. Each upgrade sounded brilliant, but the upgraditis got worse, ending with my current system of Marantz Pearl Lite amp and cdp with PMC DB1 speakers.

The Marantz PM/CD6005 pairing you refer to will sound great but my advice would be to audition as many as you can. Standmount speakers such as the MA BX2 are great with the right system and in the correct space; if I am honest I think that the floorstanding BX5's were overkill for the size of my lounge, (4x3.2m), as were the RX2's. My current PMC's are the smallest speaker I have ever owned yet they outperform anything I have had previously in this room; so size in not necessarily better.

This is a good site full of decent people so come back here for more info on certain products. Personally I like Marantz, MA and PMC products, others on here would disagree, but it's all down to personal choice in the end and what sounds good to you.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
From Vladimir's post I'd keep in mind the word "speakers". From DougK - "upgraditis". So I think a good way to go is to buy a new pair of speakers for now. Use most of the money there and avoid later upgraditis.

DougK said:
if I am honest I think that the floorstanding BX5's were overkill for the size of my lounge, (4x3.2m), as were the RX2's.

Yeah, I am slightly worried that floorstanders may be too much. I get a lot of bass (and quite a bit of volume) from my little Missions and so really just looking to improve the actual sound quality

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
if I am honest I think that the floorstanding BX5's were overkill for the size of my lounge, (4x3.2m), as were the RX2's.

Yeah, I am slightly worried that floorstanders may be too much. I get a lot of bass (and quite a bit of volume) from my little Missions and so really just looking to improve the actual sound quality

Then why buy floor standers....?

You seem totally sold on marantz separates, so as I said above, audition as many speakers, floor standers and stand mounts, as you can and pick your favourite, it really is not difficult.

Will it sound better than your existing system, probably and once the exitement has worn off, not by a lot.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
DougK said:

You seem totally sold on marantz separates, so as I said above, audition as many speakers, floor standers and stand mounts, as you can and pick your favourite, it really is not difficult.

Will it sound better than your existing system, probably and once the exitement has worn off, not by a lot.

What if he buys a pair of actives for 1k?

D

Deleted member 108165

Dave has basically put it in a nutshell. I'm sure others will be along with speaker suggestions but the final choice will be down to you. Do you have any decent hi-fi stores in your area who stock a wide range of brands?

Personally I have found matching the cost of each item has brought rewards for me, ie, £300 amp, then spend roughly the same amount on cdp and speakers. This is only my formula, others will have their own suggestions. The only thing I will add to this is that I believe speakers add the most value to any system so always err on the higher price for speakers.

As for amp/cdp I really like Marantz, both aesthetically and the sound quality. However, as an owner with scant knowledge of anything else I guess I would say that.

Keep us appraised of your situation as we would like to know what you eventually purchase.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
DougK said:

What if he buys a pair of actives for 1k?

It won't guarantee to cure upgrade-itis but it will give the best chance. When I first got the 9Ts their sound blew away previous passive ownership and experience. Although the 9 series have been upgraded 3[?] times their outstanding quality remains and there is not even a miniscule rumbling of needing to upgrade.

A second hand pair of AVI ADM 9T onwards [probably before that also] standmounts would give the OP a huge bang for his buck and could well see him content for ever/long time.

davedotco said:

I'm not saying I have to buy floorstanders, I just thought at first that they might give me better sound quality, more volume and be aesthetically more pleasing. I'm now starting to think that some nice bookshelves may be the better option in this price bracket and also for the size of room (I'm guessing that I can still use my metal Mission stands?)

I'm not sold on the Marantz separates, it's just an obvious choice due to the rewards and the price bracket, it's interesting for me to see that it may not make that much difference anyway and that the speakers are what are creating the most debate (especially as I actually thought mine were the strongest point of my system, shows how little I know!)

Finally, regarding a hi-fi shop, being in Cornwall I'll have to have a look to see what's around but my worry is that when you listen in a shop it's nothing like listening at home, they are going to set things up for optimum listening pleasure, a bit like when you go to see a TV in a shop and it looks incredible. Then you get it home and realise that the light etc is different. Or is this not the case?

Anyway, really appreciate all the comments so far.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

This comment has AVI DM5 written all over it. You could sell your speakers and amplifier and pick up a pair of DM5's and a suitable pre-amp to use with them for under £1000.

Check out my write up of them here: Clicky

TRENDING THREADS