Seems all new release BDPs will be 3D................why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
TechMad: Practically any current blu-ray player could be made 3D via a firmware update. It is just companies choose not to add it to their low end players - so they can charge a premium for it while the going is good.

Errr....no. You cannot make any blu-ray player 3D ready just by a firmware update. You need a fast processor to run 3D, which none of the older blu-ray players had except the PS3. PS3 had a fast processor already to run graphics-intense games. That's why only the PS3 could be made 3D ready.

Dalesman:grdunn123:
I think 3D is in it's infancy and is here to stay - like it or not. It will evolve as most things do and will be taken for granted within 5 years.

This doesn't mean that 2D will die out, far from it, it will be as popular as SD is now compared to HD.

3D has been around for donkey years,I remember watching 3D movies as a kid 30 or so years ago.

Still in its infancy? Its a useless format and has never taken off and never will.

Yes, 3D has been around for a number of years, but the technology is now different. The older anaglyph 3D technology required the user to wear red/blue glasses. That 3D was poor as compared to the current polarization 3D technology. Rubbishing it as a useless format is plain ignorance (I myself was ignorant until I saw the newer films in the cinema).

Check this.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
Errr....no. You cannot make any blu-ray player 3D ready just by a firmware update. You need a fast processor to run 3D, which none of the older blu-ray players had except the PS3. PS3 had a fast processor already to run graphics-intense games. That's why only the PS3 could be made 3D ready.

U greatly over-estimate how complex 3d is. MVC codec typically has less than 50% overhead compared to 2D. Dont forget standalone's decode BD in hardware, not in software like the PS3 does. Do u really think the Sony S370 doesnt do 3D because its hardware cant cope? The only reason it is not 3d -equipped is that Sony wants u to buy a more expensive model.

A 1080p24 3D blu-ray requires less hdmi bandwidth than the old 1080p60.

TechMad:
U greatly over-estimate how complex 3d is.

Not really. I'm not overestimating anything. I do now that when 3D first came, other blu-ray players couldn't be updated to play 3D discs except the PS3.

Do u really think the Sony S370 doesnt do 3D because its hardware cant cope?

I can't say anything about the S370 (as it was built in a generation of 3D blu-ray players), but the players before the S360/560/760 era couldn't be updated to play 3D discs by a mere firmware update.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:Dalesman:grdunn123:
I think 3D is in it's infancy and is here to stay - like it or not. It will evolve as most things do and will be taken for granted within 5 years.

This doesn't mean that 2D will die out, far from it, it will be as popular as SD is now compared to HD.

3D has been around for donkey years,I remember watching 3D movies as a kid 30 or so years ago.

Still in its infancy? Its a useless format and has never taken off and never will.

Yes, 3D has been around for a number of years, but the technology is now different. The older anaglyph 3D technology required the user to wear red/blue glasses. That 3D was poor as compared to the current polarization 3D technology. Rubbishing it as a useless format is plain ignorance (I myself was ignorant until I saw the newer films in the cinema).

Check this.

Just because you have 3000 posts and access to Wikipedia doesn't make you an expert on 3D.

Most of the people prefer 2D and always will, that is a FACT.

Dalesman:
Just because you have 3000 posts and access to Wikipedia doesn't make you an expert on 3D.

Most of the people prefer 2D and always will, that is a FACT.

I've never claimed to be an expert in 3D. I'm merely pointing out that 3D technology 30 years ago was completely different to what it is today. Wikipedia is one of the sources of this information. You can provide evidence that I'm wrong about the 3D technology, I'll be happy to accept it.

About 'most' people preferring 2D to 3D, really depends on where you're watching it.

In a cinema, there's no denying of the fact that if a film is released in 2D & 3D versions, most tickets sell for the 3D version.

At home, it's true that most people still prefer 2D, including myself. But saying this will "always" be the case.....not sure of that. A few years ago, people rubbished HD in a similar way, & now we all prefer HD.

TRENDING THREADS