Should I fill my Super Dreadnoughts?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here's my setup

Do you think I should fill my stands with atabites?

One point I'd like to make is that the central plugs for the posts are VERY loose, and I reckon they would just fall out.

Also
the plugs for the outer posts are so tight that I reckon if I put them
in I may never get them out (without completely ruining them).

So
what do you think? Are there improvements to be had? I think it might
help as my floor is very un-even and they could do with more weight at
the bottom...

Also how much should I buy if i do?
ta

A

Anonymous

HI,

I would fill all of the sections, but don't use atabites as they are very expensive. I used kiln dried sand from a builders merchant. A large bag (quite large) costs about £4 maybe £5 max.

The main plugs were quite loose on mine as well, but I used some tape on the inside of the tube, and when the plug went into it, it tightened it up alot. Also, you could gaffer tape them up as well, and this should hold it in place.

Concerning the outer 4 tubes, jimmy the plugs out using a thin but wide flat blade screw driver, and fill them with sand as well.

I read ina review and in various places, that about 3/4 full for both is optimum, so thats what I did with mine as well.

The bass tightens up and the trebble was better too. All in all, the sound became more focused.

The speakers you got are fairly deep etc in size, so the sound will benefit from filling the stands.

Go for it and good luck with making the centre section plugs fit.

PS I am sure that the tape you use to put on threads (very thin white thread tape) would be good, as it has a gripping property, so that you could wrap that around the injection moulded inner plug.... Just a thought.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for your reply, the bit about the tape is very helpful.

I think I read somewhere that sand absorbs moisture, could this damage the stands over time?

Yes atabites are expensive, any other opinions?

Thanks again, I think I will fill them some time soon...

A

Anonymous

Or if you're daring, concrete will be better provided your floorboards will support them...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Bit of a grey area. Filling stands does'nt always improve matters. If your bass is tight and dry at present you may find it over-damps the sound, robbing it of some needed warmth as I have found with certain speakers on my atacamas. On the other hand if you have too much/soft bass it might help. Suck it and see but trying it with cheap filler first is probably advisable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Or if you're daring, concrete will be better provided your floorboards will support them...

emotion-40.gif

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Pmaninit:
Hi thanks for your reply, the bit about the tape is very helpful.

I think I read somewhere that sand absorbs moisture, could this damage the stands over time?

Yes atabites are expensive, any other opinions?

Thanks again, I think I will fill them some time soon...

I have just filled mine last week. Had a job getting dried sand, so bought the normal stuff, but couldn't remember how long to dry it out for in the oven and what temp, so after two lots on the baking tray (yes I am a female, so I couldn't shout at myself for using the tray !), I gave up ! All rather messy.

Next day, a trip to Wickes and got the pukka dried stuff. I used a small pick to get the plugs out of the outer legs which are very tight, and filled 3/4 full. Pick made it easy to pry them out.

Providing the sand is totally dry, there will be no problems with moisture.

Used lead shot for the centre, that weighed them down a bit ! Flea bay for this.

Gaffa tape round the centre insert made the insert nice and tight.

Much improved sound with 685's, and I think they suit the speakers very nicely.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Octopo:Or if you're daring, concrete will be better provided your floorboards will support them...

emotion-40.gif
ÿÿ

I tried it with some Soundstyle stands. They are still at my last place of residence due to transportation issues.

A

Anonymous

thinking of filling my dreads is 3/4 full the best way or has anyone tried full to the top.

anyone one have any experiance of atabits are they better than sand and if so how many required.

speakers 685's

A

Anonymous

hahaha, somehow I don;t think I'll be using concrete ;)

Unfortunately I don't own a car so I'll have to wait until i can get a lift to a building hardware store (and that could be a long wait)!

I can imagine that it will make a difference and think I'll try filling half way first (it's really not about having to take out the sand if I put too much in)!

thanks, I hope it'll be worth it in the end :)

A

Anonymous

If you prefer them without being filled, you can always empty the sand away out of the stand

A

Anonymous

Remove the foam bungs from the ports of your 685's. Move them out a bit, or put them somewhere else if you have to. You'll immediately get way better bass depth, Then fill the stands.

I tried using those things aswell for a while, but it makes the sound too flat and nasal.

A

Anonymous

Captain Destructo:
Remove the foam bungs from the ports of your 685's. Move them out a bit, or put them somewhere else if you have to. You'll immediately get way better bass depth, Then fill the stands.

I tried using those things aswell for a while, but it makes the sound too flat and nasal.

Hi, I wish I could move them out more, I don't have the room in this small bedroom, I have to use the foam bungs as the bass is too boomy due to their location, this is the best I can do til I finally move!

A

Anonymous

Well I just filled my stands with sand (£4 for 25kg), only used a bit!

Filled all 5 posts on both stands about 2/3 and there is MUCH more bass kick, and the bass is even tighter and less boomy, though I still have to have the foam bungs in on some dance music as the bass is insane due to the closeness of the walls.

A

Anonymous

hi there , i bought my partington stands ex demo last year i fancy filling them but have noticed there isnt any plugs in both the stands to hold the sand in with, is there anywere i can get these from ? or is there a alternative to the official plugs ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts