Should be receiving a CDP...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:
I'm surprised that you think the arcam equal to electrocompaniet? I have a arcam dv135 it's ok..nothing special..if your ever down in Hastings? Let me have the electro in my system for a week..ill lend you my quad cdp2..i would be very interested how it sounds through my kit..

"Essentially, a DVD player is a cinematic device that plays CD's. So if your priority [and room allows] is for music then a CD player everytime. If you're a movie-buff and CD reproduction is secondary then the DVD is the ticket."

Guess who said that? *scratch_one-s_head*
It sounds ok with cd..as good as most of my cheaper cd players..esp good as a transport..cant imagine a dedicated arcam cd player is going to be that much better? Maybe read CDs quicker?

It was a quote by Plastic Penguin about 8 years ago, sorry I should have made it clearer. Yes they are slow I nearly bought a Cambridge BD player, thats another story.

That is confirmed in #23. At the very least I've been consistent.

plastic penguin said:
There is a noticeable difference between DVD players and dedicated CDPs. Not night and day but audible. There's even a difference between my Panny Blu-Ray and Arcam.

No doubt there'll be a difference between the Electrocompaniet and a Quad CDP - that'll be tonal as the Electro and Arcam are both very neutral machines.
Well? Through my kit the arcam aquitted itself well against my other players..except mission pcm 7000 which is just brilliant! (for a old machine) the quad is uo another level and I just find it difficult to see the electro is so similar? Electrocompaniet is high end! Your machine would of been my player of choice if I could have afforded it...just goes to show that more money don't mean more sonic bliss..maybe? So similar to arcam..not quad

Since when has £1200 been classed as 'high end'?

Just remembered. About 3 years ago, Chebby will probably recall this, I had a dem at PJ Hi-fi down in Guildford, to listen to Dacs and other sources. I took the Arcam CD73 with me but not the amp.

Anyway, the dealer tried an Olive entry-level streamer/ripping and a Naim NDX something streamer. The Naim was about 5k. Anyway, he had a Niam XS amp and Dynaduio Contour S1.4 speakers, and apart from a little better clarity the Naim streamer didn't significantly outgun the cheapo Arcam - certainly not 4.5ks worth. I came back feeling a little gloomy.

I'll try and look for the thread later, just in case I'm talking out of my hat.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
There is a noticeable difference between DVD players and dedicated CDPs. Not night and day but audible. There's even a difference between my Panny Blu-Ray and Arcam.

No doubt there'll be a difference between the Electrocompaniet and a Quad CDP - that'll be tonal as the Electro and Arcam are both very neutral machines.
Well? Through my kit the arcam aquitted itself well against my other players..except mission pcm 7000 which is just brilliant! (for a old machine) the quad is uo another level and I just find it difficult to see the electro is so similar? Electrocompaniet is high end! Your machine would of been my player of choice if I could have afforded it...just goes to show that more money don't mean more sonic bliss..maybe? So similar to arcam..not quad

So which Quad CD player do you have and how much did it cost?

I'm thinking about buying an Abrahamsen which I presume is very simillar to the Electro.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:

Since when has £1200 been classed as 'high end'?
well its reviewed in my old what hifi magazine at last segment of cd players..£1000 and upwards! So i think its at the low end of high end? Lol..i think your suffering from expectation bias! Think your fed up with electro (why get the arcam?) and now the arcam had fufilled your expectation? Poor old electro is in the doldrums..this is the only explanation i can think of to explain your findings! Im not saying this is so..but it isn't your hearing as your wife felt the same re arcam vs poor hapless electro..(my tongue firmly in cheek haha no malice intended..)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Just goes to show how little difference the cd player/dac can make.

Also makes me laugh when what hifi give the mdac 5 stars but the qdac only 3 (or 4) cant remember but you see my point.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's accepted that CDP's up to a certain price point do sound quite similar and to gain a noticeable upgrade in SQ, certainly in my experience, you do have to spend considerably more than £1200.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
I think it's accepted that CDP's up to a certain price point do sound quite similar and to gain a noticeable upgrade in SQ, certainly in my experience, you do have to spend considerably more than £1200.

Mac

In the Rega room at the Bristol Show earlier this year I was speaking to one of the Rega reps. I have the full width case Apollo CDP, and when I asked about adding the current Rega DAC, I was advised to purchase the Saturn-R CDP to get any real improvement.

The Electro is by no means poor. It just lacks a wow factor that special components have. Given my experience, I will never buy another CDP, unless it's a more budget player. The uplift in SQ just isn't worth the premium price tag.

The biggest problem now is whether I can find a buyer for the Electro. Advertised it twice since the festive period and not had a sniff. I might be lumbered with it for some time.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The Electro is by no means poor. It just lacks a wow factor that special components have. Given my experience, I will never buy another CDP, unless it's a more budget player. The uplift in SQ just isn't worth the premium price tag.

The biggest problem now is whether I can find a buyer for the Electro. Advertised it twice since the festive period and not had a sniff. I might be lumbered with it for some time.

What sort of price are you asking?

K

keeper of the quays

Macspur said:
I think it's accepted that CDP's up to a certain price point do sound quite similar and to gain a noticeable upgrade in SQ, certainly in my experience,  you do have to spend considerably more than £1200.

Mac

i think £1200 is a good start..my quad cdp2 is great but my mates cyrus with its dac and now with both seperate power supplies too.its fantastic...makes my quad seem bit 'meh'

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The truth was all but nailed on Post 18, but every time I try to point out the reality of this [in other threads] certain people shoot me down (what ever did happen to ThompsonUXB?):

plastic penguin said:
4) Is it that [digital] sources don't give you as big an upgrade as amps or speakers?

Forgive my edit of the original post, for clarity. But yes, compared to changing your amp and speakers, throwing cash at the (digital) source-end of the chain will never reap the same dividends.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

I think the Quad is made to sound quite analogue, warm and laid back from what I have read. I may go have a demo soon of the Quad Elite, so will let you know if I do.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's a topic that is coming back every month.

CD player and dvd player use same logic, same mechanics and same components. It's even more the case if you stay in the cd player family. The great majority of the market is making cd players that are not different from another when tested seriously. Some builders are now trying to break this in putting noise and distorsion in the signal, so you can hear a difference. It's less than ideal, but it's different... for sure.

You will find all answers on this german thread. And the main reason why so much peoples are believing to hear differences is simple and vast in the same time. Psychology.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
It's a topic that is coming back every month.

CD player and dvd player use same logic, same mechanics and same components. It's even more the case if you stay in the cd player family. The great majority of the market is making cd players that are not different from another when tested seriously. Some builders are now trying to break this in putting noise and distorsion in the signal, so you can hear a difference. It's less than ideal, but it's different... for sure.

You will find all answers on this german thread. And the main reason why so much peoples are believing to hear differences is simple and vast in the same time. Psychology.

If you can speak german.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree about CD players which I found out when I changed mine marantz sa8005 to a abrahamsen 1up there is not much difference between both I would say the abrahamsen just beats the marantz in music detail but at least it matches the amp but yes I do agree that this CD players are neutral sounding

MajorFubar said:
The truth was all but nailed on Post 18, but every time I try to point out the reality of this [in other threads] certain people shoot me down (what ever did happen to ThompsonUXB?):

plastic penguin said:
4) Is it that [digital] sources don't give you as big an upgrade as amps or speakers?

Forgive my edit of the original post, for clarity. But yes, compared to changing your amp and speakers, throwing cash at the (digital) source-end of the chain will never reap the same dividends.

Not ignored by me. If I don't respond it's because I don't have an answer.

Editing shouldn't be needed as "sources" mentioned in this context is purely about the CDP.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

Don't really want to divulge on here unless someone is seriously interested in taking off me. Given I'm the only owner from new, the CDP was only used in the retailer as a dem item, thus the condition is mint both aesthetically and mechanically. I've only used it a few times - the box has had more use than the player.

If anyone is interested, the mods can give you my email address.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

Don't really want to divulge on here unless someone is seriously interested in taking off me. Given I'm the only owner from new, the CDP was only used in the retailer as a dem item, thus the condition is mint both aesthetically and mechanically. I've only used it a few times - the box has had more use than the player.

OK thanks I understand. Just wanted a rough idea, think it will be over my budget. I may get a Marantz 8005 ex demo if the price is right.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

OK thanks I understand. Just wanted a rough idea, think it will be over my budget. I may get a Marantz 8005 ex demo if the price is right.

Should be around the top end of your ex-dem budget but. as you know, forum rules won't allow too much to be divulged. It's a lot of CDP for the money - pity I can't gravitate to it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:

Should be around the top end of your ex-dem budget but. as you know, forum rules won't allow too much to be divulged. It's a lot of CDP for the money - pity I can't gravitate to it.

OK, my budget is about £500, as Marantz 8005 are now under £600 I'm hoping to get a used one under £400 or I can get an Abrahamsen 1UP new for £500.

K

keeper of the quays

My mate gave £900 for cyrus and dac..it was 3k + when new..i paid £50 for my quad which was same price i paid for mission pcm7000..if cdp was £1200 new? And some one offers circa £400 esp after it was criticised? Lol..(unjust..arcam are ok..but electrocompaniet! Its top league) i would accept..if it were me

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My mate gave £900 for cyrus and dac..it was 3k + when new..i paid £50 for my quad which was same price i paid for mission pcm7000..if cdp was £1200 new? And some one offers circa £400 esp after it was criticised? Lol..(unjust..arcam are ok..but electrocompaniet! Its top league) i would accept..if it were me

Which quad is it?

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:

Which quad is it?
cdp2..it has a fault but plays fine..in fact its fab...and people who say cd players are similar? Wrong! First thing you get is 3d soundstage then you can actually see the height of the singer! As stage gets much higher..the usual stuff bout air blah blah..but what a good cdp does its so resolving in detail retrieval..it seems to change the rhythm? And the way you feel about a favourite piece of music changes! I listened to mahler on the LSO live cd..and i hadnt realised the intense complications of mahler and the consumate skill of conductor..only with a good cdp you access this level of music reproduction in my opinion..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

Which quad is it?
cdp2..it has a fault but plays fine..in fact its fab...and people who say cd players are similar? Wrong! First thing you get is 3d soundstage then you can actually see the height of the singer! As stage gets much higher..the usual stuff bout air blah blah..but what a good cdp does its so resolving in detail retrieval..it seems to change the rhythm? And the way you feel about a favourite piece of music changes! I listened to mahler on the LSO live cd..and i hadnt realised the intense complications of mahler and the consumate skill of conductor..only with a good cdp you access this level of music reproduction in my opinion..

You did well to get it for £50. Yes I heard its good on large complex music, less so on quieter stuff. How is it for rock?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts