Second hand Naim nait 5i vs marantz pm6004

A

Anonymous

Is this forum playing up? i couldn't post correctly!

I currently own a home cinema system consisting of Onkyo 606, Monitor audio br2, br1, br centre and Bk xls200 sub for playing both movies and hifi.

I have been looking at building a dedicated hifi setup for a few months now and was looking at buying the Marantz pm6004 and cd 6004 Combo.

Now a guy at work is selling a 2004 Naim Nait 5i for £450, i'm guessing it's version 1 as when i look on ebay there are a few for sale as version 2. How would an old Naim compare to a brand new Marantz pm6004? and is the price reasonable?

I would also have to pair it with a naim CD5I as i don't like not having matching components.

A

Anonymous

I currently own a home cinema system consisting of Onkyo 606, Monitor audio br2, br1, br centre and Bk xls200 sub for playing both movies and hifi.

I have been looking at building a dedicated hifi setup for a few months now and was looking at buying the Marantz pm6004 and cd 6004 Combo.

Now a guy at work is selling a 2004 Naim Nait 5i for £450, i'm guessing it's version 1 as when i look on ebay there are a few for sale as version 2. How would an old Naim compare to a brand new Marantz pm6004? and is the price reasonable?

I would also have to pair it with a naim CD5I as i don't like not having matching components.

driftingphil said:

If you seriously want the Naim look at different speakers, likewise with Marantz. I heard the MKI Nait 5i with my RSs it was probably one of the worst combos I've heard. Also, Marantz isn't a good match with MAs.

For a good, relatively inexpensive monitor to match the Nait or Marantz I'd look at Epos M5i or (if budget allows) M12i. On the other hand, if you want to keep the speakers then Arcam and Creek are the best matches I've heard with MAs.

A

Anonymous

Auditioned recently - the 5i is a small amp with big heart! :cheers:

Detailed and correct in all freq's. :boohoo: Listened to other Naims too - very musical and detailed! :dance:

Didn't like the lack of features however. :exmark:

The power in the specification seemed overstated to me, but I tested with low sensitivity speakers! :?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
They do also have phono RCA connections as well. True though, Naim are not quite as flexible as other brands, in input terms.

Yes, I only managed to run a turntable, FM tuner, CD player and DAC/headphone amp (connecting computer and Blu-ray player) from mine.

A

Anonymous

Here is the for sale post on my work email. what do you think about the price? i'm only comparing it to a marantz pm6004 as i was going to audition one soon, it's an extra £100 and it's a few years old too!

I have for sale my Naim Nait 5i integrated amp and Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII speakers. Photos of both available.

Naim Nait 5i Amp:

50W/ch into 8 ohm. This unit was made in March 2004. I am the 2nd owner, and have owned it since October 2005. Spotless condition. Will throw in some Naim speaker cable too. £450 ono

A

Anonymous

Here is the for sale post on my work email. what do you think about the price? i'm only comparing it to a marantz pm6004 as i was going to audition one soon, it's an extra £100 and it's a few years old too!

I have for sale my Naim Nait 5i integrated amp and Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII speakers. Photos of both available.

Naim Nait 5i Amp:

50W/ch into 8 ohm. This unit was made in March 2004. I am the 2nd owner, and have owned it since October 2005. Spotless condition. Will throw in some Naim speaker cable too. £450 ono

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
They do also have phono RCA connections as well. True though, Naim are not quite as flexible as other brands, in input terms.

Yes, I only managed to run a turntable, FM tuner, CD player and DAC/headphone amp (connecting computer and Blu-ray player) from mine.

How did you manage that lot? From memory the Nait 5i (MKI version) only has 'Aux', 'Tuner', 'CD', 'Tape', 'AV' inputs and no phono stage for a TT.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

How did you manage that lot? From memory the Nait 5i (MKI version) only has 'Aux', 'Tuner', 'CD', 'Tape', 'AV' inputs and no phono stage for a TT.

By using a Rega Fono Mini phono pre.

Yes there were enough inputs. I owned one for two years.

There was no difference between the old 5i and my 5i 'italic' WRT inputs. (Apart from revised labelling of the tape in/out connections on later 5i models.)

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
The Naim will knock spots off the Marantz in terms of musical satisfaction. If you have the money grab the Dynaudios too, they are a classic speaker that work superbly with Naim.

One point to note, Naim recommend a service every 10 years or so, you may have to factor that expense in a few years time, but once done you have an 'as new' bit of kit again.

jockey.wilson said:
The Naim will knock spots off the Marantz in terms of musical satisfaction. If you have the money grab the Dynaudios too, they are a classic speaker that work superbly with Naim.

One point to note, Naim recommend a service every 10 years or so, you may have to factor that expense in a few years time, but once done you have an 'as new' bit of kit again.

Naim can sound very impressive: After hearing the XS with Contour S1.4 speakers a few months back, have to admit, they did have the wow factor. The boot firmly on the other foot, I've heard Nait 5i with MAs and it sounded dreadful. There are better combos. This is where the OP needs to really listen and decide whether A) Is it a realistic match and B) the Naim sound is pretty much a Marmite brand. Some love the presentation, others don't.

A

Anonymous

Naim and MA IMO had never been a good match. They goes well with Spendor, Harbeth, Epos and Dynaudio from my experiences. In regards to 6004 vs 5i, i will go for the 5i anytime the 50w is really underrated as i used to drive it with my Spendor floorstander with no issue.

Naim is defernitely not a brand for everyone so do a careful audit before deciding.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
"Naim and MA IMO had never been a good match. They goes well with Spendor, Harbeth, Epos and Dynaudio

from my experiences. " Why, can you explain? thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts