Major changes to my system...

... after the festive period.

The Leema and PMCs are staying in situ. No debate about that.

What is going is the Electrocompaniet CDP or the Naim CD5i - or perhaps both. The reason is two-fold: Firstly, can't honestly remember the last time I played a CD. Over recent times it's been vinyl and radio of some description. And, second, I need to finance a new turntable. May as well use that money generated from the CDP(s) and put it towards a TT. Which turntable is still undecided. The following will (possibly) head the list, and why:

Rega P5. I know they're a few years old but like the slightly quirky look to them. Don't fancy the newer RP range. Sure they are really good but they look bland to me.

Gyrodec: No explanation needed on this one.

ClearAudio Emotion TT. Love the concept of the brand:

Townsend of some description: More research is needed. Like the look of these.

Roksan Radius: Look the part and I'm sure they sing in the right set-up.

Pro-ject Xtension: If I can pick one up at the right price.

Pretty sure other TTs will come into the equation. Don't have a timescale. Depends how long it takes to flog the floggable - and how quickly I can source the right TT for my set-up.

I'll possibly use the Blu-Ray player for CDs in the short-term. Maybe, if I get the urge, I'll upgrade the Panny for Marantz UD7007 Blu-Ray or other player of similar quality.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Interesting.

I had almost the complete opposite situation earlier this year, and am now completely digital. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had played an LP earlier this year, and with major domestic changes in the offing I cashed in my chips and sold the lot, deck and records, taking advantage of the new interest in all things vinyl and got considerably more for my records than I would have done a couple of years earlier. I can't say I've missed it either.

However as good as my Creek CDP is, it is just showing the first signs of playing up ( very occasional display freezing issues ) , so an investment in some form of disc player in the New Year may be an option. Another might just be to get Creek to service it.

In the New Year I'm hoping to get a demo of some NVA amplification, a brand that I've long wanted to sample, and I need to scratch that itch. It would have to be bloody good though for me to even contemplate moving on from my Creek amp however.

plastic penguin said:
... after the festive period.

The Leema and PMCs are staying in situ. No debate about that.

What is going is the Electrocompaniet CDP or the Naim CD5i - or perhaps both. The reason is two-fold: Firstly, can't honestly remember the last time I played a CD. Over recent times it's been vinyl and radio of some description. And, second, I need to finance a new turntable. May as well use that money generated from the CDP(s) and put it towards a TT. Which turntable is still undecided. The following will (possibly) head the list, and why:

Rega P5. I know they're a few years old but like the slightly quirky look to them. Don't fancy the newer RP range. Sure they are really good but they look bland to me.

Gyrodec: No explanation needed on this one.

ClearAudio Emotion TT. Love the concept of the brand:

Townsend of some description: More research is needed. Like the look of these.

Roksan Radius: Look the part and I'm sure they sing in the right set-up.

Pro-ject Xtension: If I can pick one up at the right price.

Pretty sure other TTs will come into the equation. Don't have a timescale. Depends how long it takes to flog the floggable - and how quickly I can source the right TT for my set-up.

I'll possibly use the Blu-Ray player for CDs in the short-term. Maybe, if I get the urge, I'll upgrade the Panny for Marantz UD7007 Blu-Ray or other player of similar quality.

Like your thinking PP. Did pretty much the same myself. Already had an Oppo 105eu so sold on my Stello DAC / transport combo to fund new TT.

Regards Townshend, note there is an 'h' in it, they do crop up now and again but never sold in great numbers so rare. In my opinion the one to go for is the Rock 7. It'll not be cheap though.

At the moment the CDPs are nothing more than demonstration of 'still life'. Don't see the point if they are surplus to requirements.

And perhaps I'm trying to recapture the magic of music from my yoof, in addition a good turntable gives you pride of ownership - it isn't just an oblong box.

When I said "can't remember the last time I played a CD...", I meant can't remember when I last sat down and listened to a CD.

Realise Townshend has a 'h' in it. Too early in the morning.*help*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

The P5 looked perfectly conventional (more than most Regas do IMO due to the wood veneers employed) ...

300x300px-LS-1bcfc758_333724775_P5.jpg

Maybe you are thinking of the decidedly quirky ceramic platter on the P7 ...

hfc345_rega1.jpg

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

The P5 looked perfectly conventional (more than most Regas do IMO due to the wood veneers employed) ...

Compared to the usual Rega turntable both the P5 and 7 looks a little quirky, don't you think?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Compared to the usual Rega turntable both the P5 and 7 looks a little quirky, don't you think?

In my opinion - as I said before - Rega's use of wood 'skirts' on the P5 made them look more conventional/traditional than their usual very stark/minimalist/utilitarian P3.

So, in other words, 'quirky' for Rega (they don't 'do' wood veneer or trim normally), but 'conventional' compared to the traditional picture of a turntable.

The ceramic 'UFO' on the P7 is a bit bonkers.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I think I must be a bit odd, I really like Rega's current design (not that this is why we buy these machines, of course) they're very simple but elegant, I'd happily have one in my living room. That said, the Clearaudio Emotion is just gorgeous, I think that's the sort of TT I'd have if I was going to get one... which I'm not... or am I?! *pardon*

Good luck PP, difficult choices ahead.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
I think I must be a bit odd, I really like Rega's current design ...

I do too. Especially in red gloss ...

img-gallery-rp6-red-b.jpg

... but then I have owned a couple of Planar 3s (and a P2) in the past. - including a made-to-order, sky blue, Planar 3 that I owned from 1996 - 2007.

chebby said:
Diamond Joe said:

... but then I have owned a couple of Planar 3s (and a P2) in the past. - including a bespoke, sky blue, Planar 3 that I owned from 1996 - 2007.

Yeah the RP6 or 3 or 1 in red does look quite nice. I actually man-handled one at Infidelity Hi-fi at Kingston. Nothing really wrong it but just didn't have the wow factor aesthetically. Rega, Pro-ject and many others seem to cut from the same cloth style-wise.

matthewpiano

If I was in the market for a better turntable right now I'd be choosing between the Thorens TD203 or TD206, or the Clearaudio Emotion.

I can see the temptation behind focusing on the vinyl, and I listen to my vinyl a great deal - more than ever, in fact. However, with over 3,000 CDs, I've got rather too much invested in that format to compromise with it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've just read a very favourable review of the £330 Audio-Technica AT-LP5 in Hi-fi Choice. (Add £30 for a lid which is a bit of a cheek.)

Looks completely foo proof and has direct drive.

Obviously i'm not suggesting it for you, just mentioned it in the nearest TT thread I could find really. (Sorry.)

It looks pretty plain, it is solidly built and sounds good according to a couple of reviews i've read now (apart from the supplied cart sounding a little bit rough in the extreme treble which can be fixed at little expense with the next cartridge upgrade).

Not much in the way of hi-fi bragging rights or DJ 'bling' but nice that AT are back doing a - relatively - affordable turntable for the home consumer without having to dress it up as a wannabe SL1210 for the bedroom DJ. Oh yeah, it has a pretty good, built in, switchable, phono pre-amp and also a digital output with bundled Audacity software.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I've just read a very favourable review of the £330 Audio-Technica AT-LP5 in Hi-fi Choice. (Add £30 for a lid which is a bit of a cheek.)

Obviously i'm not suggesting it for you, just mentioned it in the nearest TT thread I could find really. (Sorry.)

It looks pretty plain, it is solidly built and sounds good according to a couple of reviews i've read now (apart from the supplied cart sounding a little bit rough in the extreme treble which can be fixed at little expense with the next cartridge upgrade).

Not much in the way of hi-fi bragging rights or DJ 'bling' but nice that AT are back doing a - relatively - affordable turntable for the home consumer without having to dress it up as a wannabe SL1210 for the bedroom DJ. Oh yeah, it has a pretty good, built in, switchable, phono pre-amp and also a digital output with bundled Audacity software.

That looks very nice and perfect for a beginner. I've got to admit that I've been quite tempted to get one of those Project Essential or Project Debut decks with the line-level RCA and digital USB connections built into them. If I got one I'd need something as idiot proof and simple to set up as possible.

chebby said:

The AT does look robust. Nice. At this stage, I'm just concentrating on the selling of the CDP(s). If the TT isn't available, I'll wait until one comes up. It'll be worth it.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Diamond Joe said:

... but then I have owned a couple of Planar 3s (and a P2) in the past. - including a made-to-order, sky blue, Planar 3 that I owned from 1996 - 2007.
Couldn't agree more, that looks great in glossy red.

TRENDING THREADS