Room acoustics and room treatment

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Yes, lots of room for improvement. I doubt that the two big modes left 43Hz and 57Hz (both axial one length and the other width) are going to be doable. It would most likely have to be tuned traps which will cost more than I'm prepared to spend, considering there would have to be quite a few. I'm not giving up just yet but with that quality sound with no dsp at present I must say it's all not so urgent and I'm enjoying the music.

I've read somewher that a good value for RT60 below 200Hz would be 125% of whatever the average above that is. In my case it goes from 0.25 at 80Hz to 0.6 at 60Hz which is loads more :) Lucklily most of music happens above these frequencies.

And having just dipped my toes into room treatment I'd go as far as saying that I'm far more impressed with room treatment than with DSP. Both have a very good aplication and I can't wait to unleash both. But if I could only have one I'd rather have a treated room than DSP. Once Minidsp is repaired I'll definitely be able to do both and so much more. Especially as I will convert the speakers to active and will have complete control over not just frequency plot but the phase.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree treatment first as it does all the things dsp cannot.

Similarly the dsp irons out the last bit of our bad rooms that is difficult to fix.

I am also under no illusion that a much larger room done well will be a much better experience.

How are you finding it now you have had more time in there. Do you still want to take some panels out?

insider9

I would considering adding and maybe tidying up a bit. Might look to build frames to actually hang them. Just making it look professional.

Yes, small rooms are terrible which in a way makes me feel even better about the results :)

DSP will be the final bit of a puzzle and doing active conversion a cherry on the top.

insider9

I always try to optimise things. No point in having 16 panels if 6 or 10 would have the same effect.

I'll be testing effect of tone controls today since I still haven't got DSP. Will be interesting to see what can be done with bass setting on a preamp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts