Roksan Radius owner seeks upgrade.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've posted this before and the general consensus seemed to be inclined towards a new deck. I love my deck, for it's sound, it's ease of use and maintenance, and it's looks. So I'm reluctant to simply ditch it in favour of a different deck. Recent speaker and amp upgrades in the last six months have limited my budget for this vinyl-playing upgrade. Two scenarios: 1) £500. New phono stage or new cartridge? (Currently in situ: Musical Fidelity X-LPv8 & Goldring 2400) or 2) £1,000 on a second hand deck superior to the Radius or both phono stage and cart. Which way should I jump?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I can understand your reluctance to get rid of the Radius. It's a gorgeous looking bit of kit and, from what i've read, it sounds just as good as it looks.

If it was me, it'd be keeping the deck and getting a new cartridge, for starters. If I still wanted more after that, i'd get a new phono stage.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
I can understand your reluctance to get rid of the Radius. It's a gorgeous looking bit of kit and, from what i've read, it sounds just as good as it looks.

If it was me, it'd be keeping the deck and getting a new cartridge, for starters. If I still wanted more after that, i'd get a new phono stage.

Thanks for that, Bretty.

As you can see, I'm in at least two minds as to where to go with this one.

What's the latest on your turntable escapades? Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere but I didn't keep up with it. The last I knew was that you were awaiting a new power supply and or arm for your Michell deck. Is that right? What's new? Is it up and running yet?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:bretty:

Thanks for that, Bretty.As you can see, I'm in at least two minds as to where to go with this one. What's the latest on your turntable escapades? Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere but I didn't keep up with it. The last I knew was that you were awaiting a new power supply and or arm for your Michell deck. Is that right? What's new? Is it up and running yet?

The latest on the Gyro is that i'm upgrading the motor to the DC version (which comes with a power supply, so it kills two birds with one stone). I'm also getting the Audio Origami modded Rega rb251 arm. I'm a little reluctant to pull the trigger right now though. Winter can be a brutal time in my business, if the weather turns bad. So, although i've got the money for both the motor upgrade and the arm in the bank, i'm hesitant to spend it, as I may need it as a buffer.

Bottom line is, if the weather stays ok for the next few weeks, i'll be able to put enough away to cover my butt through winter and that will free up the funds for TT stuff. If not, it's gonna have to wait til the new year. I bloody hope it's before then, though! I've had one of the best TTs in the world in my house for over a month and I can't listen to it. It's Torture!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Charlie,

I see you've got yourself A MF V LPSv8 Phono Amp. I know very little about Phono amps but have been keeping an eye on one of these on a well known auction site. From what I've read they are quite highly regarded, what do you see as being its shortcomings then?

Just at this moment I'm home demoing a beautiful Croft RIAA Phono amp (valves and all) which I'm deciding whether to take the plunge and find the cash from somewhere. Lovely bit of kit mind. I'm SO tempted.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:I've posted this before and the general consensus seemed to be inclined towards a new deck.

I love my deck, for it's sound, it's ease of use and maintenance, and it's looks. So I'm reluctant to simply ditch it in favour of a different deck. Recent speaker and amp upgrades in the last six months have limited my budget for this vinyl-playing upgrade.

Two scenarios:

1) £500. New phono stage or new cartridge? (Currently in situ: Musical Fidelity X-LPv8 & Goldring 2400)

or

2) £1,000 on a second hand deck superior to the Radius or both phono stage and cart.

Which way should I jump?

This was always going to be a tough one, the Radius is a good deck and you already have a decent enough phono stage and cartridge but will getting a new phono stage and cartridge stop what is now becoming known as 'brettyitus'!. Seriously, I would be inclined to follow Brettys example and look at a Gyrodec as I think upgrading within your current setup will only ever be a short term solution. I've been there and done that with turntables and the cheapest long term solution, in my opinion, would be the Michell which looks great and sounds great and future upgardes will always pay further dividends.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:I've posted this before and the general consensus seemed to be inclined towards a new deck.

I love my deck, for it's sound, it's ease of use and maintenance, and it's looks. So I'm reluctant to simply ditch it in favour of a different deck. Recent speaker and amp upgrades in the last six months have limited my budget for this vinyl-playing upgrade.

Two scenarios:

1) £500. New phono stage or new cartridge? (Currently in situ: Musical Fidelity X-LPv8 & Goldring 2400)

or

2) £1,000 on a second hand deck superior to the Radius or both phono stage and cart.

Which way should I jump?Keep your deck- it's a brilliant one! and so good looking! Replace the cartridge or look into getting a fantastic phonostage :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB:
Hi Charlie,

I see you've got yourself A MF V LPSv8 Phono Amp. I know very little about Phono amps but have been keeping an eye on one of these on a well known auction site. From what I've read they are quite highly regarded, what do you see as being its shortcomings then?

Just at this moment I'm home demoing a beautiful Croft RIAA Phono amp (valves and all) which I'm deciding whether to take the plunge and find the cash from somewhere. Lovely bit of kit mind. I'm SO tempted.

Hi DIB,

Regarding the MF Phono amp, I wouldn't necessarily say it has obvious shortcomings. It's more simply a case of upgrade-itis setting in, and the phono stage being a possible weak (relatively speaking) link. Although, prompted by the Elton John fest on BBC2/HD last night, I dug out an ancient copy of his Greatest Hits Vol.1 this morning, and it sounded wonderfully involving. At least for a few tracks upgrade-itis was cured.

I love the idea of valve phono stages, but I've no idea about their "synergy" with my other kit.

My local dealer was great when I upgraded to the Caspian amps a few months ago, and let me have it for a over a week on trial. I may investigate trying something similar with a few phono stages.

Cheers.

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you but will be soon getting rid of my Radius.

Can I suggest another option for you, I could help you out here, change the tonearm to a Roksan Tabriz and buy a new cartridge.

Leave the phono stage for later.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
Hi,

Can I suggest another option for you, I could help you out here, change the tonearm to a Roksan Tabriz and buy a new cartridge.

Hi there,

Is it possible to replace the Nima arm with a Tabriz? My deck is the Radius 5, to be exact.

I'm a complete technical dunce, so naturally I'd have to get a dealer to do this for me. That aside, if it would work, it's something I might well look into.

Any specific suggestions for cartridges?

Cheers.

Charlie Jefferson:Alears:

Hi,

Hi there, Is it possible to replace the Nima arm with a Tabriz? My deck is the Radius 5, to be exact. I'm a complete technical dunce, so naturally I'd have to get a dealer to do this for me. That aside, if it would work, it's something I might well look into. Any specific suggestions for cartridges? Cheers.

That is just what I have, the wood finish one to be exact. No trouble at all to fit the arm - straight swap virtually. For cartridge you might try second hand Roksan Corus Black for a moving magnet or Denon DL-103 or 103R if you can utilise a low output moving coil. Not too sure what your current phono amp can take.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that.

Do you know if there's much of a trade in second-hand tonearms or is it essential to buy it new?

I presume, like all hi-fi components, it's a risk going for a previously owned one, but that could be offset by the favourable price.

The hunt, for a new or used one, starts now!

Charlie Jefferson:Thanks for that. Do you know if there's much of a trade in second-hand tonearms or is it essential to buy it new? I presume, like all hi-fi components, it's a risk going for a previously owned one, but that could be offset by the favourable price. The hunt, for a new or used one, starts now!

There is a good turnover generally. Obviously on Ebay and the like. The usual precautions need to be taken (if it sounds too good to be true it probably is etc).

If you are in not too much of a hurry I know for a fact that there will be a Roksan Tabriz appearing on the 'bay in about ten days time!

Happy hunting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts