Greg_g

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello,
Has anyone had experience of these two phono stages, or better still heard them both?
I’m looking for some input to help me decide on the best unit, given they are the same price.
Thanks in advance, Greg

Welcome to the forum.
Although I haven't heard the Rothwell the pretty easy answer is go for the MOFI.
Brilliant device with so much more in the way of features that make the Rothwell look overpriced.
Oh, and it's also made by people who know an awful lot about vinyl and turntables......
It has, for instance, a subsonic filter, a mono button and most of all can handle Moving Coil cartridges which the Rothwell, I believe, cannot.
if you don't need these features and are never likely to move away from Moving Magnet cartridges then the Rothwell may suffice

Reactions: Greg_g

Greg_g

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, makes perfect sense.
If I stick with MM, I wonder if the Rothwell would have as good or better sound quality as the Mofi. Perhaps a future review for What hifi…

Thanks for the reply, makes perfect sense.
If I stick with MM, I wonder if the Rothwell would have as good or better sound quality as the Mofi. Perhaps a future review for What hifi…
I doubt it. Both have been out for ages and items are unlikely to be reviewed unless a sample is actually sent in for that purpose.
Note: it is extremely difficult to test a phono preamp independently. The cartridge used is obviously going to be very influential.
I hope this isn't subtle spam.....

Greg_g

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
I See. No I’m genuinely interested in upgrading my system. I’m still learning but IMO these are the best two options below £300. I’ve read a lot of very positive stuff about the Schiit Mani 2 but I think that’s down to better (sponsored?) online PR.
My system is Arcam Alpha 9 + 9P amplifiers, Fluance RT82 deck with ATVM95ML cartridge and Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE floor standing speakers.

I See. No I’m genuinely interested in upgrading my system. I’m still learning but IMO these are the best two options below £300. I’ve read a lot of very positive stuff about the Schiit Mani 2 but I think that’s down to better (sponsored?) online PR.
My system is Arcam Alpha 9 + 9P amplifiers, Fluance RT82 deck with ATVM95ML cartridge and Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE floor standing speakers.
So, question is, are yiu ever likely to progress to a moving coil cartridge?

I’m thinking not, although I’m not sure of cost and benefit of MC compared to MM just yet.
If you would like my opinion it isn't worth moving to a moving coil cartridge unless you are prepared to spend upwards of £500.
Likewise do not spend out on a phono preamp that caters for MC unless you intend to use that facility at some point.
Having said that if, at some point in the future, you see yourself upgrading your phono preamp then the MOFI would be easier to sell on.
Complicated isn't it? :)

Too far in, but enjoy the vinyl trip.
Prepare to spend mucho squids if continuing the vinyl trend... :cool:
deciding whether or not to spend an extra £100 or so on a cartridge / phono preamp becomes a bit irrelevant when you consider the cost of a new double album...
Having said that, once you have optimum cartridge / preamp combo the law of diminishing returns says the only way to go ahead is buy more vinyl...

Greg_g

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Prepare to spend mucho squids if continuing the vinyl trend... :cool:
deciding whether or not to spend an extra £100 or so on a cartridge / phono preamp becomes a bit irrelevant when you consider the cost of a new double album...
Having said that, once you have optimum cartridge / preamp combo the law of diminishing returns says the only way to go ahead is buy more vinyl...

Greg_g

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
It was more about listening to the audio comparisons really. The reviewer was pretty much saying the Mani had superior reproduction in all categories compared to the Mofi. I couldn’t really hear a difference!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts