Upgrade suggestions ?

Quoman

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Fellow readers,

after many years with the same kit, I am seriously thinking of some upgrades. My current kit is as listed below.

I am definitely going to upgrade the CD player, amp, speakers and headphones (and possibly the turntable). I will not update the CD recorder nor the cassette decks. My tastes are rock (all shades) and pop and I favour a brighter sound. I also listen a lot via headphones so as not to annoy the rest of the family. I play mostly CDs with the odd bit of vinyl. I have a few special CDs (SHM, blu-spec, blu-spec2 , MFSL etc) so any suggestions as to a CD player that would do justice to their enhanced sound quality would be helpful.

For the headphones I was considering the B&W P7's but the cable length at 1.2m is way too short (I am definitely NOT interested in the wireless variety). The speakers should be floorstanders and preferably finished in a darker wood to keep my wife happy :). My budget is in the region of £3000. Any thoughts/advice on what I should consider ? Many thanks in advance.

> Rega Planar 3 (1982 vintage)

> Arcam Alpha amp

> Arcam Alpha 7se CD player

> Pioneer PDR 509 CD recorder

> Mordaunt Short MS25i

>Technics RSB 355 c/desk

>Onkyo TA-2120 c/deck

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is a possible suggestion - Bel Canto C5i, which has a good built-in DAC and a phono stage. Keep your CDP as a transport and take a Digital Out into the Bel Canto.

For speakers, look at Kef R500 (ex-dem).

jjbomber

Quoman said:
> Rega Planar 3 (1982 vintage)

> Arcam Alpha 7se CD player

> Pioneer PDR 509 CD recorder

>Technics RSB 355 c/desk

>Onkyo TA-2120 c/deck

Will these all be connected to the new amp, 2 digital and 3 analogue? Or is the CD recorder just joined to the Arcam 7SE, Similarly, is the second cassette just used for recording? You need to consider the inputs on the new amp, so that it can accomodate what you need.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here is a possible suggestion - Bel Canto C5i, which has a good built-in DAC and a phono stage. Keep your CDP as a transport and take a Digital Out into the Bel Canto.

For speakers, look at Kef R500 (ex-dem).

I like that too. BelCanto for a smooth sound and it looks yummy.

As regards to Headphones, I just got some Grados and can warmly recommend them for most genres other than perhaps stuff for which sub bass is important ie. electronica.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts