Roksan Xerxes - can anyone offer advice/insights??

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm watching a few of the Xerxes decks online at the moment, and I'm trying to glean any relevant information that might help me decide whether or not to bid. I'm assuming from the listings and general appearance, that the black-base Xerxes is a rather old incarnation of the deck, and that the usual caveats apply when buying a second-hand, eBay listed piece of kit. Especially a turntable. I started off, as mooted in a previous thread, pondering an arm upgrade for my Radius. The Tabriz was one of the obvious contenders, and I was watching one. In fact, I believe it may have been listed by a regular poster to these forums. However, the price and other considerations about how much difference an arm would make came into play and thwarted my initial enthusiasm. A modicum of "research" (aka typing Roksan turntables into eBay), has brought me face to face with a new temptation, namely, an entire replacement for my current vinyl player. I don't know anything about the Xerxes decks other than praiseworthy reviews for the most recent versions. So can anyone shed any light on these older Xerxes decks. One of the ones I'm looking at has a Tabriz ZI arm and Corus cart too. Anyone able to share some pertinent thoughts?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Charlie, had one many years ago with an rb 300 arm and chorus black cartridge, best sounding deck i have owned, sold it to fund a failed project, big regret anyway the only problem with these decks is a sagging plinth so if the one your watching has no problems and with roksan still making these decks there shouldn't be a problem, they seem to be cheaper than LP12's as well.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
gregory:Hi Charlie, had one many years ago with an rb 300 arm and chorus black cartridge, best sounding deck i have owned, sold it to fund a failed project, big regret anyway the only problem with these decks is a sagging plinth so if the one your watching has no problems and with roksan still making these decks there shouldn't be a problem, they seem to be cheaper than LP12's as well.

Thanks Gregory for your comments.

I'm certainly very tempted.

Hi,

A good spot indeed and you would be wise to keep an eye on this item. Agree that as long as plinth has not sagged it shuold be a good buy. Condition of the motor may come into play if it has had a lot of use. Buy a new belt anyway if you decide to go for it.

By he who did indeed list the Tabriz you were watching........

On a personal note I think the Radius is up to the standard of old Xerxes and has a lot less to go wrong with it.

Stick with your original plan would be my suggestion.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
Hi,

A good spot indeed and you would be wise to keep an eye on this item. Agree that as long as plinth has not sagged it shuold be a good buy. Condition of the motor may come into play if it has had a lot of use. Buy a new belt anyway if you decide to go for it.

By he who did indeed list the Tabriz you were watching........

On a personal note I think the Radius is up to the standard of old Xerxes and has a lot less to go wrong with it.

Stick with your original plan would be my suggestion.

Hi Alears,

Thanks for your thoughts about the relative merits of an older Xerxes versus my current Radius.

Can I ask you if you've sold your Tabriz arm elsewhere or will it be re-appearing on eBay soon?

Hi Charlie,

I have it still and it's in a couple of magazines now.

It may be re-appearing soon but was thinking of leaving it until after Christmas when there may be more interest.

You still watching that Xerxes? They were good in their day but the radius is easily its equal in my opinion.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
Hi Charlie,

I have it still and it's in a couple of magazines now.

It may be re-appearing soon but was thinking of leaving it until after Christmas when there may be more interest.

You still watching that Xerxes? They were good in their day but the radius is easily its equal in my opinion.

Yes, I'm still half-watching the Xerxes. It's an option, but then again, so is the Tabriz arm on it's own.

I'll see what transpires.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie - the benefit of a used Xerxes is obviously price, but having said that, it might be worth listening to one of the new model Radius turntables - I've used one of these extensively and its one of the best options available alongside the slightly less expensive Clearaudio Concept. Its also more straightforward in many ways and may need a little less attention on a regular basis to get the best sound from it.

And, whether it be important in the buying process or not, the Radius is one of the more sexy turntables available IMHO!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
audioaffair:
Charlie - the benefit of a used Xerxes is obviously price, but having said that, it might be worth listening to one of the new model Radius turntables - I've used one of these extensively and its one of the best options available alongside the slightly less expensive Clearaudio Concept. Its also more straightforward in many ways and may need a little less attention on a regular basis to get the best sound from it.

And, whether it be important in the buying process or not, the Radius is one of the more sexy turntables available IMHO!

Charlie has a Radius now. You're right, though, they are a thing of beauty.

Charlie,

I think the general concensus is that you should keep your Radius as the only benefit to you if buying the Xerxes would be to gain a Tabriz arm and a used Corus cartridge. Depends on the ultimate asking price to whether or not it is work it to you.

What cartridge do you have at the moment?

If you were to get the Xerxes just to obtain a replacement arm for your Radius you could, I guess, then resell on the Xerxes without an arm and maybe recoup some money that way.

By the way if you do decide to keep radius do yourself a favour and get rid of the useless feet. Replace them with a decent set of isolating and adjustable ones and it will improve the radius no end!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

It does indeed seem the consensus is to stick with the Radius, and I think, at least for the now, that's what I'll do.

Alears, my current cartridge is a Goldring 2400. Secondly, regarding the "useless feet" on the Radius, do you have any recommendations for their replacement?

Cheers all.

Charlie,

I replaced mine with a set of Isokinetic ISOrb feet that can be purchased from a well known auction site.

I note, however, that the now longer do the version I had which screwed into existing threaded holes. The newer version appear to have Sorbothane pads that simly 'stick' to the turntable - as such that would not be any good for levelling purposes as the old version could.

Much more expensive types such as Isonoe Isolation Feet can be found if you do a quick Google.

You may find the original feet to be perfectly adequate but i could not use mine as a fine-tune levelling device as I think they were originaly intended as they wobbled tooo much if unscrewed even slightly from their fully screwed in position. It would also depend on how you have your turntable isolated at present / what sort of support it is already on and whether that is suitably level already.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
Charlie,

There is a Tabriz on a well known auction site if you were still considering upgrading the Radius.

Did you find any interesting feet?

Thanks for the info', Alears.

I'll keep an eye on the listing. Do you think the seller would be open to a "buy it now"-type of offer?

Re feet: nothing as yet. Just my own distinctly uninteresting ones.

Cheers for now.

I guess there would be no harm in asking Charlie. There seems to be little interest in it at the moment.

Is it just me that had problems with Roksans non-adjustable feet on the Radius or do you feel the same problem is inherrent in all Radii?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
I guess there would be no harm in asking Charlie. There seems to be little interest in it at the moment.

Is it just me that had problems with Roksans non-adjustable feet on the Radius or do you feel the same problem is inherrent in all Radii?

Thanks Alears.

I'm considering my options at the moment. My local dealer is enticing me with a decent price for a brand new arm and cartridge, and I'm also still thinking of the Leema Elements phono stage.

A few choice items of vinyl will be arriving, snow permitting, in the next few days, so I'll ponder my next move over a mug of Assam and a barrel of Special Brew(!) or some such intoxicant.

Re: feet. Until you mentioned it, I'd never given it a second thought. The upgrade items you referred to are, as you acknowledged, not cheap. I'll put that particular tweak on hold for now.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Buy it, if in good shape, ie no plinth sag. Every other part u can buy 2nd hand. I still have my Xerxes from 1986, well looked after. SME 5 tonearm and Lapis Lazuli MC cartridge and in my opinion I have not heard better. They are a standout 2nd hand buy in good condition. Try to listen first, partnered correctly nothing sounds better and I mean that - nothing.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charlie,

I had a Xerxes purchased in 1989 in black with a new SME IV and an AToc7 mc cartridge, Musical fidelity pre and MA 50 monoblock power amps with Celestion SL600 si speakers. I was 19 and silly because I sold the lot to buy a car Oh dear!!! I paid £540 for the tt, £675 for the SME and £250 for the cartridge. From memeory the three MF amps came to £1100 or thereabouts and the Celestions which were £800 for the pair.

Now - I bought a xerxes 2nd hand last year because I listened to the new Radius, most posters on here nowadays are of the opinion that the Radius is far superior to the old Xerxes. Well not in my opinion and I listened to both through the same amp, speaker comb. because I had a Radius, Nima, Chorus on home trial.

IMO the old Xerxes takes a battering on forums and mainly from the Linny`s because until the Xerxes came along the LP12 was the only TT at this price. Used ones now which are in good condition are well worth purchasing. Get a Rega RB 250 even and have it re-worked by Origin Live and then add a DC power supply from Origin Live and you will be astonished. On E-bay avoid Roksans that are priced under £500 for the TT alone because I found at less than this price they were not quite in tip top shape - going on 25 yr old at the end of the day. Other upgrades cheaply are the ball bearings and the Blobs which can now buy again from Roksan or there are companies who will custom make these parts. Once installed the plinth will not sag any more than it has done already - plinth sag should be checked before purchase.

I have recently come back to audiophile since the late 80`s and early 90`s. 20 odd years ago as a young man I read every Hi-fi magazine and their reviews by such as Jimmy Hughes. The gap in between I know every little about. However recently I have heard comments about LP12, Xerxes, Manticore Mantra, Pink Triangle, Linn Axis, Michel Gyrodek and Townsend Rock. In the real world these reviews at the time listed the LP12 and the Xerxes as the best amongst this breed. You wont hear Roksan admit this but consider how much it would cost to produce the Xerxes new today? Far more than the Radius I reckon and the price says it all with Xerxes 89 costing the same as a good Xerxes today! Now there is a good purchase.

My old system was just delightful and to get the same sound today I think I would have to work a very long time - I dont get caught up in the upgrade this and this new tech is better than then by so much, I WAS THERE AND I HEARD WHAT I HEARD so I know this is a world class TT and a true bargain in todays market. So go on - find yourself a nice Xerxes - mine is Piano black and a real looker with a Goldmund matter and makes me chuckle every day.

Regards

Will

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Having had a Xerxes>SME V>AT-OC9, which I bought fleabay for £1300 a few years back, I agree that they are a great package and are only reasonably priced now because of the 'legend' that surrounds the LP12 keeping their prices high. How the the Xerxes compares to the Radius? I don't know but the Xerxes was better than the same priced LP12.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts