Seems all new release BDPs will be 3D................why?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Is it me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or does it seem now that anything and everything will be 3D enabled, even in the limited world of 3D content??

New gen Oppo is 3D, new Cambridge will be 3D, the Japanese majors are all going 3D, why oh why...................where is the consideration for more money spent on 2D players?

Seems to me that there must be an expense in providing 3D circuitry that is pretty much wasted on Joe Public when we buy a BDP, the vast majority settling for, or owning 2D only.

Those of us who aspire for greater things in AV for PQ and SQ but in 2D are having no luck with the new round, strange as either there could be a saving for the 2D user or even better, sell for the same price but with improved components for 2D.....................there is a huge market for the 2D user, I'm not convinced that these needs are being considered in the light of the push as regards 3D technology

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Try buying a receiver (above/below niche price points) that isn't 3D, either. People have an innate tendency to buy future-proof products, even if they have no interest in the products right now.

Manufacturers i've spoken to say all research (and sales indicators) suggest they'd be crazy to release a product without 3D support or at least upgradeability. And with the chipsets becoming increasingly a standard fit, there won't be the huge markup there was for early adopters.

I remember similar conversations about HD Ready TVs that came out way before you could watch any HD TV (or discs)....

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
chudleighpaul:
Don't fret, the 3D bubble will burst.

Manufacturers are already saying the public are not taking to watching TV with glasses.

proof?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I think 3D is in it's infancy and is here to stay - like it or not. It will evolve as most things do and will be taken for granted within 5 years.

This doesn't mean that 2D will die out, far from it, it will be as popular as SD is now compared to HD.

A

Anonymous

3d is going to be an option, just like motion processing or internet capability etc.. what's the big deal? if you like it watch it, if not (like me) just ignore it.

Tonestar1

The reason they are all releasing 3D is that it's cheap to do and if Joe Public can buy something that's 3D ready or something that's not they will buy the one with the extra features just in case. Everyone wants to be futureproof although there is no such thing.

I'm not convinced by 3D myself.

However new films may change this. I wouldn't want to watch Charlie Chaplin with vocals, wouldn't want to watch Casablanca in colour in the same way I wouldn't want to watch Star Wars in 3D. In saying that I wouldn't want to watch Star Wars in B&W with no speech. Films are designed to be watched in the way the director intended you to watch them using the tech available at the time. I don't want anything remastered in 3D in the same way I don't want It's a wonderful life in colour.

A good example of this would be the new star wars with the playstation characters instead of the anamatronic characters we all loved. Lucas made a mess of that one.

We will just need to see what the studios come up with. We could get some new movies you wouldn't consider not watching in 3D. Time will tell.

A

Anonymous

Surely the 3D glasses thing will be just an intermediate fad before they push the "goggles-free 3D"? I hear they have just launched a Nintendo that does 3D without glasses

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:3d is going to be an option, just like motion processing or internet capability etc.. what's the big deal? if you like it watch it, if not (like me) just ignore it.

I don't mind it being an option, just don't want to pay for it when I don't want it.

Ms Newsome's point refers, a Sony 2D player for £100.00 (S370), and Sony 3D player £175, Cambridge replacement for 650BD so far seems to be £700 plus not the current £400, Oppo 93 is £500, when the elusive Oppo 83 was £400.00

There is s definite premium for a new release BDP based seemingly on 3D ability, which, as my point is, something I don't want nor pay for, just want a quality new release 2D player..................not going to happen is it???

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Not good, having a 1080p 3D version of the same movie on a blu-ray will only eat away at the current max of 50gb, no doubt resulting in lower bitrates of the 1080p 2D movie for longer films.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
pete321:
Not good, having a 1080p 3D version of the same movie on a blu-ray will only eat away at the current max of 50gb, no doubt resulting in lower bitrates of the 1080p 2D movie for longer films.

But as time goes by and the quality of download and streaming services improve, you may well see the end of the BD anyway

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Lee H:pete321:

But as time goes by and the quality of download and streaming services improve, you may well see the end of the BD anyway

Once they have fibered out the whole country to get the download capacity for HD streaming bandwidth

Don't get excited has to be 5 years away, in the meantime we'll all have HD tvs with streaming content no better than SD ............

A

Anonymous

fayeanddavid:

maxflinn:3d is going to be an option, just like motion processing or internet capability etc.. what's the big deal? if you like it watch it, if not (like me) just ignore it.

I don't mind it being an option, just don't want to pay for it when I don't want it.

Ms Newsome's point refers, a Sony 2D player for £100.00 (S370), and Sony 3D player £175, Cambridge replacement for 650BD so far seems to be £700 plus not the current £400, Oppo 93 is £500, when the elusive Oppo 83 was £400.00

There is s definite premium for a new release BDP based seemingly on 3D ability, which, as my point is, something I don't want nor pay for, just want a quality new release 2D player..................not going to happen is it???
fair point if you think the new players will be better, not one that would be relevant to me though, as i dont believe bdp's differ in terms of performance, at least with blu-rays, perhaps dvd upscaling does differ slightly, my s370 is certainly good enough for me..

the point about cramming both 2d and 3d data onto a blu-ray is interesting, if they started doing that it wouldn't be good. i doubt if they will though, i can't think of one 3d movie that i'd like to see in 2d anyway (ok i own avatar but that was a must buy just for the visuals
emotion-10.gif
)..

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:the point about cramming both 2d and 3d data onto a blu-ray is interesting, if they started doing that it wouldn't be good. i doubt if they will though, i can't think of one 3d movie that i'd like to see in 2d anyway (ok i own avatar but that was a must buy just for the visuals
emotion-10.gif
)..

I bet they do, some titles will have 2 discs, but it will increase production costs to provide every title released with 1 disc for 2D and another for 3D, unless you reckon they'll always be 2 seperate releases.

A

Anonymous

pete321:
maxflinn:the point about cramming both 2d and 3d data onto a blu-ray is interesting, if they started doing that it wouldn't be good. i doubt if they will though, i can't think of one 3d movie that i'd like to see in 2d anyway (ok i own avatar but that was a must buy just for the visuals
emotion-10.gif
)..

I bet they do, some titles will have 2 discs, but it will increase production costs to provide every title released with 1 disc for 2D and another for 3D, unless you reckon they'll always be 2 seperate releases.
don't know to be honest. but i have a feeling that 3d won't impact on the quality of 2d. hope i'm right...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:Seems to me that there must be an expense in providing 3D circuitry

Doesn't appear to make that much difference to the cost of 3D BDPs if the prices of them are anything to go by, so if it's an easy and cheap thing to do then there's no reason not to put it in is there?

Nobody's forcing you to watch in 3D and, if the reviews are anything to go by, having the 3D capability in the players isn't harming the 2D performance at all, so I don't really know why you're getting upset about it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:pete321:
emotion-10.gif
)..

don't know to be honest. but i have a feeling that 3d won't impact on the quality of 2d. hope i'm right...

I don't believe it works like that, there's no need to have two different copies of the film on the disc (or two discs), if the viewer wants to watch in 2D then only the left image (I think) is sent to the screen. Both images are full 1080p, so there should be no difference.

It's more likely that there will be two seperate releases of the film, one 2D, one 3D, with the 3D release costing extra, as in the cinema.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to think that 3D is also about copy protection , you can copy it but you can't replicate the 3D , this sort of explains why it's getting so much backing. Anything that counters piracy is going to get support.

A

Anonymous

v1c:I'm starting to think that 3D is also about copy protection , you can copy it but you can't replicate the 3D , this sort of explains why it's getting so much backing. Anything that counters piracy is going to get support.

That's exactly right, I read an article prior to commercial re-launch that this is the main driver for the studios is that you can not copy the 3D element and would save them a fortune in piracy.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:fayeanddavid:Seems to me that there must be an expense in providing 3D circuitry Doesn't appear to make that much difference to the cost of 3D BDPs if the prices of them are anything to go by, so if it's an easy and cheap thing to do then there's no reason not to put it in is there?Nobody's forcing you to watch in 3D and, if the reviews are anything to go by, having the 3D capability in the players isn't harming the 2D performance at all, so I don't really know why you're getting upset about it.

the_lhc

I do disagree with your statement, take a look at my comments in this thread re price difference between 2D and 3D

Not upset, just don't want 3D, and I am absolutely sure 2D players will disappear not for any other reason than the corporate technical push for 3D and the surely better yield in terms of returns (profit, but that's a dirty word these days)!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:

Ms Newsome's point refers, a Sony 2D player for £100.00 (S370), and Sony 3D player £175,

But also has far more other features.
Cambridge replacement for 650BD so far seems to be £700 plus not the current £400,

The 751 is NOT the replacement for the 650BD, it will sit above the 650's replacement, when that arrives.

Oppo 93 is £500, when the elusive Oppo 83 was £400.00

Elusive? It never officially existed as a UK product! Anyway, 100 quid isn't that much of an increase for a brand new product, the 93 will come down in price by the end of the year, just like everything else does (that 2D Sony you mention WASN'T £100 when it was released, for example).

There is s definite premium for a new release BDP based seemingly on 3D ability,

There's a premium because the 3D models are all part of the latest range. Give it a year or so and when nobody makes 2D players anymore you'll still get your £100 player.

which, as my point is, something I don't want nor pay for, just want a quality new release 2D player..................not going to happen is it???

Your point is irrelevant, you'll get exactly the same 2d performance from a 3D player and once 3D is old news, it won't cost you anything extra. If there is a premium for 3D right now, it's simply because 3D is so new and it won't last.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:I am absolutely sure 2D players will disappear not for any other reason than the corporate technical push for 3D and the surely better yield in terms of returns (profit, but that's a dirty word these days)!!

No, they'll disappear because when 3D players play 2D just as well as a 2D player (which they do already) it isn't worth NOT putting the ability in, in the same manner that nobody makes Blu-ray players that don't play DVDs!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc

So...............we'll agree to disagree on this then, your analogy with BluRay/DVD is not relevant as backward compatibility was always a requirement!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts