Should be receiving a CDP...

...either today or tomorrow.

Given my discontent with CDs over recent months, certainly since the Naim was sold, I've purchased an old Arcam CD73T.

Trying to discover whether it's the format I've fallen out of love with or if it's the Electrocompaniet not cutting the mustard. All I know at the moment is I've gravitated more and more towards vinyl. As I've had a 73T for many years, as most of you know, and loved it, it's a good testing point. At least if it is the format the Arcam will be easier to sell than the Electro.

Hey-ho.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope you achieve the desired result. I'm assuming its the player rather than the format as you seemed happy with the Naim.

On another level, I feel that something is right with the world when plasticpenguin is using Arcam kit.

I think arcams cd players are a bit underrated by some,used to have a 72t and took it to the dealers for the upgrade module to cd82 and it was a decent step up and it could easily hold it's own against my naim cd5i italic at a good few hundred quid more expensive . haven't heard the 73t but it should be akin to a cd82 I reckon . I'm a bit the same Pp as I've kind of fallen out with the format and find myself with a strange vinyl buying addiction at the moment.damn,it's costing me a fortune.Try and not fall out of love for the good old cd.lol . it's nice and cheap where the opposite used to be the case . it's a strange world.

ID. said:
I hope you achieve the desired result. I'm assuming its the player rather than the format as you seemed happy with the Naim.

On another level, I feel that something is right with the world when plasticpenguin is using Arcam kit.

Hehe... I've always been a big Arcam fanboy. Between 1997 and 2010 I've had two amps: Arcam Alpha 7R and A65+. The Leema broke that cycle. Loved my CD73 with the Leema but feel (musically) detached from the format, hence...

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I think arcams cd players are a bit underrated by some,used to have a 72t and took it to the dealers for the upgrade module to cd82 and it was a decent step up and it could easily hold it's own against my naim cd5i italic at a good few hundred quid more expensive . haven't heard the 73t but it should be akin to a cd82 I reckon . I'm a bit the same Pp as I've kind of fallen out with the format and find myself with a strange vinyl buying addiction at the moment.damn,it's costing me a fortune.Try and not fall out of love for the good old cd.lol . it's nice and cheap where the opposite used to be the case . it's a strange world.

Yup. I found the Naim incredibly musical, as I did the Arcams. I've not heard the 82 but have the 192, which was a hoot to listen to. Inoffensive but amazingly foot-tapping.

Listened to loads of arcam disc spinners.

and my favourite of them all ( Sound Wise) was the original Arcam Alpha. I bought it second hand for 30 quid, gave it away a few years later when I bought a dv88.

absolutely lovely sounding.

If anyone is in the market for a cheap used CD player, give the Alpha a go.

Picked it up this evening and it's like inviting an old friend. All seems to work okay...

How does it sound? well it's tricky to say because I only had a quick listen... in isolation as the Electro hasn't been used for a couple of months. Nevertheless, the Arcam has something the Electro doesn't, although what that "something" is I can't quite say at this stage.

Perhaps it's the familiarity, or it's slightly coloured... or even more neutral. One thing I am confident of is the Electro isn't anywhere near £700 better than the humble Arcam.

I'll rig up the Electro tomorrow and do some proper testing.

plastic penguin said:
Not had the chance to compare today. Woke up this morning feeling like a dogs dinner - going down with a buggypoos. In fact, the hi-fi hasn't been on all day. First time on gawds knows when.

Once I'm feeling a bit more glossy I'll have a tamper.

Hoping you get well soon boyo.

Last night had a comparison between the two CDPs. Very difficult to find the virtues of the Electrocompaniet. I roped in Mrs. P to make sure I wasn't going doolally. After playing several genres (one or two tracks from each selection) we both had trouble to justify why the Electro wasn't more significant.

At a push, the Electro could have a slightly more cohesive presentation... but could not hear any improvement with detail or bass definition. We were both scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find an audible difference.

If it was a horse race the judges would decide by a photo finish. More questions than answers:

1) Is it because the room isn't allowing the system to fully breath?

2) Could it be our hearing be knackered?

3) Perhaps it could be the Arcam is exceptional for its price and/or the Electro is sub-standard?

4) Is it that sources don't give you as big an upgrade as amps or speakers?

It isn't because the amp and speakers are sub-standard: If I still had the A65+ and RS6s I would say that is possible but...

I like the Arcam: More interesting to look at and the remote control has... well, more control over the machine. The SQ ain't half shabby, either.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Last night had a comparison between the two CDPs. Very difficult to find the virtues of the Electrocompaniet. I roped in Mrs. P to make sure I wasn't going doolally. After playing several genres (one or two tracks from each selection) we both had trouble to justify why the Electro wasn't more significant.

At a push, the Electro could have a slightly more cohesive presentation... but could not hear any improvement with detail or bass definition. We were both scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find an audible difference.

If it was a horse race the judges would decide by a photo finish. More questions than answers:

1) Is it because the room isn't allowing the system to fully breath?

2) Could it be our hearing be knackered?

3) Perhaps it could be the Arcam is exceptional for its price and/or the Electro is sub-standard?

4) Is it that sources don't give you as big an upgrade as amps or speakers?

It isn't because the amp and speakers are sub-standard: If I still had the A65+ and RS6s I would say that is possible but...

I like the Arcam: More interesting to look at and the remote control has... well, more control over the machine. The SQ ain't half shabby, either.

perhaps all digital sources that measure flat do sound the same or very similar ;)

K

keeper of the quays

I'm surprised that you think the arcam equal to electrocompaniet? I have a arcam dv135 it's ok..nothing special..if your ever down in Hastings? Let me have the electro in my system for a week..ill lend you my quad cdp2..i would be very interested how it sounds through my kit..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
I'm surprised that you think the arcam equal to electrocompaniet? I have a arcam dv135 it's ok..nothing special..if your ever down in Hastings? Let me have the electro in my system for a week..ill lend you my quad cdp2..i would be very interested how it sounds through my kit..

"Essentially, a DVD player is a cinematic device that plays CD's. So if your priority [and room allows] is for music then a CD player everytime. If you're a movie-buff and CD reproduction is secondary then the DVD is the ticket."

Guess who said that? *scratch_one-s_head*

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:

"Essentially, a DVD player is a cinematic device that plays CD's. So if your priority [and room allows] is for music then a CD player everytime. If you're a movie-buff and CD reproduction is secondary then the DVD is the ticket."

Guess who said that? *scratch_one-s_head*
It sounds ok with cd..as good as most of my cheaper cd players..esp good as a transport..cant imagine a dedicated arcam cd player is going to be that much better? Maybe read CDs quicker?

There is a noticeable difference between DVD players and dedicated CDPs. Not night and day but audible. There's even a difference between my Panny Blu-Ray and Arcam.

No doubt there'll be a difference between the Electrocompaniet and a Quad CDP - that'll be tonal as the Electro and Arcam are both very neutral machines.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
There is a noticeable difference between DVD players and dedicated CDPs. Not night and day but audible. There's even a difference between my Panny Blu-Ray and Arcam.

No doubt there'll be a difference between the Electrocompaniet and a Quad CDP - that'll be tonal as the Electro and Arcam are both very neutral machines.
Well? Through my kit the arcam aquitted itself well against my other players..except mission pcm 7000 which is just brilliant! (for a old machine) the quad is uo another level and I just find it difficult to see the electro is so similar? Electrocompaniet is high end! Your machine would of been my player of choice if I could have afforded it...just goes to show that more money don't mean more sonic bliss..maybe? So similar to arcam..not quad

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

"Essentially, a DVD player is a cinematic device that plays CD's. So if your priority [and room allows] is for music then a CD player everytime. If you're a movie-buff and CD reproduction is secondary then the DVD is the ticket."

Guess who said that? *scratch_one-s_head*
It sounds ok with cd..as good as most of my cheaper cd players..esp good as a transport..cant imagine a dedicated arcam cd player is going to be that much better? Maybe read CDs quicker?

It was a quote by Plastic Penguin about 8 years ago, sorry I should have made it clearer. Yes they are slow I nearly bought a Cambridge BD player, thats another story.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts