Scaling Features

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all.

In this months edition there a quick feature about letting you tv/blu ray handle the upscale features and then deciding which is best.

I have a Sony BD760 and at the moment I have it set at automatic so am I now by passing the players upscaler and using the TV and should I set it to 1080p to enable the Blu Ray to handle scaling, not really sure on this this one so I thought I would pose this question for some know how, many thanks in advance.

By the way being from Ireland and in the festive spirit etc., I bid yee all an early Happy St. Patricks Day..... :cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's really a question of trying different options and seeing which (if any) produces visibly better results.

So let you player upscale to 1080p, then turn that feature off and let your receiver do it, if it can. Next, try letting your TV do the scaling. If one appears visibly better to your eyes then that's the way to go.

In short, experiment and see what you prefer; or you may find little to no difference between the three...

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
It's really a question of trying different options and seeing which (if any) produces visibly better results.

So let you player upscale to 1080p, then turn that feature off and let your receiver do it, if it can. Next, try letting your TV do the scaling. If one appears visibly better to your eyes then that's the way to go.

In short, experiment and see what you prefer; or you may find little to no difference between the three...

Will do and will post results when done.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Results as follows

Equipment: Samsung LED D5520, Sony BD760, Sky HD Box and finally Denon AVR2311.

1. Watching Blu Rays, Sony Blu hadles scaling.

2. Watching Sky HD, Samsung D5520 handles scaling

Note: (No Sky Hd Involved here) I have found the scaler in my Denon avr 2311 in my opinion and set up is the least efficent scaler in this test, I came to this conclusion when running an option in the Spears & Munsill calabration disc with text scrolling across the screen the Denon did not handle it very well, was inconsistant, jumpy and not as legible compared to my tv and blu ray which was smoother, a matter of fact there was very little between the tv and blu ray, but the blu ray just edged it here.

To note also the Amp did a better job of scaling compared to the Sky HD Box which was bottom of the list when it came to scaling abilities, but my LED now handles scaling duties here.

Order of Scaling:

1: Blu Ray

2. LED

3. AV Amp

4. Sky HD

It just proves the point and, experiment to find the best results.

TRENDING THREADS