Roksan setup vs Naim setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

danmo:Hi,

I am in a smaller room than that, just bigger than 3m x 2.5m

Have PMC GB1i (small floorstanders).

The kandy K2, to me, gives a detailed sound with very good imaging (speakers are towed in bit too) bass is quick and punchy and the mid and treble have lots of detail (partly due to the speakers)

If the budget could go to 1500 for amp and same for cd, i would reccommend going for a cd player with a pre and power amp, then next step would be to get another power amp and bi-amp the speakers.

I've heard good things about ATC, but never heard them. You could look at the PMC FB1i (about 2k though).

I think for your budget you could prob get the Roksan caspian m-series cd player, pre amp and stereo power amp.

Try get a demo somewhere of a few systems, Roksan, Naim, Cyrus and Primare come to mind as good for that money.

Good luck with it, hope you find something you like.

Dan.

Thanks for sharing your insights Dan. Looks like the PMC GB1i got some good reviews. Guess I'll have to include them in my list.

Somehow I don't fancy the pre/power amp setup.....don't know why. An idea just crept into my head => instead of spending the whole £1,500 on each component, I'll spend less and get the Roksan Kandy K2 cdp + amp for now. Later I'll add in either a Naim or Cyrus setup. This way I'll get to do some swapping and get the best of both worlds.

Hi, I appear to have found this discussion very late on however hope I can help.

Understand your dislike of pre / power amp combination. I was the same initially but ended up with Roksan integrated and then got their K2/3 stereo power amplifier and ran both bi-amping my speakers. I suggest you could look at doing the same considering you room size and especially if you plan to get ATC speakers. I would suggest against a Roksan CD player as, in my humble opinion, they are not quite up to the mark considering the opposition currently available. I can understand keeping a 'one make' system purely on esthetic grounds but not if sound quality suffers. In this department I would suggest a Cyrus CD (6 or if possible 8).

A

Anonymous

Alears:
Hi, I appear to have found this discussion very late on however hope I can help.

Understand your dislike of pre / power amp combination. I was the same initially but ended up with Roksan integrated and then got their K2/3 stereo power amplifier and ran both bi-amping my speakers. I suggest you could look at doing the same considering you room size and especially if you plan to get ATC speakers. I would suggest against a Roksan CD player as, in my humble opinion, they are not quite up to the mark considering the opposition currently available. I can understand keeping a 'one make' system purely on esthetic grounds but not if sound quality suffers. In this department I would suggest a Cyrus CD (6 or if possible 8).

jtein have you bought your speakers yet

also do you have carpets and heavy european style furniture in you room

i ask say this because ive lived in the tropics where the norm was no carpets and lighter style furnishings no heavy curtains either all of which can drastically affect the sound

if you have that sort of furnishing you may find the atc and cyrus combination too clinical and would be better off with a warmer sounding amp and or speakers

what sort of music do you like

A

Anonymous

Alears:Hi, I appear to have found this discussion very late on however hope I can help.

Hi Alears....many thanks for your input. No worries....I only plan to get my gear late November. I'm now looking at some probable setups and it's an exciting time.....sometimes even more exciting than the purchase itself!

I'm not only looking at ATC but also seriously considering ProAc Studio 140 and Spendor A5. As for Cyrus CD6SE or 8SE, they were initially my top choice but I have grave reservations after reading a few threads in this forum about them not being able to read CDs even after sending them back for software updating.

A

Anonymous

one off:jtein have you bought your speakers yet

also do you have carpets and heavy european style furniture in you room

i ask say this because ive lived in the tropics where the norm was no carpets and lighter style furnishings no heavy curtains either all of which can drastically affect the sound

if you have that sort of furnishing you may find the atc and cyrus combination too clinical and would be better off with a warmer sounding amp and or speakers

what sort of music do you like

Hi one off.....I haven't got my speakers yet. I only intend to do it late November together with the amp and cdp. I don't have the luxury of auditioning different makes one at a time over a few weeks as I have to travel 200km to get access to hi-fi outlets.

Anyway, to answer your question - no carpets or heavy curtains in my living room but I do have rather heavy and substantial fabric sofas. I am actually more inclined towards clean, transparent, precise, detailed sound with great soundstage and imaging yet not sacrificing musicality at the same time.

I listen mostly to R&B, jazz, gospel, pop, a bit of rock and classical and lots of choral stuff too.

A

Anonymous

any of the amps you mention plus the cyrus should be fine

my preference would be for the naim because of the musicality you mention though its less analytical than the cyrus

A

Anonymous

one off:any of the amps you mention plus the cyrus should be fine

my preference would be for the naim because of the musicality you mention though its less analytical than the cyrus

I would like to go for the Cyrus.....it's just that I have reservations about it because of the cd reading problem

A

Anonymous

the only problem i have is that in one thread you say you are having a hard time choosing between the roksan and the naim whereas in this one you say youd like to go for the cyrus

your bound to get contrary advice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts