RP10 details up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
We love the sound of the RP8 - so we're really looking forward to this! :)

Yes, but is the RP8 superior in sound quality to a Michell gyro ?

Perceived value points towards the Michell.

Gyro with a Tecnoarm was only slightly better than my RP6, however with a SMEIV totally different proposition!

Its quite remarkable how these Rega decks sound - I heard an RP8/Apheta and it simpy sounded fanatstic and imo was above the Gyro/Tecnoarm

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE:

RP10 has landed at Cymbiosis, the Rega rep left his demo today while he goes to CES

Not sure how long he will have it for but gonna try and have a quick listen!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Peter the Linn Guru tweeted it sounds very nice - but hey he would do, hes a dealer!

£3000 nice?

Listening to my TT's, all modified to some extend, does make me wonder how much better one at that price would sound ... I don't know.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
stevebrock said:
Peter the Linn Guru tweeted it sounds very nice - but hey he would do, hes a dealer!

£3000 nice?

Listening to my TT's, all modified to some extend, does make me wonder how much better one at that price would sound ... I don't know.

regards

Exactly! My RP6 sounds pretty damn good to me - I see no need to change TBH - really happy with the Nagaoka cart running through the Elicit's phono!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Keep it. I know curiosity will win and you will listen to the RP10 that is a huge price difference. Let us know how you get on.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Was in Cymbiosis today (getting a replacement Elicit R)

I saw it in the flesh - it looks stunning, Peter Swain the LP12 guru and owner said its a stunning deck (but he would do).

I was too impatient to get home and didnt really have time, but on looks alone it is up there!

However I have had 2 problems with Rega now, there after sales service is superb, but am begining to loose a bit of faith in the brand!

Mind you had my Elicit on for a few hours - sounds lovely

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Steve:

i own a Rega RP3 with Elys, marantz PM6004.

just a quick question. What are the main differences that you have noticed between the Elys, the Exact, and the 200?

Thanks.

that RP10 looks beautiful, but sadly very much out of my price range!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ely2, Exact are not bad carts - I found them a little bloated on bass, a little bit too laid back for me.

The Dyn 10x5 was superb with detail and seperation, but found it a little too forward.

For me the Nagaoka I have tried (MP110 & MP200) give the detail, seperation without sounding too forwards - trust me the Nagaoka are lovely carts. Even the MP110 is excellent value.

This is only my personal taste though - yours may be different.

Are you happy with the Elys 2 throught the Marantz Phono? Don't forget the Phono plays a part to - Cart/Phono match is relevant!

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Steve.

yes in in a way I am happy, but every cloud had a silver lining right?!

This upgrade business is very difficult unless you're lucky enough to be able to hear everything you want :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Personally, not too sure about the RP10 but, after hearing the RP9, I would say go second hand for £3000.

To my mind a decent Origin Live combo will knock the socks off the Rega.

I agree Al ears its very easy to get addicted to the Rega decks, the RP6 is fantastic - will I buy a better Rega deck?,,,, No but they are nice sounding decks

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I would like to compare my P9 (latest model with RB1000) to the P10. When I bought the 9 I favoured it over a fair few decks that I tried, these included the gyro with tecno arm, Notts Anna Ace space with SME, Roksan with Tabriz, a LP12 of some spec at silly money. The choice for me came down to the P9 or Roksan, I am still not sure what made me go for the 9 over the Roksan, but for sure the fact that I was able to home demo the deck with Apheta and los certainly helped to swing it. I had a benz Glider to play with at the same time, the apheta become the keepr, and I sold the Glider on, and hearing what the Rega combo could do in my system/room made it a easier choice. The other decks are all just as good, and it is more a case of pick your poison rather than one being better then the other.

The gyro has probably the best soundstage, but got a little ''congested'' in heavy musical packages, the NA a very powerful and in control type presentation, that could be a little clinical, although you could call that good control, the Roksan hangs everything together really well, and The P9 just seemed to me to walk the middle path, but with a Rega style presentation, (fleet of foot?)

I dont think you can argue that one deck is better then the other, they are not. They just go about doing the job in different ways, one will suit you mare than the other. Change the arms on any of them and the results would change. If I was buying now I would want to try and hear the ace space with a AN arm, and OL Zephyr.

Albion59

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone here tell me what the wow and flutter figure of the RP10 is please? REGA refuses to publish these, see my separate topic on this.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Just schedule a demo. No figures are going to tell you anything about the quality of a deck in this range. W&F figures might be useful for a 100GBP deck.

TRENDING THREADS