mgmasterv2

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
hi guys,

i just bought a pair of kef q750 speakers(they were used as listening demo in a shop) they sound really great.
i was looking at them very closely and saw a hole on one of the woofer cones the sound is intact and very pleasing so its not have any effect on sound quality but i fear in long run this hole /scratch thing break the woofer. should i return them to seller? or it is fine and will not cause any problem for me?
thanks
IMG_20220303_000254.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_000254.jpg
    IMG_20220303_000254.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4

mgmasterv2

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
here are some more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_085311.jpg
    IMG_20220303_085311.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220303_085254.jpg
    IMG_20220303_085254.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220303_085248.jpg
    IMG_20220303_085248.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220303_000254.jpg
    IMG_20220303_000254.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
If you paid full price then I would return them. If however you bought them at a discount I would live with it. From the photos the woofer doesn't' appear to be punctured so should still work effectively. Perhaps you need to invest in some grilles to mask the imperfection? Its a shame the Q floor standers don't come with grilles as standard - they might have protected the woofer from the damage that was done...

Reactions: mgmasterv2

mgmasterv2

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
If you paid full price then I would return them. If however you bought them at a discount I would live with it. From the photos the woofer doesn't' appear to be punctured so should still work effectively. Perhaps you need to invest in some grilles to mask the imperfection? Its a shame the Q floor standers don't come with grilles as standard - they might have protected the woofer from the damage that was done...
thanks, its not visible at all, only if you sit right in front of woofer you will be able to see it.
my only concern is possibility of its getting worst and puncture the woofer , is that possible?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
thanks, its not visible at all, only if you sit right in front of woofer you will be able to see it.
my only concern is possibility of its getting worst and puncture the woofer , is that possible?

It is now a structural weak "point" so yes if driven hard for extended periods it could present a problem.
and will shorten the life of the cone considerably if you do listen to loud volumes.

These things are like icebergs as well.

What you see is not necessarily the only damage present. If this damage was inflicted when the speaker was in operation the pistonic behaviour of the cone could be comprised ie not going straight up and down (in and out) or if the cone was held in place the diaphragm could be damaged and along with the voice coil.

In all honesty, id get to the shop to change out the cone. it won't cost them a penny as they would send it back soiled goods/faulty item.

these maybe a B stock item but they should still work as intended. It's not like this a scratch

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
hi guys,

i just bought a pair of kef q750 speakers(they were used as listening demo in a shop) they sound really great.
i was looking at them very closely and saw a hole on one of the woofer cones the sound is intact and very pleasing so its not have any effect on sound quality but i fear in long run this hole /scratch thing break the woofer. should i return them to seller? or it is fine and will not cause any problem for me?
thanks
View attachment 3313
Looks as though it is an ABR which is not driven as opposed to the main woofer. I doubt you would hear any noticeable sound degradation

Reactions: Al ears

Dom

If your happy with the sound, then just try to get used to it. If you can't stand the sight of a small dent then get a professional to replace the woofer. Or go back to the shop where you bought them and ask for new speakers.

I don't think it will effect sound quality.

If your happy with the sound, then just try to get used to it. If you can't stand the sight of a small dent then get a professional to replace the woofer. Or go back to the shop where you bought them and ask for new speakers.

I don't think it will effect sound quality.
it's not a woofer apparently.....
It has two ABR 's but not sure which they are exactly, looks to be the bottom two units
If course if the sight of it offends the OP could purchase the optional grilles.... :)

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
If he gets no joy from the shop, what about removing the ABR and trying to flatten out the dent from the inside ? , it will soon be apparent if a repair is possible once the ABR is removed.
Just a thought...

mgmasterv2

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Thanks guys , you guys really helped me decide . I'm not gonna listen to them in loud volumes but @12th Monkey is right no one gonna buy them from me like this .
I spoke to the seller he gave me an offer I think its worth considering. What do you guys think about 900usd for both of them? Is it a good price? ( considering the condition )

TRENDING THREADS