Sealed box vs ported speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to start this by saying that I feel a speaker upgrade coming on. Don't try to cure me of this, it's too late!

I find myself interested in the EB Acoustics speakers but could someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of sealed boxes vs ported speakers?

Many thanks

Reactions: STUARC73

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
With closed design you wnt get the really low stuff but you will lose the chuffing sound sometimes experienced with ported cabinets at high volumes. Ive heard the Spendor SA1 closed designs and thought they were amazing and that was without close wall enforcement.

Expensive though, your paying a lot for those pretty cabinets. I suspect those EBs would be very nice.

its all for music:

I want to start this by saying that I feel a speaker upgrade coming on. Don't try to cure me of this, it's too late!

I find myself interested in the EB Acoustics speakers but could someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of sealed boxes vs ported speakers?

Many thanks

Yup, the closed cabinet design there is a noticable lack of the very deepest bass. Also they're generally less fussy about positioning, which makes them ideal for small rooms, and are harder to drive.

On the other hand, ported speakers usually sound better at low volumes, bigger bass extension and can be used in a small room if the ports are at the front. In a nutshell, that's the basic differences.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm currently using Rega RS1 speakers and while they sound very musical to my ears, I find they are lacking in the bass department even though what little bass they do produce sounds clean and tuneful. Would either of the EB Acoustic speakers address this lack of bass? I do most of my listening at reasonably low volume so perhaps the EB1's might be the way to go.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Rega once made a sub to go with those speakers , a small 8" down firer called the vulcan. Similar to the MJ pro 50 but with a magnesium driver enclosure made by BK to regas spec. One went on e bay for £260 last week.

A

Anonymous

Have you got room for the Rega RS3s? They're very small but fantastic!

A

Anonymous

I've never actually listened to the RS3's but I've read loads of positive comments about them. I wouldn't be able to get floorstanders past my better half so stand mount speakers it has to be.

A

Anonymous

I have tried different positions for the speaker but I think the bottom line is I need a speaker with a weightier sound without loosing the openness. From what I have read, it seems that the EB Acoustics might be just the ticket. Has anyone had a chance to listen to Rega RS1's and the EB1's and/or 2's?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
its all for music:I have tried different positions for the speaker but I think the bottom line is I need a speaker with a weightier sound without loosing the openness. From what I have read, it seems that the EB Acoustics might be just the ticket. Has anyone had a chance to listen to Rega RS1's and the EB1's and/or 2's?

As most can tell you (and you undoubtedly know) the amplifier>speaker interface is the crucial one, leaving the room aside for a moment. So it would be more relevant for you to ask whether someone used these two EB designs with your amplifier. Even then, the room is equally responsible for how your chosen system will sound.

Iggleberts suggestion of Regas 3 does make sense if you like everything about your 1's and just want more bass, as does adding a sub. Both would be not much more space consuming than a standmount, especially the former, which has a small footprint and height. I don't quite understand how your 'other half' could object to that, especially when comparing to a large standmount, such as EB2?

As EB have a return policy, as you undoubtedly know as well as you've done some research on the subject, there's no risk. So where's the problem trying exactly? You seem to be pretty much settled on the idea and there's only one sure way to find out eh?

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your reply Drummerman. Can I firstly answer your question about my other half. I don't fully understand her concerns about floor standing speakers. The words 'big' and 'ugly' seem to crop up when I have broached the subject with her. It seems that WAF plays a big part in my house. I wouldn't have it any other way so the RS3 are out. I have yet to discuss the size of the EB2's!

You're right, I should have asked if anyone has had experience with either of the EB's and my amplifier. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.

I have already tried Wharfedale Diamond 75's, Usher S-520's, Dynaudio X12's, Monitor Audio RS1's and I have a pair of the MA RX1's on home demo next week. If they don't suit, I might have to take the plunge and order a pair of EB1's or possibly 2's.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The RS3s are prettier than most bookshelf speakers on ugly stands.

If she were to actually stand in front of a pair and look at them the words 'big' and 'ugly' would fade away i'm sure. They are quite compact and well finished and smart.

Oh yes.. the feet on the RS3s have now changed and look a bit 'funkier' (a bit like little Dan Dare style rocket pods)....

RS3-NEW.gif

Get a tape measure and look at how short and slender 80cm x 22.4cm* is in reality. Then show her a picture of some Partington Dreadnought stands to compare!

*The cabinets are actually slimmer. The 22.4cm includes the litte 'pods'/feet.

A

Anonymous

My fiance wouldn't let me have floorstanders instead of standmounters because "you can see through stands so they don't look as big" but with floorstanders you have a solid face that "blocks the light". Fair enough, I just ended up with higher class standmounters than if I'd bought bigger.

Now, if kids are ever on the cards at any point, you might like to throw in the stability arguement. Right now I think I could justify floorstanders easily
emotion-2.gif

Back to the point in hand, forget the MAs, they won't have the control or accuracy of the Regas. The EB1s sound like a very good idea. The EB2s even better if you can accommodate them!

Tonestar1

its all for music:
Thank you for your reply Drummerman. Can I firstly answer your question about my other half. I don't fully understand her concerns about floor standing speakers. The words 'big' and 'ugly' seem to crop up when I have broached the subject with her. It seems that WAF plays a big part in my house. I wouldn't have it any other way so the RS3 are out. I have yet to discuss the size of the EB2's!

You're right, I should have asked if anyone has had experience with either of the EB's and my amplifier. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.

I have already tried Wharfedale Diamond 75's, Usher S-520's, Dynaudio X12's, Monitor Audio RS1's and I have a pair of the MA RX1's on home demo next week. If they don't suit, I might have to take the plunge and order a pair of EB1's or possibly 2's.

Neat Motives?

"At only 76cm high, the Motive 2 is an exceptionally compact floorstander for those who want all the musical performance of a Neat floorstander without taking over the living room."

Can never get this pasting pics thing to work

so take a look

http://www.neat.co.uk/p_pages/images/Motivetwo_001.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for replying to my question.

Ok, I've gone and ordered the EB1's in Oak finish. After reading all the positive comments about them, my finger has been hovering over the 'Buy Now' button for weeks. Now begins the wait! I will put up a post of my thoughts when they arrive and hopefully they will score high on the WAF as well as music making ability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts