RP1 with Performance Pack v Planar 1

Solo1138

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle with me. I've been looking at getting back into vinyl for several years and have finally gone out and purchased my amp and speakers.

My dilema comes with the turntable - initially i thought about the Project Debut SE, then i took a look at the Rega Planar RP1 with the performance pack. However What HiFi have now sent me into a spin (thanks chaps) with the review of the replacement to the RP1 - the Planar 1.

For the same money i can buy either the older RP1 with the pack or the newer Planar 1 and upgrade later - the reviews on both are superb. The wife says go for the older model as it's already upgraded but i have to say the review on the newer one (without the pack) is awesome.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to which way i should go?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Solo1138

Solo1138 said:
Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle with me. I've been looking at getting back into vinyl for several years and have finally gone out and purchased my amp and speakers.

My dilema comes with the turntable - initially i thought about the Project Debut SE, then i took a look at the Rega Planar RP1 with the performance pack. However What HiFi have now sent me into a spin (thanks chaps) with the review of the replacement to the RP1 - the Planar 1.

For the same money i can buy either the older RP1 with the pack or the newer Planar 1 and upgrade later - the reviews on both are superb. The wife says go for the older model as it's already upgraded but i have to say the review on the newer one (without the pack) is awesome.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to which way i should go?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Solo1138

Welcome to the forum.

It really depends on where you are going to buy them. If from a dealer do they both come with warranty? If not buy the new Planar 1.

You don't say what your amp is I notice.

Solo1138

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks,

The system is only going in my 'games room' upstairs so i picked up an open box Denon 720 from Richer Sounds - was going for the Marantz PM6005 but the Denon was £120 cheaper so it will be ok for now. The speakers are Q Acoustics 2020i so just a nice little system for a back room.

Solo1138 said:
Thanks,

The system is only going in my 'games room' upstairs so i picked up an open box Denon 720 from Richer Sounds - was going for the Marantz PM6005 but the Denon was £120 cheaper so it will be ok for now. The speakers are Q Acoustics 2020i so just a nice little system for a back room.

Many thanks. I stick with my advice posted earlier.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Solo1138 said:
I've been looking at getting back into vinyl for several years...

... or the newer Planar 1 and upgrade later...

Hi Solo & welcome to the forum.

My tuppence worth would be you seem to be serious about 'getting back into vinyl' so I would get the best that your budget will allow & for me, that would definitely be the Rega. As you said, you can always upgrade later... if you ever feel the need?

I genuinely believe you will be pleasantly surprised by either deck but for me, the Rega edges it.

Note: The often 'supplied with the deck' Rega cartridges do not do justice to the deck. Ask the dealer to demo the deck with a decent £250/300 cartridge just to hear how good it can be. Although a decent £60/80 cart will be fine to start with (e.g. Ortofon, Goldring, Audio Technica). I still occasionally use a late 90's Planar 3 with a £330ish Goldring Eroica moving coil cartridge & with that lovely rythmic, detailed, bassy Rega house sound it still sounds great.

Best of luck & remember to post how you get on.

Oh & prepare to become a vinyl junkie...like the rest of us.

NMANo1 said:
Solo1138 said:
I've been looking at getting back into vinyl for several years...

... or the newer Planar 1 and upgrade later...

Hi Solo & welcome to the forum.

My tuppence worth would be you seem to be serious about 'getting back into vinyl' so I would get the best that your budget will allow & for me, that would definitely be the Rega. As you said, you can always upgrade later... if you ever feel the need?

I genuinely believe you will be pleasantly surprised by either deck but for me, the Rega edges it.

Note: The often 'supplied with the deck' Rega cartridges do not do justice to the deck. Ask the dealer to demo the deck with a decent £250/300 cartridge just to hear how good it can be. Although a decent £60/80 cart will be fine to start with (e.g. Ortofon, Goldring, Audio Technica). I still occasionally use a late 90's Planar 3 with a £330ish Goldring Eroica moving coil cartridge & with that lovely rythmic, detailed, bassy Rega house sound it still sounds great.

Best of luck & remember to post how you get on.

Oh & prepare to become a vinyl junkie...like the rest of us.

I concur, for many years I had an old Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm and you'd be amazed with the quality of cartridge that could take....

Eventually perverted by Origin Live decks and arms but that's a leap up in quality, a nd perhaps the most misunderstood. ;-)

Until you do own one of course. Michell, eat your heart out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts