Separation

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
System upgrade I am looking for an upgrade to improve the sound separation Any suggestions ? System: Cambridge 640C v2, Cambridge 540A v2, Monitor Audio BR5, QED Silver Anniversary, Cambridge Azur Interconnect, Atacama Equinox 2 Music: Smooth Jazz

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
How much money do you have for your upgrade? I'd say your amp is the weakest link in your system - a step up from the 540A to 640A V2 would help, though mixing and matching your separates and adding Marantz's PM6002 amp or Rotel's RA-04 should yield even more improvement.

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Hang on!

Clare, I too have the Cambridge 640c v2, but matched with MA Bronze BR2 speakers. I am about to replace the weak link in my system a Cambridge Audio A5 amp and was all set to upgrade to the Cambridge 640a v2, which I thought you suggested was the best combination, but here you suggest either the Marantz or Rotel will be more rewarding. Should I re-think my options?

A

Anonymous

I would look at prima luna, Copland, Puresound, unison research, sudgen amp wise if I was you, if your going to upgrade , then make the upgrade worthwhile, also then look at speakers from Sonus Faber, pro-ac, diaphson, opera if I was you, it will suit jazz music rather nicely indeedly.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="MiddleMan"]
Clare, I too have the Cambridge 640c v2, but matched with MA Bronze BR2 speakers. I am about to replace the weak link in my system a Cambridge Audio A5 amp and was all set to upgrade to the Cambridge 640a v2, which I thought you suggested was the best combination, but here you suggest either the Marantz or Rotel will be more rewarding. Should I re-think my options?

[/quote]

Several factors in play here - for a start, this query dealt with the BR5 speakers, which are a step up from the BR2s, size and price-wise.

There are many reasons the CA 640A v2 would be good with your set-up (not least matching tone, aesthetic and need for only one remote), but as our Buyer's Guide shows, it has been slightly outpointed by the newer Rotel RA-04 and Marantz PM6002 amps, both of which may be more suitable if you're planning a speaker upgrade, too.

If you're in the market for a sub-£300 amp, you should ideally audition all three (and read the stereo amp test in our March issue, out Feb 7th.)

T

the record spot

[quote user="silly"]I would look at prima luna, Copland, Puresound, unison research, sudgen amp wise if I was you, if your going to upgrade , then make the upgrade worthwhile, also then look at speakers from Sonus Faber, pro-ac, diaphson, opera if I was you, it will suit jazz music rather nicely indeedly.[/quote]

Silly, check the guy's gear out - he's playing out on the first rung of the hifi ladder (no disrespect mate); slapping in a £1200 Sugden, Copland or any of the others only adds a complete imbalance and shows up what the system isn't capable of.

Over and above the Marantz and Rotel, you could seek out the earlier Marantz PM7200 which will be a good upgrade from the Cambridge, has a Class A performance belying the outlay and will itself withstand upgrade. There's Audiolab's recent 8000 back on the market again too to name but two.

All depends on your budget, but anything up to the £500 bracket will serve you well just now and for an upgrad or two yet. Spending more is probably unwise unless you want to boost elsewhere (and to a similar standard) too,

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up Clare. I have only just upgraded to the Monitor Audio's anyway and I would really like to have a remote for the amp this time. So this leaves the Cambridge and the Marantz. I will certainly read the sub £300 amp test in the next issue before making my mind up and the get an audition on them both as well. My only other concern is if there is a v3 of the CA on the horizon soon, and perhaps it may be worth waiting a little longer. The authetics and remote control compatability of the Cambridge give it an adavantage, but if the Marantz is better on sound, then obviously this is the ultimate decider. I have always prefered Rotel to Marantz in the past, but the extra £100 for a remote with the RA-05 model does not make financial sense to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts