Rotel RA 11/12

Capricorn36

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
After the positive WHF reviews of the Rotel RA 10 amplifier and associated awards I was wondering when WHF will be doing a review of the new RA 11 or RA 12 models in the Rotel range? Like the sound of the RA 10 amp but I cannot survive without a remote. Also like the idea of the on board DAC these higher end models have. Hope to get a review soon. Also keen to hear from anyone who owns either of these models especially if you got to compare them to the RA 10?

Thanks

First, it really depends if or when the manufactuers supply WHFI with a demo model to test.

Looking at the older models (RA-04/05) there wasn't much between them, so I'd expect this new range to follow a similar path. The best thing to do, though, is to dem the RA-10/11 and 12 and decide how they stack up with your current set-up.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cap36

Am a long time Rotel fan and so have recently upgraded my previous kit to an RA-11 (based on pricing brackets of the range). I auditioned the -10 & -11 side by side and whilst I much agree with the WHF review that the -10 is an exceptional piece of kit for the money especially when it comes to the sound and musicality, and most probably has a slight edge over that of the -11, it was not enough to make me eschew the features that the -11 possesess over the -10; onbaord DAC, digital input, etc. Also, if I am truthful I found the -10 a little too musical (I know that might sound silly to some) for my taste; I prefer a little more control and clinicality (if that is the right term?) to my music presentation, and this is where IMHO the -11 is better. I also prefer the styling of the -11 over the -10. Again, personal choice.

However that said one must do the audition for oneself...on the basis of the above. And both are great amps and well worth buying each in their own right. If you prefer a warmer sound then look elsewhere.

RA-12, not listened to as it was not in my price range and I do not need the 60w on off as the 40w that both the -10 & -11 have is fine for my setup. But from what I have heard the -11 & -12 sound very similar (spec-wise they look almost identical other than the wattage).

Hope that helps?

Balders

Capricorn36

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the prompt feedback. Look forward to March issue review and hopefully listening to the RA range as soon as I can find a store in Sydney that stocks them.

Excellent comparison you gave between RA10 and 11 appreciated also.

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
I am in the market fior a new amp around the £500 mark, any one got any more opinions on the RA11 as the onboard DAC looks very handy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts