Screen Burn on Plasma ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI, I'm waiting for my new Panasonic 42pz70 to be delivered and was wondering if anyone has some tips on preventing Screen Burn / Retention as I'll be plaing a lot of ps3. Or is screen burn and retention not as much of a problem as it used to be ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The main problem is that if you search for screen burn you get 657 pages back most of which offer little to no advice over the usual keep the brightness and contrast down for the first XX hours (replace XX with a seemingly random number).

I'd like to know of anti screen burn facilities on the pioneers (428XD especially) but there seems to be no definitive answer on here and I cant find anything on the pioneer website either. No one seems to able to say if screen burn is even a problem anymore on these modern plasmas.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you get 121 items returned. And if you search on 'screen burn Pioneer' you only get 20, several of which offer some pretty direct advice on how to avoid any chance of the problem.

FWIW yes the new plasmas are much better than the old sets in this respect, though I did notice some screen burn on one of the old - at least two generations old - Pioneer plasmas we have in our reception area here at the office.

But then it has been running Sky News 24/7 since we moved in here, just over two years ago, so retaining a ghost of the logo on the ticker is hardly surprising after something like 60,000 hours. That probably equates to about 20-30 years of normal domestic use.

A

Anonymous

Weird, the exact same search is now returning 12 pages and not 657 as it did just before. I just checked.... If you type a search and press enter fast enough it cuts off the end of the search term. At least in firefox anyway. Looking at my history, my search for "screen burn" actually came back as a search for "s", I just didnt notice at the time.

I've just had a skim through the 20 items for the pioneer search. They do offer the usual advice but I dont think they mention any pioneer tech. Its just its a lot of money and I'd like the knowledge that if, for example, I fall asleep for longer than one poster did for 30mins that I'm not going to wake up to a nightmare
emotion-7.gif
So far from what I have read your last post has given me most confidence to buy a plasma.

A

Anonymous

OK Andrew, understood. I'd feel better with something to show pioneer had done a lot of work to avoid screen burn but from what you are saying its pretty much not going to happen under home viewing conditions. I'll almost certainly go with the pioneer when i find a good deal.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Chris you might want to wait on with the Pioneer.

I have a problem and I'm giving Pioneer a chance to resolve it, my dealer Moorgate Acoustics is approaching them on my behalf at the moment after what I consider an unsatisfactory direct approach from myself.

If Pioneer fail to resolve it I'll be making it public complete with detailed photographs (I'm a published semi pro photographer in my spare time) on all internet tv / HD forums - I'm a member of a surprising number, and pulling no punches in the process.

So far as I'm concerned people have a right to know what to expect from manufacturers customer services when they have a problem, especially with such an expensive product.

I wonder how many people would have the same view of what is acceptable as their customer service department after paying nearly £1,700 for their product.

Watch this space.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Alsone"]Watch this space.[/quote]

I'm watching. Good job the cost/technology prevented computer monitors being plasma!! I see Waterloo station have ditched their displays - got those big dotty things that you can read. No good for tv unless you like big orange dots.

No probs so far with my 428xd. I just use Standard and occasionally Movie for when I watch um.... movies. I used my SpyderTV Pro as a try-out before I let myself loose on other peoples' screens, so my settings tend to be less 'in your face' than the factory ones (Didn't know my Pioneer was assembled here in the UK until after I bought it - amazed I was).

If Pioneer turn all nice, will you still let us in on the dirt?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I can't count the number of times I've fallen asleep on my sofa and woken up the next morning with either a DVD menu or a PS3 / Xbox game sat there on the screen (seems to be a combination of weekend / come back from the pub / comfortable sofas!). No sign of screenburn at all for me - my Panny does have a screensaver mode which works for DVD menus but not game consoles being left on. So....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ChrisK"]

OK Andrew, understood. I'd feel better with something to show pioneer had done a lot of work to avoid screen burn but from what you are saying its pretty much not going to happen under home viewing conditions. I'll almost certainly go with the pioneer when i find a good deal.

[/quote]

Pioneer has an 'Orbiter' function to helps prevent screen burn by shifting pixels. I'm not techie so don't ask! Have the Pioneer and it's a fantastic set. Never had a retention or burn though I was extremely paranoid about screen logo's and black bars for the first 200 hours.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Maccca"]Pioneer has an 'Orbiter' function to helps prevent screen burn by shifting pixels[/quote]

It kind of works by shifting the whole picture to the side, waiting a while, shifting it up, waiting a while, shifting it the other way, waiting a while, then shifting it down to where it was in the first place.

Sounds alarming, but since it only moves one pixel at a time, you don't even see it happening, and it reduces the chance of significant blocks of pixels being continuously illuminated, which is what can cause screen burn on some sets.

Other manufacturers use similar strategies - my old Fujitsu does it, too, and also has a whitescreen facility to light up the whole screen for a period of time, which is another way of erasing any image retention.

A

Anonymous

I have the Panasonic well for now TX - P42GT20B which i can gather came out in 2010. Also i know that this is a bit of a prone tv for screen burn reading on various other post on here. I think you got to be so careful now choosing a tv in todays times as there still no guarantee. I answered a phone call which lasted 4 hours they rang me returned to my screen which was on pause on Borderlands and yes got screen burn or IR. Can any one tell me if the new leds suffer with this as nearly every retailer reccomends leds over plasmas? it seems ok on here better then av forums people more helpful and generally concerned!

So was it image retention or screen burn? There is a difference between the two. IR is temporary, while screen burn is permanent.

Manufacturers warn about not pausing for more than 30 minutes. More important than being careful about choosing TV, is looking after the TV & following the manufacturer's recommendations, be it plasma or LCD or LED lit LCD.

Check this:

http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Break-in,_burn-in,_and_image_retention#Image_Retention_.28IR.29

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts