Roksan Oxygene Amp/CDP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Well, I've had a look today and stock is all gone online so decided to take the plunge and ordered amp/cd via a non local store....

Arrives Tuesday so will let you know verdict once I've had a listen.

Thats what I call pioneering spirit ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Well, I've had a look today and stock is all gone online so decided to take the plunge and ordered amp/cd via a non local store....

great !

i looked last night at richer sounds website and they were £1000 each is that what you paid ! i hope you will like them but your got so meany days if you hate both of them soundwise

Blacksabbath25 said:
knaithrover said:

great !

i looked last night at richer sounds website and they were £1000 each is that what you paid ! i hope you will like them but your got so meany days if you hate both of them soundwise

Personally, for a small set-up, for that price they would definitely be worth a punt but possibly not at the original pricing.

Hope they prove inspiring as I've always had a bit of a thing for objects Roksan..... except for their speakers.....

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
knaithrover said:

Thats what I call pioneering spirit ;-)

Hmmm bit of a punt considering I haven't auditioned but I lusted after these when they were 3 times the price and who doesn't love a bargain. Hopefully my speakers will do em justice..

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Looking at it, I'd have presumed it would sound d way better than the K3, but reading the hifi+ review, I'm left wondering if it actually does. Maybe it really is more about the looks on this one. Maybe the K3 would have sounded better?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
Looking at it, I'd have presumed it would sound d way better than the K3, but reading the hifi+ review, I'm left wondering if it actually does. Maybe it really is more about the looks on this one. Maybe the K3 would have sounded better?

Seems its mostly the casework that is costing the bucks.
Touchscreen and lcd display.
its a good looker but id never pay just for the looks or casework. Id rather have a large ugly box with quality internals (sorry drummerman).

I bet it still sounds good though but much better than k3?? Doubt it

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:

The K3 is a typical integrated big boy. The Oxygen is a statement in industrial design, user interface and company's engineering prowes. Fans of B&O and Jacob Jensen's work would understand.

This isn't for 'audiophiles' or pragmatists. It's aesthetics aficionados choice. They even print Jay Paul Apodaca art work on the top cover.

"**** Bernini, it's just casework".

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
radiorog said:

The K3 is a typical integrated big boy. The Oxygen is a statement in industrial design, user interface and company's engineering prowes. Fans of B&O and Jacob Jensen's work would understand. 

This isn't for 'audiophiles' or pragmatists. It's aesthetics aficionados choice. They even print Jay Paul Apodaca art work on the top cover. 

"**** Bernini, it's just casework".
Yeah, my initial thought was b&o when i saw it. Although b&o does sound good! Lovely speakers too.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, Oxygenes arrived today in their very posh packaging and I've had a couple of hours with my reference cd's (Abbey Rd, Rumours/Tusk, Yoshimi, Aerial) along with random favourites on Tidal Hifi via Bluetooth. Straight out of the box Bluetooth sounded startlingly better than the cdp, cd's so far sound OK a little flat but hopefully this will improve once the player is burnt in (fingers crossed it's not an urban myth). Bluetooth sounds very very good indeed straight away, a huge upgrade on my Arcam Solo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Well, Oxygenes arrived today in their very posh packaging and I've had a couple of hours with my reference cd's (Abbey Rd, Rumours/Tusk, Yoshimi, Aerial) along with random favourites on Tidal Hifi via Bluetooth. Straight out of the box Bluetooth sounded startlingly better than the cdp, cd's so far sound OK a little flat but hopefully this will improve once the player is burnt in (fingers crossed it's not an urban myth). Bluetooth sounds very very good indeed straight away, a huge upgrade on my Arcam Solo.

Also a possibility that you've accustomed to the Marantz CDP treble.

Try some CDs with high dynamic range.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think your got your self a bit of a bargain there considering when first released those 2 boxes would of set you back £6000 and you got them for the bargain price of £2000 that's got to be a good deal .

there not meany reviews around on theses 2 boxes so would be nice after a week ones you have got used to it and let us know what your feelings are about them both .

i see the amplifier is class D at 120watts 8ohms in mono amps with dual power supply's do you know if the amplifier does 4ohms a tall . ? so should be good on the bass side of things being class D .

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
knaithrover said:

Also a possibility that you've accustomed to the Marantz CDP treble.

Try some CDs with high dynamic range.

That could be the case as I've had 3 or 4 Marantz players on the trot in what was my main system. I was actually though used to the cdp in the Arcam Solo which had a very very nice sound with the AE's as part of what has by default become my no1 system - certainly by rrp!!!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I think your got your self a bit of a bargain there considering when first released those 2 boxes would of set you back £6000 and you got them for the bargain price of £2000 that's got to be a good deal .

there not meany reviews around on theses 2 boxes so would be nice after a week ones you have got used to it and let us know what your feelings are about them both .

i see the amplifier is class D at 120watts 8ohms in mono amps with dual power supply's do you know if the amplifier does 4ohms a tall . ? so should be good on the bass side of things being class D .

A huge bargain I reckon original al rrp for the 2 listed at £6700 according to Richer Sounds website.. I will drop a review on here in a few weeks once I've had a proper listen and it's nicely ran in.

According to the spec it does 4ohms - I have some Boston Acoustics M25's in my garage so will try them see what they sound like

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

A huge bargain I reckon original al rrp for the 2 listed at £6700 according to Richer Sounds website.. I will drop a review on here in a few weeks once I've had a proper listen and it's nicely ran in.

According to the spec it does 4ohms - I have some Boston Acoustics M25's in my garage so will try them see what they sound like
thanks looks like a well engineered hifi enjoy

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I hope you will enjoy them for years. Certainly a design statement.

May I be ueber critical for a moment? - I love the casing but I really, really do not like the feet.

I personally would replace them immediately :)

Fully understand if others think differently.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

May I be ueber critical for a moment? - I love the casing but I really, really do not like the feet.

My very first thoughts when I first saw them. Something more discrete and customized would be an improvement.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

I personally would replace them immediately  :)

My very first thoughts when I first saw them. Something more discrete and customized would be an improvement. 

Agree on the feet, they could do with being half the height....Where I'm sat I can see straight through to the wires hanging down at the back and it is bugging me!!!! On a plus point my wife loves the look generally a big improvement on 'ugly boxes'.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Agree on the feet, they could do with being half the height....Where I'm sat I can see straight through to the wires hanging down at the back and it is bugging me!!!! On a plus point my wife loves the look generally a big improvement on 'ugly boxes'.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

That's about six times.

Your wife must really love them :)

Not too much on the Tube about them but what there is sounds promising.

As to feet, it should be easy to find something a little more sympathetic to the design.

It's just something Roksan don't do looking at their other offerings.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
knaithrover said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

That's about six times.

Your wife must really love them :)

Not too much on the Tube about them but what there is sounds promising.

As to feet, it should be easy to find something a little more sympathetic to the design.

It's just something Roksan don't do looking at their other offerings.

Jeez I only posted it once........what a clunky low tech site this is - quite ironic really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts