Routing a Freesat Aerial Cable

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi
I hope someone here has tried this or something similar before and will be able to enlighten me.
I have Freesat HD run into my living room and I want to run an extra feed into the bedroom, however I can't work out the best route for the cable and the shape of my bungalow makes things a bit awkward. The way I see it I have three choices.

1 From dish, down the wall, then along the outside walls to the bedroom, this requires a cable run of approx 30 metres which has 7 bends in it.

2 Follow current terrestrial aerial route, which is up wall, behind fascia, across flat roof, behind fascia again, then cable tied to the drainpipe, this requires a cable run of approx 24 metres and has 5 bends in it. I am concerned however that the current aerial cable is liable to sit in a pool of water if it rains heavily.

3 Straight through wall behind Freesat dish, into attic roof space, along attic and then dropped through bedroom ceiling, this requires a cable run of 11 metres and has 3 bends in it. Are there any particular pitfalls with this route? I can't work why the previous aerial contractor used the route across the flat roof when this would have been easier and simpler to my untrained eye. Is there something that prevents aerial cable being run through an attic?

Any advice from anyone who knows about these things greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

As a general rule I try to keep all cable runs as short as possible so I would opt for option 3, but to keep things neater instead of going through your bedroom ceiling I would route the cable across the attic, down the drainpipe and then back into your bedroom through the wall so you can install a plate (socket) on the inside rather than having trailing cable from the ceiling.

This may give you a few pointers:

Freesat Installation

daveh75

Gwyndy:3 Straight through wall behind Freesat dish, into attic roof space, along attic and then dropped through bedroom ceiling, this requires a cable run of 11 metres and has 3 bends in it.

Get's my vote
emotion-21.gif
-The shorter the run the better,as it means less attenuation of the signal,and fewer bend means less opportunity of cable damage.Also the cable will be protected from the elements,so will last longer.

Are there any particular pitfalls with this route?Not really other than being careful whilst in the loft,especially if it isn't boarded,falling through the ceiling will not only hurt it will be costly to repair!
emotion-1.gif

I can't work why the previous aerial contractor used the route across the flat roof when this would have been easier and simpler to my untrained eye.

Because,some less professional installers tend to opt for the easiest/quickest solution,rather than the best one.It's far quicker to sling a cable across a roof than it is to tack along a wall or clamber about in lofts trying to fish cables through soffits and ceilings.

Is there something that prevents aerial cable being run through an attic?There are no specific regulations preventing cable being run through/working in lofts,it's just often easier not to.

Though large companies like Sky etc wont allow their in-house installers in lofts.But thats about damage limitation. i.e by not letting their installers get into situations where they could cause damage in the first place,means less chance of insurance claims and therefore lower premiums.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Haystak and daveh75,

I've already got the quad LNB, now I know how much cable to get, I thought that I was going to have to buy a 100 metre drum of Webro WF100 so that I had enough for a 30 metre run as most places don't sell it in pre-cut lengths of over 20 metres. I'll have to think about re-routing the terrestrial TV/ FM tuner aerial cables while we're at it, I don't like them being on that flat roof.

You're help has been most appreciated, I've missed the forums.

Gwyndy

A

Anonymous

I have just had a new aerial installed for a bedroom upstairs, and i've noticed that the new aerial cable clearly penetrates the roof and must go through the roof lining and my tiles. The aerial is mounted on the chimney, and I can't see clearly from the ground how it is actually routed.

Is this common prcatice, because i can't see how an installer can take athe cable through the roof unless it went through a sealed stuffing gland that is sealed.

I would have expected the cable to run down the roof and enter underneath the soffit so everything is water tight indefinitely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts