Ruark outshone by Mordaunt Short?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System
Arcam Alpha 8R amp
Alpha Arcam 7SE CD player

Following an accident to my old Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition speakers, I now only have one :-( However, I've managed to get a loan of a pair of Ruark Talisman floorstanders (original edition) until I get replacements for my MS 20i Pearls!

Imagine my surprise when I A/B tested the Ruarks against the Mordaunt Short and found the Ruarks to be wanting. I used several recordings, (some mono) and noticed that there was very little bass extension on the Ruark compared to the Mordaunt Short and the Mordaunt Short sounded more detailed. The Mordaunt Shorts are on Atacama stands and both the Ruarks and the Atacama stands have similar amounts of ballast in them.

I couldn't believe how such an expensive speaker could be apparently outshone by the Mordaunt Shorts. Could it be that my amp is struggling to drive the 8-Ohm Ruarks, or is there something different at work?

Also, what would be the closest currently available equivalent to the MS20i Pearls in terms of like-for-like replacement?

Thanks.

I'm not totally surprised by this. I know the MS 20i's were very well recieved, and having listened to Ruark Sabres recently I know that they do lack a little warmth, although personally, I quite like that in a speaker.

I had a similar experience when I tested some PMC DB1's at home. Compared to my RS6's, and given the price difference, maybe my expectations exceeded reality. Although impressed in certain areas by the PMC's, I was slightly dissapointed in others. Perhaps this is the crux of the problem?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
thats why i dont find myself spnding lots of money on stuff..because sometimes cheaper sounds as good or even better.but looks also count for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts