Rotel RB-1582MkII for 685 S2 overkill?

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I am looking for advice on adding a power amp to my current setup.

I’m thinking of adding the Rotel RB-1582MkII to my Rotel RA-12 & 685 S2 setup. I am hoping the power amp will give me a fuller sound at lower levels and a more open sound.

Is this correct? Or is adding the Rotel RB-1582MkII and overkill?

Any and all advice is welcomed!

Thanks all!

gasolin

You won't get a fuller sound with a different amp, mabye a liltte more but nothing major, if you want a fuller sound change the speaker they are the parts in you're system who don't have a full enough sound for you're taste

insider9

worldwidetrail said:
I am hoping the power amp will give me a fuller sound at lower levels and a more open sound.
Define lower levels. There's only so much you can do at low volume. Even much better speakers than yours may suffer if they're played at very low volume.

If your listening levels are really low then headphones would be the best solution. For the money you were considering to spend you will get a rather good pair.

Unless, you are not quite satisfied with how your system sounds at normal volume. Then changing the speakers would be the best way to go.

I'd agree with most of what others have posted here. We need more information on exactly what you think you are missing and what are lower levels?

For what it's worth I think matching a power amp with an integrated is a waste of money. If you are going that way sell the integrated and get a Rotel preamp. However I don't think even this is going to solve the problem I think you have.

gasolin

Whathifi say Deep, rich bass http://www.whathifi.com/bw/685-s2/review

Try to enhance the bass, if that isn't enough you would without any doubt not get the fuller sound you want buy getting at more powerfull amp, that won't make the bass as much fuller as you can with an eq/tonecontrol

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply all!

It sounds like going by the way of new speakers is the consensus. My current setup sounds good but I find myself having to turn up the volume to 60% of the volume capacity. It feels like the sound is “loud” rather than filling the room. I thought I could get a better wider and fuller sound with more power.

Luckily, there’s a Hi-Fi convention starting today so I’ll head down and check out some speaker options.

Insider9 thanks for the headphone option, I’ll pickup a pair for those ultra low listening session when the family is sleeping.

Thanks all!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts