russ andrews torlyte versus townshend seismic isolation platform ?

U

unknown

russ andrews torlyte versus townshend seismic isolation platform.

has any body tested either platform ? under which components ? results ?

both claim simular sonic improvements but work in completely different ways.

torlyte platform designed to channel vibrations out of components, via the use of hard oak cones under components.

seismic platform designed to isolate components from floor bourne vibrations, with no additional cones needed.

thanks for replies !

U

unknown

thanks for reply pauln. i thought the asa was about cable claims etc. (no need to explain)

i take it you have not tried either platform ! (joke)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I use "Acoustifeet" (£5 for four) under my pvr and they completely eliminate the vibration from the hdd, which was transmitted to the cabinet it's in causing an annoyingly loud resonant vibration.

I don't have a problem with the CDP or the amp.

U

unknown

hello bigh, no i dont have a turntable. just cdp plus amp that could fit side by side on either platform. my kit currently rests (side by side) on a wooden table costing about £10 ! just wondered if anybody had tried either platform because, as stated, both claim to do the same sonic improvements but use totally different approach (?). the only experiment i did try was (2) flat slabs of polestyrene under both cd plus amp (so each unit was not resting on their rubber feet) just to see if there was any difference. this changed the balance of my systems sound but not by alot. it would be great if the various manufacturers would reveal what actual supports they use when tuning/testing their products (whats their reference ? cables aswell....). having seen photos from various shows, there does not seem to be any set reference stand that gets transported to the shows. i've seen pics of lottery win cdp/amps resting on floors, flimsy looking tables.....says it all really !

has any body actually tried these platforms ?

thanks for any further input.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No never tried them. For the amp unless its a value amp. I would not bother. CDP you could try some of those isolation feet (The Bright Star Audio IsoNodes ) or some that special material that I forget the name of. Some of the Russ Andrews claims are hard to believe, have you tried freezing your cds?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Torlyte is one of the better products RA has produced. I've heard it under turntables, CD players, valve amps (pre only), solid state amps and power supplies and the effect is consistent and beneficial. My only issue is the price. I think you can get better for less.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have an Atacama stand, but the fact I can lift up my Oppo whilst it is playing for dusting with no discernable effect on the sound suggests that nothing more fancy is required and the HiFi would probably be ok on a cardboard box.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I make my own platforms from plywood and cheap rubber feet.

Valahalla Technology may be worth checking out as well: http://www.kronosav.com/accessories/isolation.html

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not heard either of the products mentioned but I use two of these to put all my equipment on .

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/hi-fi-racks-stands/303-clearlight-audio-aspekt-hi-fi-stand-4-tier.html

They seem to have improved the sound quality but it is probably my imagination :) .

They are far too expensive for what they are but I got lucky twice on ebay and paid considerably less for them about 20% of the new price which is probably closer to their real value .

U

unknown

thanks for reply cnoevil. i suppose if isolation is the correct route, several layers of bubble wrap under a component may help ?

thanks for reply electro. i believe the isotek filters use rdc cones as feet. i beleive they should be used in combination with the stands you have.

any body else tried torlyte or seismic platform ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In my experience I find that the support platform is only really of importance in the case of record players.

Suspended players all appear to benefit from isolation on a lightweight platform, some 'solid' players too though I only have experience of Rega (lots) and Clearaudio (a little).

In general terms Turntable suspension appears to be much less effective at lower frequencies, <100hz. A light, rigid support is generally good at not passing low frequency vibration so is great for isolating a player from it's environment, highly recommended, by me anyway. Spiking, often in several 'layers' worked too in this case.

I had some dealings with Townsend in the dim past and I found his products to be pretty good generally, though his 'explanations' often seemed to make no real sense. I could never understand quite what the Seismic Sink was supposed to do, it was claimed to reduce vibration in components placed on it, though where the vibrations come from in, say, the case of a dac or solid state amp was never made clear. It appeared to make a difference with some components of a 'delicate' disposition and on or two of our clients used them but we never really bothered with them much.

U

unknown

thanks for your reply davedotco. i thought that "isolation" supports actually trapped any vibration inside the components (such as cd players spinning a disk) hence making any problems worse ? its strange that two completely different products claim the same sonic benefits.......

thanks again

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I dunno. There will be naysayers (like TrevC), but the first time I got a HiFi Racks stand I was pretty impressed. Solid wood seemed to do the trick for me, it changed the sound for the better considerably.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JoelSim said:
I dunno. There will be naysayers (like TrevC), but the first time I got a HiFi Racks stand I was pretty impressed. Solid wood seemed to do the trick for me, it changed the sound for the better considerably.

Unsurprisingly, I'm also someone who believes that the material your hifi sits on has a subtle but noticeable effect eg. Wood, Glass, Granite, Metal, Sorbothane. Personally, I like wood for its damping qualities, which is the opposite of resonating materials like Glass.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
JoelSim said:

Unsurprisingly, I'm also someone who believes that the material your hifi sits on has a subtle but noticeable effect eg. Wood, Glass, Granite, Metal, Sorbothane. Personally, I like wood for its damping qualities, which is the opposite of resonating materials like Glass.

Generally glass is not the best material yet the best turntable support I have ever used was the Mana. Despite the hype and the other nonsense surrounding the product, this was consistently the best.

When considering equipment supports it helps a lot if you know what you are trying to achieve, are you trying to isolate a component from it's environment, or conduct energy away from the component in question?

I think they are separate issues and need to be considered as such.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Generally glass is not the best material yet the best turntable support I have ever used was the Mana. Despite the hype and the other nonsense surrounding the product, this was consistently the best.

When considering equipment supports it helps a lot if you know what you are trying to achieve, are you trying to isolate a component from it's environment, or conduct energy away from the component in question?

IMO it's easy to over think all this.....I try a variety of materials and see how they effect the sound (some isolate and some drain energy and turn it into heat). The same solution doesn't necessarily work with every component.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

IMO it's easy to over think all this.....I try a variety of materials and see how they effect the sound (some isolate and some drain energy and turn it into heat). The same solution doesn't necessarily work with every component.

Far too 'random' for me.

I like to have at least some idea of what is happening, makes it much easier (for me) to work out what works and what does not.

Undoubtably the curse of an engineering background...... ;)