Samsung UE46F8000

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

lynne24 said:
gel said:
Electronic Empire doesn't work because it is a clearance website, you need to use Total Digital's website and it will definitely work.

@gel Thanks for letting me know. I did wonder. I'll just stick with using Total Digital price as a price match.

No probs.

D

Deleted member 2457

I never talk about delivery cost but I do mine over the phone normally with my local John Lewis. Not sure if it is different online. Mr W, where are you?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
lynne24 said:
MrW said:
I've had 2 price matches accepted against Totaldigital, and neither of them had the £30 added on, and I live nowhere near Birmingham!

@MrW Did you mention Total Digital's £30 Delivery Cost under "Information about additional charges" in your price match request to JL? Sure they're aware of it but wondering if it makes a difference if you don't state it in your request?

No, I never do, and they've never mentioned it either!

I figured it's for them to find out and mention to me!

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Had a bit of an issue with the Samsung offer, but JL have now sorted it out. Got to give them full credit for that. Basically, because I returned the Panasonics and exchanged for the Samsung, the VAT receipt was for the Panasonics due to some issue they've got. And once that's been issued you can't generate another, they told me. So that meant I wasn't able to claim the cashback from Samsung because they require a valid vat receipt proof of purchase. I spoke to a chap the other day but the problem didn't get sorted so I emailed yesterday explaining the whole thing again and they emailed me back last night acknowleding the problem and offered to honour the Samsung cashback offer themselves. As my other stuff arrived today I've submitted the details to JL and they are going to credit me with the £150 instead.

10/10 for them don't you think? Crikey, I wish more companies were as on the ball as they are. Perhaps they could have a word with service companies like BT ...thye need a lot of help in that area :roll:

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
That's great customer service.

Do you mind confirming how you claim the £150 cash back from samsung? My tv is due to be delivered on Wednesday. Do the delivery guys issue me with a vat receipt when they deliver?
Thanks ps - what did you purchase with the £150? The Blu ray I wanted is now OOS

lynne24

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
MrW said:
lynne24 said:
MrW said:
I've had 2 price matches accepted against Totaldigital, and neither of them had the £30 added on, and I live nowhere near Birmingham!

@MrW Did you mention Total Digital's £30 Delivery Cost under "Information about additional charges" in your price match request to JL? Sure they're aware of it but wondering if it makes a difference if you don't state it in your request?

No, I never do, and they've never mentioned it either!

I figured it's for them to find out and mention to me!

@MrW @gel Thanks both of you. Had no reply from John Lewis on my price match request with Electronic Empire as expected. So I'll submit another online price match with JL using the Total Digital price .....and I'll omit to mention the delivery cost! Do they give you an offer code or something so you can phone them and claim the price match? There's a John Lewis not too far away from my mum or she might to see if another local retalier would also do the same price match.

@siUK That's very impressive customer service from John Lewis! Wouldn't expect that from many retailers. Good on them.

Markfj1200

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new here as a forum member. I have been following this post for a week and thought I ought to say thanks to all who have posted on this thread.

I had been looking to buy this 46inch TV for some time and was close to paying the £1,499 at Curry's. However following the advice on here I submitted an on-line Price Match request to John Lewis on Saturday evening based on TD's price of £1,217.00 and JL got back to me this morning. They will match a price of £1,247 - essentially adding in the £30 delivery from TD.

What a result, I am going to place an order and purchase from JL the Samsung BD-F7500 Blue Ray player, which they now have back in stock at £179.95p - which is actually cheaper the TD's price.

Glad I found this forum, and many thanks again.

Markfj1200

lynne24 said:
Do they give you an offer code or something so you can phone them and claim the price match? There's a John Lewis not too far away from my mum or she might to see if another local retalier would also do the same price match.

You buy the TV at full price, and then call them on the number provided in the price match confirmation email, to refund you the difference.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Markfj1200 said:
What a result, I am going to place an order and purchase from JL the Samsung BD-F7500 Blue Ray player, which they now have back in stock at £179.95p - which is actually cheaper the TD's price.

Markfj1200

Great news that you got the price match on the TV; but there may be better options for your money than the BD-F7500.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Markfj1200 said:

Markfj1200

Great news that you got the price match on the TV; but there may be better options for your money than the BD-F7500.

I think he'll get the blu ray player with the Samsung cashback offer, so therefore very cheap, if not free.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
£150 'reward cashback' on the 46F8000, so that's a Blue Ray player for £29.99!

Glad we could all be of assistance!

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I finally decided to bite the bullet and went into JL Bristol to talk about the UEF8000. We decided to buy it and I spoke to the sales person about price matching with Total Digital whilst producing a print of the relevant page on their website. The guy that I was dealing with was already aware of Total Digital and after looking at my printouts and a cursory glance at the actual web page, agreed the price match on the spot - at £1217. He did not mention the additional £30 for delivery. JL are delivering to me later today and I will report back with first impressions. I'm far from a technophobe but, to be honest, I am not looking forward to getting to grips with the whole smart TV thing but we will see as I think that's the price you pay nowadays for getting the best picture quality etc. I just hope that it doesn't start to make my Harmony remote partially redundant as it currently serves [almost] all my day to day needs and keeping two remotes to hand is a reall pain.

I now have to decide what to do with the Samsung £150 cash back off - as it's conditional on buying another Samsung product, I had thought of either a new Blu Ray player, the BDF7500, which would need another £30 or a Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" WiFi but I have not seen many good reports on it (although I guess if you 'regard it' as a £129 tablet, it's probably a bit of a bargain. Any comments on either option would be much appreciated.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Boss - Thanks for that. On the Harmony issue, I don't really know until after a trial period but the one thing I know it will not do replicate the touchpad function on the relevant TV remote. However, I do not yet know how important that is to the day to day operation of the TV.

I know that only I can decide on the other Samsung product but my intention was to elicit comments on how good or bad the two options are from people who have actually used them - as I have said before in posts, I respect the opinions of the people on this forum as I hope we usually talk sense (well most of us anyway!). The bottom line is that I don't need either. I have got a perfectly servicable blu ray player, albeit one that's getting a bit old now and is not 3D (which, in any event, I'm not convinced I need or want) and I have also got a half decent Tablet - a Nexus 7 Mk1 which does me. Both would therefore be in the nice but not essential category BUT both would probably be a lot more fun and rewarding that getting an equally non-essential Samsung vacuum cleaner or similarly boring domestic product.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@ayjaycee: I have hardly used the touch pad remote thingy that came with my UE46F8000. I use the traditional black one that also came with it mostly. I tried the touch pad remote out when I got it but still prefer the traditional buttons. I'll no doubt give it a fair crack later though. As you can use either I don't see why your all-in-one remote wouldn't be able to duplicate the nav keys on the Samsung tradtional remote.

The Smart features are nothing to worry about. I ignore most of them :grin: Just use the catch up services like 4oD, ITV player etc. which are really good. It's all pretty straight forward, but I suspect for the majority of people the features stay just that, features, and if they were concrete things they'd need dusting regularly just to keep the cobwebs off ;)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
OH yes, I forgot to post this: Got a letter from John Lewis this morning. Very kindly sent me a £5 gift voucher to use instore or online. No idea why, but that's okay with me, it'll go towards something else :)

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Si, Thanks for the reassurance - I suspect that I will be like you and only use the catch up stuff. At the moment I have a YouView box for that but will see how the new TV compares and, possibly move the YouView box to the bedroom where it will replace the Humax 9300T which in turn, will probably join the currently 2 foot high stack of unused AV kit in the loft - I really ought get around to ebaying it all at some point but it never seems worth the effort for the prices that you get for such stuff.

lynne24

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Still had no reply to my price match request from John Lewis. My second request matching with Total Digital's £1217 was sent 4 days ago. Thought I would've heard by now. Frustrating as Total Digital's price has just gone up to £1235! My mum has just rang John Lewis and the assistant seemed put out she didn't already have an account with John Lewis. She said if you haven't got an account you'll have to wait a bit longer. Someone will get back to you within another 24 hours. Not quite the great customer service everyone else seems to have had so far!

Can anyone else confirm - Do you have to pay the full £1499 price to John Lewis then apply to them for the difference back afterwards as @bigboss said? Not sure my mum would want to do that.

Also, do John Lewis definitely include Samsung's free 5 year garuantee in writing if you buy at the lower price-matched price? A local store has told my mum they're not allowed to reduce their price as Samsung won't honour the 5 year garuantee if you haven't paid full price. Doubt this is true but can anyone confirm?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
lynne24 said:
Still had no reply to my price match request from John Lewis. My second request matching with Total Digital's £1217 was sent 4 days ago. Thought I would've heard by now. Frustrating as Total Digital's price has just gone up to £1235! My mum has just rang John Lewis and the assistant seemed put out she didn't already have an account with John Lewis. She said if you haven't got an account you'll have to wait a bit longer. Someone will get back to you within another 24 hours. Not quite the great customer service everyone else seems to have had so far!

Can anyone else confirm - Do you have to pay the full £1499 price to John Lewis then apply to them for the difference back afterwards as @bigboss said? Not sure my mum would want to do that.

Also, do John Lewis definitely include Samsung's free 5 year garuantee in writing if you buy at the lower price-matched price? A local store has told my mum they're not allowed to reduce their price as Samsung won't honour the 5 year garuantee if you haven't paid full price. Doubt this is true but can anyone confirm?

OK, to confirm:

1) JL seem to be taking about 5 days to do NKU online price matches at the moment

2) If you go into a JL, they 'should' price match on the spot (just take a print out of the web page showing the goods/price

3) If you buy online then yes you have to pay full price and then, once the goods have been delivered you call them and they refund the difference

4) If you go into a JL and they price match you pay the reduced price there and then

5) JL offer a 5 year guarantee on all TV's, even if they price match

Lastly, watch out for Black Friday deals tomorrow, you never know what you might find to price match (JL are having a Black Friday day as well)

D

Deleted member 2457

lynne24 said:

Yep, you can do it that way, you have 28 days afterwards to price match. I did it that way with my latest Panasonic, it is fine.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry if this is a silly question but I have now gone through setup and cannot see a way to switch between Terrestrial (ie. Freeview) and Satellite (ie, Freesat) without going back into the menu system which seems a bit odd - I would have expected them both to appear as sources - probable the first two in the list. Of course, it could be that I am being thicker than usual and have missed something significant (in which case please say so!).

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It's not obvious, you're not being dull! I was doing like you are until I worked it out. Press the CH List button in the centre of the remote inbetween the volume and program up and down arrow keys..just under mute button. It brings up the channel list, and then press the right nav key arrow and use the up arrow key to move to the top and select aerial. Then press the centre button/enter nav button to display choices. You can select Air Freesat and Satellite input from there and then you're done.

It's quicker than it sounds, but not as quick as a button on the remote to switch between them....which I'm suprised isn't there. Oh well. :)

lynne24

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
@MrW @gel Thanks for the info. Very reassuring! My mum should be able to get to the Trafford JL and buy in-store if they'll price-match. She rang them again and spoke to someone else who said our online requests must've got "lost". She submitted another request over the phone and they say they'll get back tomorrow. Not sure they'll match our original lower request but at least we're getting somewhere.

Good idea about Black Friday! Will have a look online if there's any deals anywhere else for price-matching but doubt anyone will beat Total Digital.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Re UE46F8000 remotes.

If you've got the Samsung UE46F8000 tv already and have been playing you may or may not yet have worked out that Samsung want you to use their touch pad remote rather than the accompanying token half sized black traditional buttoned one. You may find you like the touch pad, and I have to say, it is very easy to get used to, and simple enough to navigate the menus, and better than the small token one if you have big fingers. And not the the nightmare I thought it was going to be at all. Quite addictive in fact. However, after thinking I'd stick with it, I've now changed my mind.

There's one massive omission (for me) and that is the CH List feature ..it's not available anywhere on the touch pad menus. You can't access it at all via the silver touch pad remote! Searched every nook and in the end I phoned Samsung support. The guy I spoke to was polite and helpful, but he concluded like I did, that the feature was absent....so you have to use the black remote to access the TV's Channel List features and to get quick access for switching between freesat, freeview, and or satellite. That button is probably one of the most useful on the remote so for the feature to be completely absent on the all singing all dancing touch pad is just crazy.

Anyhow, I asked the chap if Samsung could supply me with a full size remote control instead, one with all the buttons on it as I don't want to have to use two remotes for the tv. PITA for sure. Of course that was a no go as the only remote they'd give you is the one you've already got for the TV. But, as I have two Samsung UE32F5500 TVs in the bedrooms I brought one of the remotes downstairs and tried that. Every single button works for every feature like it was actually made for the TV in the first place. And, it has an instant record button on it as well. It's a proper full sized remote as well. It has all the buttons that the token remote has plus all the buttons for the features they moved to the touch pad remote menus.Looks like that particular remote covers the F range of Samsung TVs (that's what I think, not what Samsung have said).

To conclude, f anyone is wants a full sized Samsung remote with all the buttons you'll need to buy a (genuine) SAMSUNG AA5900790A remote control. I just ordered one off of the bay (genuine brand new Samsung one, same model) for £15.99 inclusive of delivery. Aside of the CH List feature, as I'm using the TV's PVR feature as well it will be much better for me as the bigger remote's instant record button is where it should be, on the bottom right corner of the remote!

HTH someone.

TRENDING THREADS