Seems all new release BDPs will be 3D................why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:
the_lhc

So...............we'll agree to disagree on this then, your analogy with BluRay/DVD is not relevant as backward compatibility was always a requirement!

So you think the ability for a 3D player to play 2D is NOT a requirement? That's backwards compatibility as well you know, ergo, it's entirely relevant!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not withstanding the who's right/who's wrong argument, it still stands that if I want to purchase a next gen BDP player it will be 3D and there is a premium added for this..................I am asking for a next gen 2D player without the premium;

1. because I don't need 3D

2. because 3D is flavour of the month the premium is being added, if all comments re chip costs etc are to be believed

not an unreasonable request really.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:Not withstanding the who's right/who's wrong argument,

What do you mean "notwithstanding"? That's the whole point, you asked me to look at the comparisons you gave and I've shown you there is no real premium on 3D, unless you're only prepared to pay for the very cheapest players. So your specious argument is a waste of time and the only person missing out is you!

Look at Sony's new range, all bar the cheapest model is 3D, now look at WHFs review site for BDPs and select Sony, now compare the prices of the 3D *70 range, against the previous 2D *60 range:

Sony BDP-S770 ***** £280
Sony BDP-S760 ****£330

Sony BDP-S570 *****£230
Sony BDP-S560 ****£240

So even on release the new 5* 3D models are CHEAPER than the previous generation 2D models AND they outperform them in every department INCLUDING 2D performance!

But feel free to just keep ignoring everything I'm telling you, simply because it doesn't fit with your narrow viewpoint.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I think 3D IS here to stay. It's new and as such is quite expensive just now but look at how dvd players and discs fell in price... same should happen given some time :)

I look forward to sitting enjoying a good 3D movie in my lounge with my 3D specs on.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
the_Ihc ''Guh, for the love of...''

Lol, sure it is gimicky ... but movies yet to be made 'might' be real good... so for a pop-corn couple of hours... it would be good fun watching some big budget nonsense in 3D
emotion-19.gif

I wouldn't give them the money for it is just now ... but in the future ... maybe.

We can't blame Sony or any other company wanting to cash-in though.... it's their job to market well and make as much money as they can.... like Sky do. I was wondering... if I ever got Sky TV, would they charge me for making a cup of tea at half-time during a football match ?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:fayeanddavid:
Not withstanding the who's right/who's wrong argument,What do you mean "notwithstanding"? That's the whole point, you asked me to look at the comparisons you gave and I've shown you there is no real premium on 3D, unless you're only prepared to pay for the very cheapest players. So your specious argument is a waste of time and the only person missing out is you!Look at Sony's new range, all bar the cheapest model is 3D, now look at WHFs review site for BDPs and select Sony, now compare the prices of the 3D *70 range, against the previous 2D *60 range:Sony BDP-S770 ***** £280Sony BDP-S760 ****£330Sony BDP-S570 *****£230Sony BDP-S560 ****£240So even on release the new 5* 3D models are CHEAPER than the previous generation 2D models AND they outperform them in every department INCLUDING 2D performance!But feel free to just keep ignoring everything I'm telling you, simply because it doesn't fit with your narrow viewpoint.

Narrow? ..................I thought it quite expansive and interesting for debate

Clearly not in your world, however I continue to hold the view that going forward there will be no choice but to buy 3D BDP as a new release which is my point!!

manicm

Sony et al will include 3D in nearly all their products because they've reached scales of economy which allow them to do so.

Case in point: SACD on the BDP-S370 but which is all but completely useless.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
manicm:
Sony et al will include 3D in nearly all their products because they've reached scales of economy which allow them to do so.

manicm

Agreed, and that is what the thread is about, in this case SACD is not an option but is as you say ..............

Guess that is really where I am coming from, technology foisted upon us for good or bad, and in this thread without any choice.

A

Anonymous

i can't understand where you're coming from fayeandavid, there's hardly any price difference between 2d and dual 2d and 3d players. the new cambridge audio player shouldn't neccessarily cost so much more than the 650bd just because it's a 3d player..

as the_lhc pointed out, there's hardly anything between sonys (and others) 2d and 3d players so why would the price difference between the two cambridge players be about 3d? perhaps they're just trying to make as much money as possible based on the success of the bd650?

and anyway, the new oppo is only £100 more than the old one, and as has been said, that price will surely drop..

A

Anonymous

Dude, 3D is cheap. I paid less than £900 for a 50" 3D plasma, 3D BDP, 4x3D films and 2x3D glasses. What a bargain. WO all the guff I was looking at £600+ for a bog standard 50" plasma.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:manicm:

manicm

Agreed, and that is what the thread is about, in this case SACD is not an option but is as you say ..............

Guess that is really where I am coming from, technology foisted upon us for good or bad, and in this thread without any choice.

No, your point, all the way through this thread, has been that this extra functionality is going to cost you more money and now that we've established that isn't the case, you've changed your position.

So, given that it ISN'T going to cost you any extra money, what exactly IS your point?

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The point is with all the 3d hype , at present there nothing worth watching at home with your daft 3d goggles on . Even the mighty Avatar isn,t available. So at present 3D has the same use as the 8th Hdmi port on an av receiver.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

i can't understand where you're coming from fayeandavid, there's hardly any price difference between 2d and dual 2d and 3d players. the new cambridge audio player shouldn't neccessarily cost so much more than the 650bd just because it's a 3d player..

as the_lhc pointed out, there's hardly anything between sonys (and others) 2d and 3d players so why would the price difference between the two cambridge players be about 3d? perhaps they're just trying to make as much money as possible based on the success of the bd650?

and anyway, the new oppo is only £100 more than the old one, and as has been said, that price will surely drop..

The old Oppo was never officially sold in the UK so no comparison is possible. In the US, the 83 cost $499 and the new 93 costs $499. I do not know why anyone thinks the 93 costs more than the 83.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:fayeanddavid:manicm:

manicm

No, your point, all the way through this thread, has been that this extra functionality is going to cost you more money and now that we've established that isn't the case, you've changed your position.So, given that it ISN'T going to cost you any extra money, what exactly IS your point?

The point is exactly the headline title of the thread!!

fayeanddavid: Cambridge replacement for 650BD so far seems to be £700 plus not the current £400

Wrong. The newly announced Cambridge Audio 751BD is NOT a replacement for the 650BD, but a premium model with improved DAC and circuitry (something like what Oppo 95 is to Oppo 93).

The replacement for the 650BD will be the 651BD which Cambridge Audio has not announced yet.

fayeanddavid: The point is exactly the headline title of the thread!!

Suppose I'm a manufacturer of blu-ray players, & I want to build a good quality player and make a profit on it.

If I decide to release the player without 3D, I will lose out on customers who want to "future proof" their system.....say 50%. So I'll make half the number of players (as I've lost out on half the customers as it's not 3D). The cost of components will go up because I'm only ordering half the amount from my suppliers. So I'll be selling the player at a higher price, losing out on more customers.

If I want to sell more, I'll have to make it cheap to make the price attractive.....compromise on the quality & lose out?

But if I including 3D capability, I'll have more customers, so I'll make more players, & so the cost of components goes down, which in turn pays for the 3D functionality; the cost can further come down despite adding 3D capability.

If I decide to make a player with premium components for the best possible audio/video quality, I know that I'm going to sell less numbers because of the high price. Can I then afford to lose half my customers by not including 3D?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
You are exactly right BigBoss.....................just an irritation that a consumer can't get what he wants, even if there is a premium!

As an aside amd not wishing to star another bun fight but I note that the Sony stable are going to be able to reprocess 2D into 3D with their new range of BDP,,,,,,,,

Oh deep joy, something else I won't need

Well, you never know what you may need in the future. When I bought my first car, I wasn't bothered that the CD player in my car didn't play MP3 music, nor did it have an aux. MP3 players were just about to explode then. Today, I'm regretting it.

The most important thing that a blu-ray player requires to be 3D enabled is a faster processor. As with computers, the cost of these processors come down rapidly each year. So you're not really paying more for the 3D function. Also, the advantage of these faster processors, is obviously faster loading times.
emotion-1.gif

So don't fret, & enjoy!
emotion-21.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:
You are exactly right BigBoss.....................just an irritation that a consumer can't get what he wants, even if there is a premium!

As an aside amd not wishing to star another bun fight but I note that the Sony stable are going to be able to reprocess 2D into 3D with their new range of BDP,,,,,,,,

Oh deep joy, something else I won't need

Just because it can, doesn't mean you have to use it. So it makes no difference one way or the other. You probably don't use it for playing CDs but it can still do it, are you going to complain about that?

A

Anonymous

grifz:The point is with all the 3d hype , at present there nothing worth watching at home with your daft 3d goggles on . Even the mighty Avatar isn,t available. So at present 3D has the same use as the 8th Hdmi port on an av receiver.

I watched Avatar, Ice Age 3, Monsters V Aliens, Cloudy With Chance Of Meatballs over Xmas on Sky 3D.

And once you've watched the footie in 3D you wont want to go back to 2D.

Making a blu-ray player into 3D is trivial, and will be in every new blu-ray player in the near future. Practically any current blu-ray player could be made 3D via a firmware update. It is just companies choose not to add it to their low end players - so they can charge a premium for it while the going is good.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
grdunn123:
I think 3D is in it's infancy and is here to stay - like it or not. It will evolve as most things do and will be taken for granted within 5 years.

This doesn't mean that 2D will die out, far from it, it will be as popular as SD is now compared to HD.

3D has been around for donkey years,I remember watching 3D movies as a kid 30 or so years ago.

Still in its infancy? Its a useless format and has never taken off and never will.

TRENDING THREADS