Should be receiving a CDP...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:
My mate gave £900 for cyrus and dac..it was 3k + when new..i paid £50 for my quad which was same price i paid for mission pcm7000..if cdp was £1200 new? And some one offers circa £400 esp after it was criticised? Lol..(unjust..arcam are ok..but electrocompaniet! Its top league) i would accept..if it were me

Which quad is it?
cdp2..it has a fault but plays fine..in fact its fab...and people who say cd players are similar? Wrong! First thing you get is 3d soundstage then you can actually see the height of the singer! As stage gets much higher..the usual stuff bout air blah blah..but what a good cdp does its so resolving in detail retrieval..it seems to change the rhythm? And the way you feel about a favourite piece of music changes! I listened to mahler on the LSO live cd..and i hadnt realised the intense complications of mahler and the consumate skill of conductor..only with a good cdp you access this level of music reproduction in my opinion..

You did well to get it for £50. Yes I heard its good on large complex music, less so on quieter stuff. How is it for rock?
been listening to avenge sevenfold and system of a down and even more testing protest the hero..not so good with mark ronson but good with ronnie size! On quieter music its fab..i have very good speakers though...so whoevercsaid not so good on quieter tracks aint got my speakers or amp or pre amp..lol

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
My mate gave £900 for cyrus and dac..it was 3k + when new..i paid £50 for my quad which was same price i paid for mission pcm7000..if cdp was £1200 new? And some one offers circa £400 esp after it was criticised? Lol..(unjust..arcam are ok..but electrocompaniet! Its top league) i would accept..if it were me

Which quad is it?
cdp2..it has a fault but plays fine..in fact its fab...and people who say cd players are similar? Wrong! First thing you get is 3d soundstage then you can actually see the height of the singer! As stage gets much higher..the usual stuff bout air blah blah..but what a good cdp does its so resolving in detail retrieval..it seems to change the rhythm? And the way you feel about a favourite piece of music changes! I listened to mahler on the LSO live cd..and i hadnt realised the intense complications of mahler and the consumate skill of conductor..only with a good cdp you access this level of music reproduction in my opinion..

You did well to get it for £50. Yes I heard its good on large complex music, less so on quieter stuff. How is it for rock?
been listening to avenge sevenfold and system of a down and even more testing protest the hero..not so good with mark ronson but good with ronnie size!

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Which quad is it?

been listening to avenge sevenfold and system of a down and even more testing protest the hero..not so good with mark ronson but good with ronnie size! 

avenge sevenfold, system of a down and protest the hero are rock bands..mark ronson is sort of disco hip hop all sorts really..roni size is drum and bass..the mark ronson cd i was referring to was 'here comes the fuzz'

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Which quad is it?

avenge sevenfold, system of a down and protest the hero are rock bands..mark ronson is sort of disco hip hop all sorts really..roni size is drum and bass..the mark ronson cd i was referring to was 'here comes the fuzz'

Never heard of them apart from last two.

You say your cd player is faulty? I read one guy had 3 Quad 99 s2 cdps and they all died, 1 was dead on arrival, one lasted 2 years and the other after a few months.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Which quad is it?

You say your cd player is faulty? I read one guy had 3 Quad 99 s2 cdps and they all died, 1 was dead on arrival, one lasted 2 years and the other after a few months.
most issues with them are transport related, with mine i have to manually push cd tray in a extra couple of mm...when it closes otherwise it doesn't read disc..no big deal considering the sound of said machine...nearly all my cd players have had minor issues except the Sony players..

K

keeper of the quays

My quad was dead on arrival too! Lol..just changed fuse..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Which quad is it?

most issues with them are transport related, with mine i have to manually push cd tray in a extra couple of mm...when it closes otherwise it doesn't read disc..no big deal considering the sound of said machine...nearly all my cd players have had minor issues except the Sony players..

Yes I heard the transport is a bit flimsy. I have to help my tray sometimes but its over 20 years old, thats why I'm considering getting something newer. Think I will stick for now unless I see a really good deal. I can always rip my cds to the computer and stream them. My rock is more 70s: Little Feat, The Who, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, The Doors etc.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Which quad is it?

Yes I heard the transport is a bit flimsy. I have to help my tray sometimes but its over 20 years old, thats why I'm considering getting something newer. Think I will stick for now unless I see a really good deal. I can always rip my cds to the computer and stream them. My rock is more 70s: Little Feat, The Who, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, The Doors etc.
how good are little feat? Fab...lowell George a genius...im partial to grateful dead too..thought Kansas incredible...i really like slade too..haha

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
The Electro is by no means poor. It just lacks a wow factor that special components have. Given my experience, I will never buy another CDP, unless it's a more budget player. The uplift in SQ just isn't worth the premium price tag.

The biggest problem now is whether I can find a buyer for the Electro. Advertised it twice since the festive period and not had a sniff. I might be lumbered with it for some time.

What sort of price are you asking?

Don't really want to divulge on here unless someone is seriously interested in taking off me. Given I'm the only owner from new, the CDP was only used in the retailer as a dem item, thus the condition is mint both aesthetically and mechanically. I've only used it a few times - the box has had more use than the player.

If anyone is interested, the mods can give you my email address.

OK thanks I understand. Just wanted a rough idea, think it will be over my budget. I may get a Marantz 8005 ex demo if the price is right.

Should be around the top end of your ex-dem budget but. as you know, forum rules won't allow too much to be divulged. It's a lot of CDP for the money - pity I can't gravitate to it.

OK, my budget is about £500, as Marantz 8005 are now under £600 I'm hoping to get a used one under £400 or I can get an Abrahamsen 1UP new for £500.

When I asked Colin, just after the festive period, about the his CDPs he suggested my Electro would'nt be worth changing. In fact, he also stated he also recently heard a Arcam CD37 which he said was "very impressive".

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
The Electro is by no means poor. It just lacks a wow factor that special components have. Given my experience, I will never buy another CDP, unless it's a more budget player. The uplift in SQ just isn't worth the premium price tag.

The biggest problem now is whether I can find a buyer for the Electro. Advertised it twice since the festive period and not had a sniff. I might be lumbered with it for some time.

Don't really want to divulge on here unless someone is seriously interested in taking off me. Given I'm the only owner from new, the CDP was only used in the retailer as a dem item, thus the condition is mint both aesthetically and mechanically. I've only used it a few times - the box has had more use than the player.

OK thanks I understand. Just wanted a rough idea, think it will be over my budget. I may get a Marantz 8005 ex demo if the price is right.

Should be around the top end of your ex-dem budget but. as you know, forum rules won't allow too much to be divulged. It's a lot of CDP for the money - pity I can't gravitate to it.

OK, my budget is about £500, as Marantz 8005 are now under £600 I'm hoping to get a used one under £400 or I can get an Abrahamsen 1UP new for £500.

When I asked Colin, just after the festive period, about the his CDPs he suggested my Electro would'nt be worth changing. In fact, he also stated he also recently heard a Arcam CD37 which he said was "very impressive".

Yes I agree going from an Electro to an Abrahamsen does not make sense. WHF were not so impressed with the Arcam CD37. Ive heard the CD27, now it could have been partly the A19 amp but it sounded very processed. I have never been overwhelmed by Arcam cdps but I used to like their amps. If you can't tell the difference between an old Arcam and an Electro then I may as well stick with my Marantz. I don't even play cds much now as so much available by streaming.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

Yes I agree going from an Electro to an Abrahamsen does not make sense. WHF were not so impressed with the Arcam CD37. Ive heard the CD27, now it could have been partly the A19 amp but it sounded very processed. I have never been overwhelmed by Arcam cdps but I used to like their amps. If you can't tell the difference between an old Arcam and an Electro then I may as well stick with my Marantz. I don't even play cds much now as so much available by streaming.

Other than what I've stated in earlier posts, I can't (and won't) tell you the difference between my Arcam and the Electro.

I'm not a hi-fi dealer so I won't give you some sales rubbish - I'm trying to unload a CDP that is surplus to requirements. I will do a good price for you, rather than spending auction fees.

It is your choice and I won't take offence whatever you decide.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

Other than what I've stated in earlier posts, I can't (and won't) tell you the difference between my Arcam and the Electro.

I'm not a hi-fi dealer so I won't give you some sales rubbish - I'm trying to unload a CDP that is surplus to requirements. I will do a good price for you, rather than spending auction fees.

It is your choice and I won't take offence whatever you decide.

you know its been looked after well and its a quality component - if i were looking for a cd player id be looking right here

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is your amp that is masking the true potential of the Electro CDP...I know you are very attached to the Leema but I my money would be on an amp upgrade rather then fettling with CDPs

p_m_brown said:
Maybe it is your amp that is masking the true potential of the Electro CDP...I know you are very attached to the Leema but I my money would be on an amp upgrade rather then fettling with CDPs

Wondered how long it would take before somebody mentioned the amp. It's happened before when I was asking about something other than amps.

Connection: All the knockers seem to come from people who wouldn't know a Leema if they tripped over one!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
p_m_brown said:

and thus we descend into the 7th level of upgrade hell, willy nilly chasing the dragon.

So where to now? Try to get a Naim CD player again or just stick with vinyl?

Wait, has anyone suggested a tube amp or active speakers yet?

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
p_m_brown said:

Wondered how long it would take before somebody mentioned the amp. It's happened before when I was asking about something other than amps.

Connection: All the knockers seem to come from people who wouldn't know a Leema if they tripped over one!
think i would rather trip over a leema than a puma!....

K

keeper of the quays

So you have a leema amp? Blimey they good..so a arcam cd vs electrocapaniet..(arcam good but compared to high or low high end? Lol..will sound good but not fab) i think you must have cheap speakers? I saw somewhere re cheap speakers at end of good kit? Its nonsense...if this isnt the case then im stumped!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
p_m_brown said:
Maybe it is your amp that is masking the true potential of the Electro CDP...I know you are very attached to the Leema but my money would be on an amp upgrade rather than fettling with CDPs

I like Leema stuff and had a Leema dac for a long time until moving to Naim so not knocking the amp at all. Just suggesting the amp MAY be holding you back

p_m_brown said:
plastic penguin said:
p_m_brown said:
Maybe it is your amp that is masking the true potential of the Electro CDP...I know you are very attached to the Leema but my money would be on an amp upgrade rather than fettling with CDPs

I like Leema stuff and had a Leema dac for a long time until moving to Naim so not knocking the amp at all. Just suggesting the amp MAY be holding you back

It's a keeper, as I've said many times. Think Naim XS, Roksan Caspian, Rega Elicit-R... and the Leema is in the same ballpark SQ-wise.

So you have a leema amp? Blimey they good..so a arcam cd vs electrocapaniet..(arcam good but compared to high or low high end? Lol..will sound good but not fab) i think you must have cheap speakers? I saw somewhere re cheap speakers at end of good kit? Its nonsense...if this isnt the case then im stumped!

Depends on what you call cheap speakers. If you mean PMC TB2i then they are spankingly good.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:

Depends on what you call cheap speakers. If you mean PMC TB2i then they are spankingly good.
nice speakers..is it possible you have been abducted by aliens? And in the spacecraft they fiddled with your ears? This is the only other explanation that explains this anomaly?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

Mmmmh, perhaps you have to prepare to be stumped ... ?

There have been numerous occasions where speaker or amplifier manufacturers have upturned the hifi status quo by pairing one expensive with one not so during demonstrations to (very) good reported effect.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:

Mmmmh, perhaps you have to prepare to be stumped ... ?

There have been numerous occasions where speaker or amplifier manufacturers have upturned the hifi status quo by pairing one expensive with one not so during demonstrations to (very) good reported effect.

Yes I think its been demonstrated decent amp with budget speakers can sound good, also some expensive speakers with poor amp will not sound good, in fact it may not even work.

plastic penguin said:

nice speakers..is it possible you have been abducted by aliens? And in the spacecraft they fiddled with your ears? This is the only other explanation that explains this anomaly?

The answer is simple: I just prefer the Arcam sound to the Electro presentation. And as vinyl and radio is the prime source of music, the cheapo Arcam will suffice and which means the Electro has now become redundant in my system.

I owned Arcam amps for 14 unbroken years before buying the Leema, so it isn't surprising I've gravitated towards the CD73.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:

The answer is simple: I just prefer the Arcam sound to the Electro presentation. And as vinyl and radio is the prime source of music, the cheapo Arcam will suffice and which means the Electro has now become redundant in my system.

I owned Arcam amps for 14 unbroken years before buying the Leema, so it isn't surprising I've gravitated towards the CD73.
Its that simple then..no aliens? Oh well...as long as your happy with it! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts