Setting subwoofer for music. Pioneer SC LX82

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello all. Been a while Since I posted.

Been playing about with my setup on these dark evenings! Listening to tunes from Node 2i via analogue Into LX82.

I have been using my sub on occasion for music. (Listening in direct mode). On moving the crossover up the way from 60 hZ to 100hZ. I think the sq is better At the higher crossover. Is this right? Music from the RX6 sounds thin with no depth at lower cross over. Been reading threads for movies you should set cross over +10 above your speakers low point? Movies sound fine. lower cross over 60hZ creates great low end bang from the sub.. Should I need to change cross over for music and movies. Have I missed something?

thanks all

john

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hey Bb. Great to hear from u..

its the monitor audio RX W. I bought it all together as a complete set up. (Had to carry out a few repairs to the sub in the last 24 months- Monitor Audio were great to work with). I guess what I’m saying is that stereo music doesn’t sound as good in direct mode with front pair & sub going. Altering the crossover helps with this hugely.. Is that normal or am I missing something? Speakers are all set to small. Mcacc has been done. Think I have the amp crossover set to 60 hZ for movies.

Is it because the fronts are integrating with the sub better with higher crossover?
Lower crossover means the stereo pair are missing out the bass and perhaps a portion of the midrange?

any thread I read about hifi users using a sub don’t have a crossover they connect @ speaker level turn up the sub until they hear it and then turn it down a fraction. i haven’t managed to find anyone that is using analogue (using node 2i dac for anything up to MQA) into a home cinema amp.

Current movies settings are spot on. Music via pure direct is spot on. Music via direct with sub is average..(at best)

if you know of any threads a link would be grand….
watched Andrew Robinson’s sub positioning video on YouTube it was very good.. I defaulted to placing sub on left hand side of front.

I have started pulling the RX 6 into the room by upto a meter for music and the difference is massive! (Put them back to the wall for movies though..). It sounds way better for music.

any help would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

John

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Who else from the old days is still about? Home cinema doesn’t get as much use as it used to. iPads seem to be taking over the world. Planning to get the kids watching Tin Tin tonight on Blu Ray.

Predictive text is a bit patchy on the site with an iPad?

abacus

As a general rule of thumb you set the speakers to small for films with a crossover around 80Hz (The exact setting depends on your room and speakers), whereas set then to large (Left & Right) for music and use the sub to fill in at the point that the speakers roll off. (By default the Pioneer switches the front left/right to large and switches the sub off when listening in stereo)
Setup 2 MACCs (One for films & one for music) to get the best out of your system. (If you switch to direct mode you will be listening more to the room rather than just the speakers, so best to ignore)
In the end it comes down to what suits your ears, so don’t be afraid to experiment.

Bill

Reactions: john1000000boy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts