Should I go all out and Buy a £2K AV receiver?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I am looking at the Pioneer SC-LX85 which looks like an awesome peice of kit - but will a 2K amp out perform my speaker package ? or should I go for something half the price and keep my money in my bank...

Tannoy Signature Revoluion - DC6T, DC4LCR, DC4 Rear, TS12 Sub

Also do you think there is any bnifit running 2 TS12 Subs ? My room is 24' by 9'

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
You may find that you get bored with it or it's only worth a couple of hundred pounds in a few years time, i wouldn't bother personely i would get a cheaper one, that would do the job just aswell & save some money. imo.

umbucker said:
I am looking at the Pioneer SC-LX85 which looks like an awesome peice of kit - but will a 2K amp out perform my speaker package ? or should I go for something half the price and keep my money in my bank... Tannoy Signature Revoluion - DC6T, DC4LCR, DC4 Rear, TS12 Sub Also do you think there is any bnifit running 2 TS12 Subs ? My room is 24' by 9'

Hi umbucker

I think your speakers will be good enough for the SCLX85. Fwiw, Yamaha's new Aventage RXA3010 (due out in September) at £2000 is also worth serious consideration.

Try and audition both of these AV receivers (preferably in your room) to see which one suits the most.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Of course, money spent on a good AV is always worth it. The LX85 is looking like a beast, I have the LX83 and could not be happpier with it, so i can imagine how that is going to sound!

If you wan to save some cash go for the LX83 but if you can afford it then why not get the LX85.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The current LX83 works very well with the Tannoys and although there is a change in the power on the new LX85 I suspect it will match too. We will know for sure when the 85 arrives in a week or so. Your speakers will benefit from an amp of this calibre but cutting the budget and putting the money into a new larger or additional sub may be a good bet.

There are a few bargains around the £1k mark and below at the moment but I would keep your serach to amplifiers that were orignally priced over the £1250 mark if you can. The amps at that price point tend to focus on the 2ch output and in turn will help the Tannoy's along.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
umbucker said:
I am looking at the Pioneer SC-LX85 which looks like an awesome peice of kit - but will a 2K amp out perform my speaker package ? or should I go for something half the price and keep my money in my bank... Tannoy Signature Revoluion - DC6T, DC4LCR, DC4 Rear, TS12 Sub Also do you think there is any bnifit running 2 TS12 Subs ? My room is 24' by 9'

The better you drive good quality speakers, the better they sound. It's all down to what sort of sound you're after - which receiver are you running at the moment? And is there anything about it's sound you don't like, or would improve on? Are you after a slightly warmer, softer sound, or a more forward, harder hitting sound?

As for the subs, most rooms would benefit from a second sub. This will even out the in room bass response, ease the load on your existing sub, and in turn reduce distortion. Having said that, replacing your TS10 with a larger, better quality sub will have it's benefits too - a better (and bigger) sub will have more power, and reach deeper too, giving your system greater authority and scale.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info -I am currently running A denon 2808 and just feel the speakers deserve a little more. I think the denon does struggle with the bass somewhat - especially 50HZ and below which just seems to get lost uless I power up the Sub (its a TS12 not aTS10) I dont think this amp is very good at all for music in 2CH mode.

In answer to your other question, I do favour the more focussed, Dynamic, full range sound over a warmer softer sound.

Also, Replacing the sub woofer is next on the list after the amp...I have my eye on one of those Velydone subwoofers which I hear are meant to be fantastic.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In that case the Pioneer is the way to go. Either LX83 or 85 as they will have the sound you are after. It really depends on your budget and if you want to stretch that far?

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I also have a 2808 but my speakers are Dali Ikons and i think that the amp sounds fine with those BUT the speakers will definitely benefit with more power

i am faced with a similar choice as you are ie after reading lots of information on the SC-LX85 i feel that this would be a terrific reciever to replace the 2808 yet there is still one other option available and this is to use the 2808 as a pre-processor and purchase some power amps to use via the pre-outs on the reciever

lets face it - power amp technology will rarely ever change so purchasing a set of those means that as technology changes you can buy recievers with pre-outs or pre-processors to upgrade but the amplification will not change only the features in the pre amplification so thats another thing i am considering before jumping in head first into buying a reciever that may/may not benefit me in the long run

I have also listened to many velodyne subwoofers from the impact range to the CHT range to the SPL range and i have even used a DD10 and experimented with DIY subs using velodynes SMS1 - and all are terrific products and well worth the investment especially as you go higher up the range - i would have loved to keep the DD10 that i borrowed for a while but i definitely would not be able to afford what it costs for the particular purpose of surround subwoofer duties so my ideal would be an SPL1200 which is really also a great sounding sub but if i am able to find a DD10 or DD12 second hand for cheap i would be in heaven

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
naughty573 said:
I have also listened to many velodyne subwoofers from the impact range to the CHT range to the SPL range and i have even used a DD10 and experimented with DIY subs using velodynes SMS1 - and all are terrific products and well worth the investment especially as you go higher up the range - i would have loved to keep the DD10 that i borrowed for a while but i definitely would not be able to afford what it costs for the particular purpose of surround subwoofer duties so my ideal would be an SPL1200 which is really also a great sounding sub but if i am able to find a DD10 or DD12 second hand for cheap i would be in heaven

Agreed.

I used to own a Velodyne SPL 1200R which had room EQ and was a fantastic piece of kit. I also heard the 800R, which was unfeasibly good for its size.

The other small sub which is also outstanding, is the Paradigm Seismic 110.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts