Should i turn off my power amplifier and preamplifier or should i leave them on 24/7??

Thorseng

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone

Currently I am wondering if I should leave my power amplifier and preamplifier on or off. It has come to my attention when I began reading some stuff about it, but I can’t really get a satisfactory explanation.

I’ve got the Densen B200 and the B310 combo. Just if people were wondering, they have switches on the back. I also have the option of turning them into idle/standby mode. But what’s the best thing I can do?

BR

Reactions: Revolutions

podknocker

I keep my system on 24/7 and just mute it at night. Keeping the circuits at a steady temperature all the time makes sense to me.

The only kit I would turn off when not in use would be stuff like the Music Fidelity A1 amp. This Class A model will consume and waste a lot of energy when not in use, so not good for your finances, if you do worry about this of course.

Last edited:

gasolin

I keep my system on 24/7 and just mute is at night. Keeping the circuits at a steady temperature all the time makes sense to me.

The only kit I would turn off when not in use would be stuff like the Music Fidelity A1 amp. This Class A model will consume and waste a lot of energy when not in use, so not good for your finances, if you do worry about this of course.
It will add some heat to the room the amp is in but is a class a amp worth it, mabye not

Many moderen amps have aut standby just use that and make it aut go into standby, i don't since i wanna do it manually

My amp def adds heat to my room

If devices have a standby setting, so that you can wake them either with a music signal or remote, then I’d switch them to standby at night. Were I not expecting to use them for longer than say 48 hours I’d turn them off completely - as you describe with your rear switch.

What do Densen say in your handbook/manual?

Fandango Andy

Hi everyone

Currently I am wondering if I should leave my power amplifier and preamplifier on or off. It has come to my attention when I began reading some stuff about it, but I can’t really get a satisfactory explanation.

I’ve got the Densen B200 and the B310 combo. Just if people were wondering, they have switches on the back. I also have the option of turning them into idle/standby mode. But what’s the best thing I can do?

BR
Generally speaking a device with a switch hidden on the back but with a standby mode would be designed to be left in standby mode when not in use. Personally if I were unsure I would contact the manufacturer and ask for their opinion.

Fandango Andy

I keep my system on 24/7 and just mute it at night. Keeping the circuits at a steady temperature all the time makes sense to me.

Yes, if I had a Class A amp I would be turning it off when not in use too. Have you read the specs on them? Some Krell amps use as much power on standby as a average A/B amp does while playing music.

Gray

Much newer stuff uses under half a watt on standby - so it's not as much of a (financial) issue as it might once have been.

I originally wanted the option of switching everything completely off - from the front.
So in my case, the 9 switches go to a row of rear mains sockets.

Check what the actual standby consumption of your units is, multiply that by the current unit price* of your electricity.....over time, to help you decide what to do.

* Unit price gives you 1000W for an hour.
So a half watt standby costs the same over a 2000 hour period (or almost 3 months of 24/7).
IMG_20241019_142312_MP.jpg

Last edited:

Revolutions

I’ve been experimenting with power sources recently. I wanted to leave everything in standby & use a WiFi plug to switch it all on/off.

Unfortunately my active speakers didn’t like that, one of them kept on not powering up. And now I’ve realised that my amp sometimes struggles so I have to put that on standby, then turn power off at the back.

Today I removed the WiFi plug as it’s not adding anything remotely useful 😂

I’ve been experimenting with power sources recently. I wanted to leave everything in standby & use a WiFi plug to switch it all on/off.

Unfortunately my active speakers didn’t like that, one of them kept on not powering up. And now I’ve realised that my amp sometimes struggles so I have to put that on standby, then turn power off at the back.

Today I removed the WiFi plug as it’s not adding anything remotely useful 😂
I must admit I’d not trust a remotely switched socket to feed my Hifi. I use one for a lamp, which acts like a timer - on at dusk, off just before midnight.

For Hifi I feel reassured by having items plugged in at the wall or into a decent distribution block. I recently treated my kit to a Puritan Purist block, the one with no gubbins inside except star earthing. It’s so strong I reckon you could drive a tank over it and it would still work (not that I’m planning to do so! 🤣)

IMG_2695.png

TRENDING THREADS