Samsung UE46C8000: viewing angle, motion, and screen refelction.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a 37" plasma HD ready and have had a preference for plasma when it comes to upgrading (due to motion handling, especially football). However, I am now seriously considering LCD/LED tvs as it would appear that they are winning a lot of of the bigger screen reviews (from WHF) and that some of the latest Panasonic Plasmas appear to be having motion issues.

Are the LCD/LED and Plasma pros and cons so far apart now, apart from the obvious brightness of LCD over plasma?

Specifically, has anyone got the Samsung UE46C8000, and can they comment on motion handing (football) and if there are any big issues with screen refection (compared to those of the 50" LG in a recent post by Max), as my tv will be sited directly opposite a window?

How is SD performance?

One of my seating positions is at a 45 degree angle to the TV, so will this be an issue for the Samsung UE46C8000? What is the maximum viewing angle until the PQ becomes degraded?

Thanks.

Pauled.

A

Anonymous

my 46c8000 is next to big window (whole side of room) at angle of about 45' and theres no problems at all with light reflection.

The SD picture is as good as I've seen anywhere.

Motion is faultless - Sky Sports HD, BDs, streaming iso's etc.

In my opinion the whole visible viewing angle makes no difference.

So many picture settings - it does take a bit of fiddling to get it just so - u might want to take settings from one of the av tech sites as a starting point.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:
my 46c8000 is next to big window (whole side of room) at angle of about 45' and theres no problems at all with light reflection.

The SD picture is as good as I've seen anywhere.

Motion is faultless - Sky Sports HD, BDs, streaming iso's etc.

In my opinion the whole visible viewing angle makes no difference.

So many picture settings - it does take a bit of fiddling to get it just so - u might want to take settings from one of the av tech sites as a starting point.

What are your settings edsib1? If you don't mind me asking. My brother has just bought one and is setting it up soon after some deco work.

A

Anonymous

This is how i have HDMI 1 setup (streamer + ps3). Of course settings are somewhat subjective.

Mode: Movie

Backlight 13

Contrast 85

Brightness 45

Sharpness 20

Colour 46

Eco - all off

Black tone - off

Dynamic contrast - off

Gamma - -1

RGB only - off

Color Space - Custom

Red - 65 8 0

Green - 22 18 11

Blue - 0 18 50

Yellow - 55 38 8

Cyan - 10 34 52

Magenta - 56 23 52

10p White Balance - off

Flesh tone - 0

Edge Enhancement - on

xvYCC - on

LED Motion Plus - cinema

Colour Tone - Warm2

DNF - off

MNF - off

Film mode - auto 2

Motion Plus - custom blur reduction 10, judder reduction 0

smart led - standard

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply and for answering all my questions.

I did note on one particular in-depth review that their only real concern was black levels and 'auto-dimming' meaning that the intensity of the LEDs is varied according to the average picture level of the programme content, which they say is a little distracting and basically means that the picture visibly dims and brightens at times. Have you noticed this particular aspect of picture quality?

Otherwise, this looks a great tv.

Pauled.

A

Anonymous

I've seen the auto-dimming if u have the eco-sensor set to on - i leave it switched off. I think the option to switch it off was added in one of the (many) firmware updates. Theres been about 10 firmware updates in the 3 months or so I've had it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the info.

How do you get and / or apply the firmware updates?

Pauled.

A

Anonymous

you can set it to upgrade automatically using the internet, when its in standby.

or manually u can select menu, software upgrade, online

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Do you use different settings for various inputs? Eg SD, Bluray etc.

Are you using movie mode for SD as well?

I have just got a 40 inch C8000 and to date it looks really disappointing on SD, compared to my beloved CRT.

For some strange reason on Sky, the lower bitrate channels look better than the big terrestial channels! Especially BBC, which always looked good on my CRT. Freeview ain't too good either.

I have switched off all the processing - maybe I need it for SD. Its looks really fuzzy and noisy at present.

Still really in the process of setting it up, so early days and more to come I hope. Otherwise, I am going to miss my CRT. Now smashed on transit to my brother's house.

You also can't turn it off as such, only standby?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts