Second hand amp recommendation for PMC twenty 23

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a pair of ex-demo PMC twenty 23s, which are proving - unsurprisingly - too much for my Marantz 6004. Varies with type of music/quality of recording, but sound is quite woolly, especially the bass.

Am looking for advice on buying a second hand amp off ebay to tide me over until I can afford to buy something better.

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lupa73 said:
Thanks, though judging by the retail price, even second hand, sadly this is likely to be beyond my budget..

Yup, I've guessed that much hence the ridiculous suggestion.

Helps if you mention how much you want to spend ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Boggit has two (2) for sale ... :)

Having just received a tax refund (I usually owe) I am almost tempted but it is fugly (the tacky gold) and I am happy with my current systems. Still, a lot of amp for the money.

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. The Abrahamsen looks good, and am wondering how it compares to the Musical Fidelity M3si? There's a new M3si on Ebay for £800. I guess I am hoping to get away with spending around £500 or less - sorry for not specifying. This is my first excursion into the worl of Hi Fi forums...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lupa73 said:
Thanks. The Abrahamsen looks good, and am wondering how it compares to the Musical Fidelity M3si? There's a new M3si on Ebay for £800. I guess I am hoping to get away with spending around £500 or less - sorry for not specifying. This is my first excursion into the worl of Hi Fi forums...

No probs.

I would try and source a Naim 5 with a prefix you can afford or a cyrus 8 series amplifier. The latter has some niceties such as upgradeability, input sensitivity adjustment and a good headphone stage.

Vladimirs suggestion of a Roksan seems good too. A lot of power (I personally didn't like the K2 but many do). Then there is the afromentioned Abrahamsen.

They don't sound the same.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Drumerman I'm deeply hurt, tacky! well they do look better in the flesh and beauty as we said before is in the eye of......

In the spirit of the WHF i would let them go to honoured members for cost, as I'm not allowed to talk about them now.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lupa73 said:

I suspect it's better and I know Boggit much preferred the UP version to either a Sugden A21SE or an Audio Analogue Maestro Settana, both of which are around £2500.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
[drummerman/quote]

Vladimirs suggestion of a Roksan seems good too. A lot of power (I personally didn't like the K2 but many do).

Sorry who's recommendation?! ;-)

Sounds like the OP's price bracket is suddenly moving upwards. If it's going to be a temporary measure surely £399.99 for a K2 is a good bet. This ridiculous price has now stopped me from selling mine for mere peanuts and put paid to my own amplifer upgrade.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
[drummerman/quote]

Vladimirs suggestion of a Roksan seems good too. A lot of power (I personally didn't like the K2 but many do).

Sorry who's recommendation?! ;-)

Ah, apologies.

I am so used to Vladimir being the company rep :)

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I went from a MF3i to an Abrahamsen V2.0 UP and the Abrahamsen is a much better sounding amp to my ears. A much fuller sound with a better bottom end than the MF3.

I can thoroughly reccomend the Abrahamsen, I'm sure if you went for it you would not be disappointed.

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to you all for the suggestions. My plan was to buy something as a stop gap, but I may reconsider. One last question, what about Arcam? There's are a couple of FMJ A32s and an A28 on Ebay that look like they might go quite cheap. I had been planning to listen to the FMJ A39 on the basis of a recommendation from Sevenoaks, along with the MF M3si, the Caspian and Naim..

Will go browsing on Ebay for some Naim 5s/Cyrus 8s. Am feeling unsure about the Roksan K2, though it is very cheap and my new Brahms CD does sound terrible on the Marantz, so I may have to secure a replacement quick!

Thanks again

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lupa73 said:
Thanks to you all for the suggestions. My plan was to buy something as a stop gap, but I may reconsider. One last question, what about Arcam? There's are a couple of FMJ A32s and an A28 on Ebay that look like they might go quite cheap. I had been planning to listen to the FMJ A39 on the basis of a recommendation from Sevenoaks, along with the MF M3si, the Caspian and Naim..

Will go browsing on Ebay for some Naim 5s/Cyrus 8s. Am feeling unsure about the Roksan K2, though it is very cheap and my new Brahms CD does sound terrible on the Marantz, so I may have to secure a replacement quick!

Thanks again

I think the current crop of Arcam amps are a big improvement....less "pipe and slippers" sounding. IMO. This is down to the Class G configuration (A39/A49)....Also, I think you should listen to as many alternatives as possible.

FWIW. Both Naim and Cyrus divide opinion, so shouldn't be bought blind (imo).

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Trouble is, if I start auditioning I know I'm going to end up spending £1500-£2000 which I can't afford to do right now, and I don't know where I'd be able to hear older Cyrus/Naim amps - or even the Abrahamsen. It's probably a very bad approach, but I was hoping to spend a few hundred and get something quickly as an interim measure.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. Both Naim and Cyrus divide opinion, so shouldn't be bought blind (imo).

Sure, in an ideal world (or if you buy from a dealer) I'd agree.

A bit difficult if buying second hand.

Yes, they all sound slightly different including the Roksan. Looks/aesthetics come into it too I guess.

However, I think you can't go far wrong with any of these products and all will be an upgrade on the Marantz. All are usually reliable and you shouldn't loose much money if you decide to further upgrade/change in the future if buying wisely/at the right price.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Burnsie said:
I don't know where you live but if you are anywhere near Edinburgh you can come and have a listen to the Abrahamsen.
Or Cheltenham, what Burnsie and I know is just how amazing our amps sound and how little we paid for them! Its a very nice feeling.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lupa73 said:
Trouble is, if I start auditioning I know I'm going to end up spending £1500-£2000 which I can't afford to do right now, and I don't know where I'd be able to hear older Cyrus/Naim amps - or even the Abrahamsen. It's probably a very bad approach, but I was hoping to spend a few hundred and get something quickly as an interim measure.

If the Abrahamsens sound like the older Electros (and they should), but at less than half the money, it's where my hard earned cash would go....especially as there are now two people on here are saying much the same thing. It may even save you paying £2k in the future.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what my dealer said to me when I took that lump of an amp on the bus to demo some streamers, it sounds the same as the older Electrocompaniets. I know I am beating the drum for them but it is a cracking amp for the price.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
PMC twenty series have a good match with Bryston amps.... Try to look for Bryston B135 Integrated amp.

Alternatively... Musical Fidelity M6i... I have reviewed it with 21, 23 and 26... And it was nice...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If you read forums on here your wasting your bucks on a good amp as they all sound the same.
Id keep your amp and get good quality cables instead.

Serious id go for the roksan k2. As its going very cheap and its powerful and as good as any 1000 pound amp out now. I am very happy with my k2 int and k2 power amp.

TRENDING THREADS