Question Running in/Burn in?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I reckon if you started a poll you might be a little disappointed!

I suspect if I ran that on my website (or most sites) id get more people who agree then don’t, not that I can ever think of raising benefits of burn in that would stear people either way. Normally when there is conventional wisdom in hifi, with cable burn in, in that catergory, you’ll find most agreeing with you.

I suspect if I ran that on my website (or most sites) id get more people who agree then don’t,

Your own website is likely to be visited by people who agree with you, I'd suggest. You could always do a poll here, but I reiterate that I doubt the majority would agree with the notion that cables burn in - certainty not to any audible degree.

Go on - I dare you! ;)

Friesiansam

About cable burn-in, this from Nordost:

"During the manufacturing process, as insulation is extruded over the conductors, gases can become trapped. This combined with the high electrical charges often found in new cables, result in a brittle and bright sound that lacks the detail and depth desired for music reproduction. There are a few ways to solve this problem. One way to burn-in your cables is to simply hook them up in your home audio system and play music for a minimum of 100 hours. Even better, use a burn in disc, like Nordost’s System Set-Up & Tuning Disc,, which provides a track specifically designed to produces a range of tones that stress the cables and expedite the burn-in process. However, the best solution is to treat your cables using a designated cable burn-in device such as Nordost’s Vidar. "

Personally, I think this is utter crap, to sell Vidar burn-in services, or setup disc, to the gullible.

I'm not a cable denier, and I can see that speakers may well need to limber up after purchase, but I fail to see that a fairly small current (in the scheme of things) can have a significant effect on a material's structure (or drive gasses out of it as per the Nordost quote).

Doesn't mean I am right, but appealing to an absent majority isn't the most persuasive of arguments to my mind.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
@12th Monkey Not everyone agrees with me on my website all the time. a better way is FB polls sharing to FB audiophile groups.
people on forums are rightly cable deniers in my view (on worth) of some snake oil stuff- why I don’t review pricey cables anymore.
Do you want to have a friendly tenner on it. I bet I win.
what should the question be - “do hifi cables benefit from burn in (or running in)?”

D

Deleted member 188516

"During the manufacturing process, as insulation is extruded over the conductors, gases can become trapped. This combined with the high electrical charges often found in new cables, result in a brittle and bright sound that lacks the detail and depth desired for music reproduction. There are a few ways to solve this problem. One way to burn-in your cables is to simply hook them up in your home audio system and play music for a minimum of 100 hours. Even better, use a burn in disc, like Nordost’s System Set-Up & Tuning Disc,, which provides a track specifically designed to produces a range of tones that stress the cables and expedite the burn-in process. However, the best solution is to treat your cables using a designated cable burn-in device such as Nordost’s Vidar. "

Personally, I think this is utter crap, to sell Vidar burn-in services, or setup disc, to the gullible.

i believe future shop (maybe others ?) will burn your cables in for you free of charge - just takes 96 hours the last time i looked !

But the gullible have already bought Nordost cables .......

With physical things, it's easy to understand. My car always rides better in summer or when the tyres are fully warmed - in the depths of winter it's less pliant. Kinetic energy is being turned into heat, and that does change the physical parameters of material.

Still no poll, eh?! ;)

D

Deleted member 188516

I'm not saying Futureshop are dishonest or, any other shops offering a similar service but, how would you know they had really done it?

good point - we don't really !

i believe for a small fee clearer audio will also burn in their cables too.

then there is my (alleged) employer russ andrews accessories who have various "levels" of burn in which if not purchased then means there (kimber) cables need up to 500 hours use for complete burn in !

Friesiansam

good point - we don't really !

i believe for a small fee clearer audio will also burn in their cables too.

then there is my (alleged) employer russ andrews accessories who have various "levels" of burn in which if not purchased then means there (kimber) cables need up to 500 hours use for complete burn in !
Took a look at Russ Andrews for the first time, not sure I will ever go back. As an example, I paid Oidio Sound, Cheltenham, ₤98.50 for a custom headphone cable, mainly because the Focal Elegia original was too short and stiff. RA has one that at ₤3000 costs more than Focal Stellias...

D

Deleted member 188516

Took a look at Russ Andrews for the first time, not sure I will ever go back. As an example, I paid Oidio Sound, Cheltenham, ₤98.50 for a custom headphone cable, mainly because the Focal Elegia original was too short and stiff. RA has one that at ₤3000 costs more than Focal Stellias...

the cables he sells are kimber though - he just has the exclusive uk selling rights.
i agree though the prices are ridiculous...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts