Second hand amp recommendation for PMC twenty 23

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The Abrahamsen is a good suggestion at £750.

For about £350 you could go for a Japanese battleship amp, such as a Sony TAF-770ES.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You may get a better sound buying a decent power amp and adding a passive preamp such as a Tisubury or NVA (both quite cheap on ebay). Then later if you upgrade you will only have to buy another power amp.

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm in London, so Cheltenham and Edinburgh a bit of a trek, but I am tempted by the Abrahamsen. I'd just prefer to listen to it first. In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on Ebay for all the other suggestions made here.

Thanks again for all the tips..

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how come Abrahamsen is so much cheaper than Electrocompaniet? I read that Abrahamsen was set up by one of the founders of Electrocompaniet when it went bust. But Electrocompaniet is back in business now?

Lupa73 said:
Just out of curiosity, how come Abrahamsen is so much cheaper than Electrocompaniet? I read that Abrahamsen was set up by one of the founders of Electrocompaniet when it went bust. But Electrocompaniet is back in business now?

You are correct Electrocompaniet are back under new management.

Perhaps the Abrahamsen is cheaper because the components used are cheaper or more likely the overheads of a smaller company are less. However, cynics might tell you it is because a lot of firms charge what they think they can away with.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nad 326bee is pretty good for the money and some bargain sec. hand.Won´t loose much if you sell again.It has clipping protection and it sounds good even with high price speakers you won´t consider to match with it usually.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Lupa73 said:

Perhaps the Abrahamsen is cheaper because the components used are cheaper or more likely the overheads of a smaller company are less. However, cynics might tell you it is because a lot of firms charge what they think they can away with.

The components are of equal quality and the design similar but Per Abrahamsen does it as much for love as making money which is one of the things that got Electrocompaniet into trouble in 2004 imo .

Per Abrahamsen is a very gifted amp designer and builder but perhaps not the best business man which is very good for us but not so good for him , how he can make any money beats me , the V20 UP integrated amp could be sold for double the price and still be a bargain .

Electrocompaniet since the takeover in 2004 by Westcontrol Norway has become a worldwide force with new products based on the original designs of Per Abrahamsen and his team plus many other completely new products using new technologies and manufacturing processes that only a wealthy company can afford to use .

The dowside of this is that the price of Electrocompaniet products has increased considerably but they are still very competitive compared with similar products from rival companies .

All this is in my opinion and I stand to be corrected if I have said anything that is untrue *smile* .

This link may give you some insight into the early days of Electrocompaniet and Per Abrahamsen .

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/electrocompaniet-%27electro%27--vintage/10017

SteveR750

Electro said:
Al ears said:
Lupa73 said:

The components are of equal quality and the design similar but Per Abrahamsen does it as much for love as making money which is one of the things that got Electrocompaniet into trouble in 2004 imo .

Per Abrahamsen is a very gifted amp designer and builder but perhaps not the best business man which is very good for us but not so good for him , how he can make any money beats me , the V20 UP integrated amp could be sold for double the price and still be a bargain .

Electrocompaniet since the takeover in 2004 by Westcontrol Norway has become a worldwide force with new products based on the original designs of Per Abrahamsen and his team plus many other completely new products using new technologies and manufacturing processes that only a wealthy company can afford to use .

The dowside of this is that the price of Electrocompaniet products has increased considerably but they are still very competitive compared with similar products from rival companies .

All this is in my opinion and I stand to be corrected if I have said anything that is untrue *smile* .

This link may give you some insight into the early days of Electrocompaniet and Per Abrahamsen .

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/electrocompaniet-%27electro%27--vintage/10017

Until he goes bust again, and you cannot get your amp repaired.

If it's anything like the full phat electros, then they are going to be pretty special for the price. I'd also agree with the k2 suggestion, personally I think the Naim and Cyrus options are just too underpowered.

If the Norwegian vibe is to your liking, there is the Hegel H80 that's well reviewed, but possibly not quite the same VFM as the Abrahamsen

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Electro said:
Al ears said:
Lupa73 said:

Until he goes bust again, and you cannot get your amp repaired.

If it's anything like the full phat electros, then they are going to be pretty special for the price. I'd also agree with the k2 suggestion, personally I think the Naim and Cyrus options are just too underpowered.

If the Norwegian vibe is to your liking, there is the Hegel H80 that's well reviewed, but possibly not quite the same VFM as the Abrahamsen

In the unlikely event of a total company failure I am sure the Abrahamsen family would make circuit diagrams available to any owners that ask so that they could be repaired by a local repairer *smile* .

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Serife I sent you a message on eBay. I suspect the little board that drives the output has come lose in transit. I'll post a pick of where to look. Unfortunately the box and internal foam is not upto international travel. Check black connectors at bottom of red circle.

TiL5BSsl.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Lupa has not solved her problem despite my help over the weekend. I have offered to repair or replace her Amp even though she did'nt buy it from iQ! We today have also been appointed sole UK supplier of Abrahamsen Audio products in the UK and will offer full UK warranty.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
strms said:
Thats great news for those that have been undecided because of lack of UK warranty.
Rest assured I'll try my level best to sort out any issues as quickly as possible. Abrahamsen will supply parts as required in the unlikley event of a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts