Rubber record clamp . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's????

Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

400Recordclamprw.jpg

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Comes from a Revolver Rebel I think.

They called the clamp 'The Pig'.

Yes Chebby, it seems Revolver used them, but mine certainly did come as a magazine freeby in the early 80's. Problem, I need to obtain some? . . . dont seem to be avaliable?

CJSF

CJSF said:
CJSF said:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

400Recordclamprw.jpg

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
CJSF said:
CJSF said:

400Recordclamprw.jpg

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' :)

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) You may have picked up on previous posts, I have been playing with spindle pucks and clamps because I have an acrylic 3mm ISOmat, very smooth surface, so a puck of some sort is essential.

The mat is affective, but the effect of the puck (mass) is quite obvious on sound quality, the lighter the puck the better? So I've been fiddling . . . :? It turns out, on my setup, it requires a balance of down force and the record clamp weight . . . I know it sounds strange but it has taken a lot of work today to balance it out.

The pig is OK but not a match for the Michell clamp once I had the down force worked out at 1.9g . . . the pig was beguiling at 1.7g but the record stability was not as consistent and the sound went a little wispy . . . and yes I did keep referring it back to the original felt mat setup, second best against the ISOmat. The felt requires another .01g of down force to sound right, but as Hazel said to me, "the felt mat does not quite have it in comparison".

CJSF

CJSF said:
Alears said:
CJSF said:
CJSF said:

400Recordclamprw.jpg

CJSF

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) You may have picked up on previous posts, I have been playing with spindle pucks and clamps because I have an acrylic 3mm ISOmat, very smooth surface, so a puck of some sort is essential.

The mat is affective, but the effect of the puck (mass) is quite obvious on sound quality, the lighter the puck the better? So I've been fiddling . . . :? It turns out, on my setup, it requires a balance of down force and the record clamp weight . . . I know it sounds strange but it has taken a lot of work today to balance it out.

The pig is OK but not a match for the Michell clamp once I had the down force worked out at 1.9g . . . the pig was beguiling at 1.7g but the record stability was not as consistent and the sound went a little wispy . . . and yes I did keep referring it back to the original felt mat setup, second best against the ISOmat. The felt requires another .01g of down force to sound right, but as Hazel said to me, "the felt mat does not quite have it in comparison".

CJSF

Don't know Philistine recordings although I've heard a few Phil Spector's :)
Yes, I have been following your other threads regards clamps and it doesn't look like the'Pig' covers enough area of the LP to be called a clamp as such.
I had thought about an Isomat at one point but ended up with the Origin Live variety which is quite good as it happens.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
CJSF said:
Alears said:
CJSF said:
CJSF said:

400Recordclamprw.jpg

CJSF

CJSF

Don't know Philistine recordings although I've heard a few Phil Spector's :) Yes, I have been following your other threads regards clamps and it doesn't look like the'Pig' covers enough area of the LP to be called a clamp as such. I had thought about an Isomat at one point but ended up with the Origin Live variety which is quite good as it happens.

A figure of speech . . . 'Philistine', the rather uncouth, warring nation of biblical fame . . . My personal feeling is that the acrylic mats may all be sourced from one supply??? . . . I could be wrong, the thinking seems the same and they work well enough.

If you are using a heavy puck . . . there is no doubt lighter is better on my system . . . IMHO

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:
Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8)

Some good isnt it CJ.

Hi Floyd, Jeff Beck is brilliant, a 'modern musician' as opposed to manufactured, modern 5 minuet wonders 'who think they have got tallent?'.

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
You'll probably call me a Philistine here , but I saw Jeff Beck the year before last at The Albert Hall , and as brilliantly gifted he is with a guitar and as good as his band were , I wasn't that wowed by them . I am familiar with a reasonable amount of his work , but I don't listen to it very often . It is probably something wrong with me .

Just about the same time I could have seen Porcupine Tree at the same venue , but not being as familiar with their music as I am now , I opted to see Jeff . So whilst I can now say that I've seen Jeff Beck in concert , if I had to make the same choice today I'd chose to go and see Porcupine Tree . I listen to their music all the time these days and I find it much more varied than Jeff's music .

I shall now retire to my air raid shelter ,

Nick

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
You'll probably call me a Philistine here , but I saw Jeff Beck the year before last at The Albert Hall , and as brilliantly gifted he is with a guitar and as good as his band were , I wasn't that wowed by them . I am familiar with a reasonable amount of his work , but I don't listen to it very often . It is probably something wrong with me .

Just about the same time I could have seen Porcupine Tree at the same venue , but not being as familiar with their music as I am now , I opted to see Jeff . So whilst I can now say that I've seen Jeff Beck in concert , if I had to make the same choice today I'd chose to go and see Porcupine Tree . I listen to their music all the time these days and I find it much more varied than Jeff's music .

I shall now retire to my air raid shelter ,

Nick

We are all entitled to our opinion . . . I dont go to concerts . . . in fact, these days, I dont go out! I rely entirely on what I hear on recordings, perhaps that makes me the uninformed Philistine . . . ? I'm happy at 'CJ Towers' with the drawbridge up, living in the past and doing my own thing:O

CJSF

A

Anonymous

I used to work for SEE Ltd, later known as Revolver. This device was the first ever product called The PIG - Precision Instant Grip. It was sold with all the turntables and could be used on other popular decks of the time.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Beat me to it, I still have my Revolver and my PIG, I recall it was considered a very good turntable back in the eighties and remember it used to out review the Rega Planar's at the time.

Mine needs a new belt but still works, could do with a bit of maintenance, my only criticism of it was that I thought it was a bit bass light, anyone else have views on this deck ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts