Schiit Magni 3 channel unbalance

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I have been trying the HD600 for the last month. I'm really surprised by the sound of these cans. When I was buying this headphone, I read a lot about getting a dedicated AMP. So I bought Schiit Magni 3 and paired it with a Hiby FC1. I have noticed that the left channel is louder than the right channel when using the Magni, but when I only use the Hiby FC1 it sounds balanced. I don't have warranty or a return option, what can I do to fix this?
P.D I use Qobuz desktop app if that matters.
Thanks in advance

Gray

If you haven't already done it, try switching the Magni to low gain so that its volume control needs to be further up for normal listening (preferably at least its 10 o'clock position).
See if that cures the imbalance.

Last edited:

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
If you haven't already done it, try switching the Magni to low gain so that its volume control needs to be further up for normal listening (preferably at least its 10 o'clock position).
See if that cures the imbalance.
The problem is that even in low gain mode, It's too loud for my ears. I thinI could decrease the software volume in Qobuz and increase on the magni. I don't want to make it worse.

Gray

The problem is that even in low gain mode, It's too loud for my ears. I thinI could decrease the software volume in Qobuz and increase on the magni. I don't want to make it worse.
Yes, that's the problem. You need to reduce the signal level going into the Magni.
Once you can comfortably use the Magni volume control at (or past) the 10 o'clock position, your channel imbalance will (almost certainly) be cured.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello

The issue here is not likely to be the Magni 3+ AMP, but what you are trying to do.

The Hiby FC1 is a portable headphone DAC/AMP:

It is already decoding and amplifing the signal from your source device. It is not a descrete DAC.

If you want to get the best out of the Magni 3, you should be pairing it with a descrete DAC. You will be doing a dis-service to the Magni connecting up like you will be via a 3.5mm Jack to RCA. It's only going to amplify what ever sound is already being 'amplified' already by the Hiby and is not designed to be used in this way.

Gray

Hello

The issue here is not likely to be the Magni 3+ AMP, but what you are trying to do.

The Hiby FC1 is a portable headphone DAC/AMP:

It is already decoding and amplifing the signal from your source device. It is not a descrete DAC.

If you want to get the best out of the Magni 3, you should be pairing it with a descrete DAC. You will be doing a dis-service to the Magni connecting up like you will be via a 3.5mm Jack to RCA. It's only going to amplify what ever sound is already being 'amplified' already by the Hiby and is not designed to be used in this way.
Of course he's not using the optimum source Jimmy, I agree with that.
But you must agree that if he reduces the input level to the Magni then, out of the tracking error danger zone, his imbalance will not be an issue - and imbalance is after all the issue he has complained of.
We'll see. Easy enough for him to try it.

Edit: There's a chance he could turn the Hiby down into its own danger zone :) - so yes, totally agree he should be using a fixed level DAC into the Magni. (Although, if his Magni has a really dodgy pot, then even that wouldn't help the imbalance).

Last edited:

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
But you must agree that if he reduces the input level to the Magni then, out of the tracking error danger zone, his imbalance will not be an issue - and imbalance is after all the issue he has complained of.

Edit: Of course, there's a chance he could turn the Hiby down into its own danger zone - so yes, totally agree he should be using a fixed level DAC into the Magni. (Although, if his Magni has a really dodgy pot, then even that wouldn't help the imbalance).

True, but equally it could be a cable or connection issue from the adapter cable being used, or an inbalance in the Hiby that's just being exacerbated as soon as the Magni is put on the end. To rule it out, testing would be looking like:

1. Try a different adapter cable or test the same cable into a different device if possible
2. Check for any inbalance in Software/Windows (if applicable)
3. Test with a descrete DAC in front of it (see if a friend has one or if can test at maybe a HiFi store?)

If the Pot is truly dodgy, then it would then need an RMA at that point.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, in the future I will upgrade to a desktop dac. I don't live in the US or Europe so getting is audio gear is not that easy. I was thinking the Schiit modi, but I don't want more troubles in my setup.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site

Edit: There's a chance he could turn the Hiby down into its own danger zone :) - so yes, totally agree he should be using a fixed level DAC into the Magni. (Although, if his Magni has a really dodgy pot, then even that wouldn't help the imbalance).
Hello, about the reducing the input level. What's the best option, reducing the Qobuz software volume or the Hiby FC1 volume?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts