Roksan Power Amps – among other questions.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Sorry about not updating this for a while - crazily busy week at uni.

I have indeed heard the Neo's , they are currently in my houses shared area on the end of NAD rocking out. Great speaker for the cash. I also still have the 684's on home demo, and am loving them. They have improved massively over the week as they have run-in(I was the first person to get them out of the box) and now sound fantastic. They are a really neutral speaker and all frequency is reproduced well, they really remind me of the Genelec monitors I have the pleasure of using at uni. The really let the qualities of the Roksan shine through and for a floorstander they really keep timing excellently. The only small problem with them is they seem to struggle a little with massively distorted music, one of my house mates is into death metal and when I let him listen to some of his music they 684's sounded rather muddy and boring. However they sound fantastic for my kinda music so this doesn't trouble me.

As i'm sure you can tell I am rather keen on the 684's and have been offered them for £550 brand new. I am about 80% sure I'll go for them.

A

Anonymous

Phew, glad it's viewed fairly favourably by you, what do your house mates think of the Neo's?

I think the reason why the B&W struggle is because they produce slamming basslines but sometimes struggle with detail and this is going to be apparent on the genre your friend likes.

A

Anonymous

House mates love them, most of them are not into hifi so they are really suprised what a diffrence they have made to the rubbish speakers we used to have , there is 8 of us so we all chipped in £30 to get them. Best £30 ever spent i reckon. The only reason i am not 100% getting the B&W is the Neo 3's. I'm bringing them up to to my room tonight for direct comparison with the 684's.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick update,have been using the Beresford as a pre for a while now and very pleased with it,detail has improved even more with individual instruments easily picked out and stereo imaging seems "wider"
I listen to quite a range of music from dub reggae,heavy funk to jazz and fairly complicated music from the likes of Frank Zappa and all genres have shown an improvement to my ears.I`m hoping to get a Roksan K2 power amp later in the year (finances and wife permitting!) to go down the bi-amping route to squeeze the last bit of performance from my set up.

A

Anonymous

Glad the Beresford as a pre is working out so good for you Basshound.

Just though I'd update on what is happening with my set up. I have finally decided to get the B&W 684's after much indecision and some serious listening I am going to keep the 684's. I think they are a fantastic speaker but what finally made my decision was when I plugged in my XLS200 for the first time with the Roksan and the 684's..wow. This should have been obvious to me but the sub reflects the bass quality of the amp, with the Marantz the bass from the XLS200 was always a bit soft and slow but with the Roksan its really fast and tight, I didn't think the amp would make that much of a difference considering the sub has its own amp. The Beresford is working out great as a pre and will soon consider upgrading it.

But anyway I'm now totally happy with my set up and would like to thank everyone that had some input, all of your views and opinions were a great help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts