Roksan Oxygene Amp/CDP

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Hi All

Has anyone heard the Roksan Oxygene amp/cd combo? Hugely reduced by 4.5k off in R#*¥er Sounds currently!!!! Quite a bargain, I wasn't looking to upgrade but.......

Personally love the look but never had the opportunity to hear on unfortunately.

I like the look/concept too and the reviews I've read are all favourable. I would be very interested to hear what 'real' people think though. Obviously it's my ears that count, my local Richer Sounds are unfortunately useless though so looks like I might have to go on a road trip to audition (if that is even possible)

knaithrover said:
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Hi All

Has anyone heard the Roksan Oxygene amp/cd combo? Hugely reduced by 4.5k off in R#*¥er Sounds currently!!!! Quite a bargain, I wasn't looking to upgrade but.......

Personally love the look but never had the opportunity to hear on unfortunately.

I like the look/concept too and the reviews I've read are all favourable. I would be very interested to hear what 'real' people think though. Obviously it's my ears that count, my local Richer Sounds are unfortunately useless though so looks like I might have to go on a road trip to audition (if that is even possible)

It might come to that.

Unsure what you are referring to as 'real' people and not sure how to take that. I am willing to bet there's no one on this forum that owns one and few who have ever heard them as the are rare and, in my opinion, very overpriced when they first arrived on the market.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Unsure what you are referring to as 'real' people and not sure how to take that.

Putting words in his mouth but I'm pretty sure he just means to differentiate between Joe Public the buyer as opposed to professional reviewers.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Hi All

It might come to that.

Unsure what you are referring to as 'real' people and not sure how to take that. I am willing to bet there's no one on this forum that owns one and few who have ever heard them as the are rare and, in my opinion, very overpriced when they first arrived on the market.

Totally agree on the original price which is why nobody other than pro reviewers have heard them. The bargain hunter in me became very interested though when I saw how much they'd been reduced by...4.7k to 2k!!! Problem is 2k is still a bit more than I would spend on a punt for something I've not heard.

knaithrover said:
MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
Unsure what you are referring to as 'real' people and not sure how to take that.

Putting words in his mouth but I'm pretty sure he just means to differentiate between Joe Public the buyer as opposed to professional reviewers.

That is precisely what I meant, thanks Major

Thanks for that...... I am not a robot.... :)

As I said I doubt many if any on this forum have heard them, although someone may correct me.

drummerman said:
I love the look of it but think it was somewhat ambitiously priced in the first place. :)

Did they actually sell any?

I don't know of anyone who has actually been to audition them. Because of their pricing there were too many other options around at the time that were more available for audition.

If they are selling them off cheap in Richer Sounds it maybe demonstrates what a flop they were.

So knaithrovers job for the week is ........ ;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Possibly. JR is always up for a good deal.

As Roksan has recently been bought up the new owners probably did a stock clearance deal with RS for all remaining units.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
RS I suspect are hoping that buyers are attracted to the vary large discount from the original price and what an unbelievable bargain they are.

I agree that specification wise there are other options around the same price - many of which will be easier to demo (a generalisation of RS demo service).

So it will be intersting to see if the prices reduce further in due course.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
I love the look of it but think it was somewhat ambitiously priced in the first place. :)

Did they actually sell any?

I don't know of anyone who has actually been to audition them. Because of their pricing there were too many other options around at the time that were more available for audition.

If they are selling them off cheap in Richer Sounds it maybe demonstrates what a flop they were.

So knaithrovers job for the week is ........ ;-)

...is buy Roksan Oxygene cdp & amp, well I am so very very tempted as I think I've mentioned already and I do like the Roksan house sound

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Quirky, and to my mind ill concieved.

A CD transport but an amp without digital inputs?

Bluetooth capable so there must be a dac but still no digital inputs, crazy.

Very few usable facilities, the amp would have to be pretty special sound wise to even be worth £1k.

Don't let the original high price tempt you, it's all casework and an elevated UK price to suit the export market.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
Hi All

It might come to that.

Considering how much $ Roksan has put into it, it's something that didn't surprise me when it was launched.

davedotco said:

Very few usable facilities, the amp would have to be pretty special sound wise to even be worth £1k.

Don't let the original high price tempt you, it's all casework and an elevated UK price to suit the export market.

That transport is actually a CDP with Burr Brown 1796 dac

Perhaps Less is More should read less costs lots more. .... ;-)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

Custom built EVERYTHING with CNC to very very tight tolerances, not your typical tin box amp you see 99.999% of the time. The Oxygen project was purchased from Primare's founder Bo Christensen who already dumped 1 million in it and failed to do a commercially viable product. Roksan invested more money, time and talent and succeeded what others couldn't. It's something Roksan is known for, oddball engineering wonders. The billets of aluminium that make the case are CNC milled to 10th of a millimiter precision, otherwise the touch screen sensors dont work. (the metal case is touch sensitive)

And its made in the ******* UK, so cherish it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

Custom built EVERYTHING with CNC to very very tight tolerances, not your typical tin box amp you see 99.999% of the time. The Oxygen project was purchased from Primare's founder Bo Christensen who already dumped 1 million in it and failed to do a commercially viable product. Roksan invested more money, time and talent and succeeded what others couldn't. It's something Roksan is known for, oddball engineering wonders. The billets of aluminium that make the case are CNC milled to 10th of a millimiter precision, otherwise the touch screen sensors dont work. (the metal case is touch sensitive)

Al - richers are listing both a Cd D player and transport, still seems silly to me.

Vlad - As I said, all casework. Those milled alloy cases cost a fortune for a modest quantity, "custom everything" is just a joke in modern engineering terms, pointless.

And the functionality, just ridiculous, generally I love non-mainstream product, but this....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

Al - richers are listing both a Cd D player and transport, still seems silly to me.

Vlad - As I said, all casework. Those milled alloy cases cost a fortune for a modest quantity, "custom everything" is just a joke in modern engineering terms, pointless.

And the functionality, just ridiculous, generally I love non-mainstream product, but this....

It's beautiful industrial design and interface, something that is wasted on yobos who shop at this price bracket. Sad really.

I've said it before. Roksan is too cheap for its own good. It needs to Veblen up its goods. The prices it sells for aims at the wrong crowd. A POS boombox costs the same as an Oxygene amp.

insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
RS had them reduced to £1,200 about a month ago. Don't think I still got that email. Anyone considering spending £2k on one should really go an haggle.

Hi, was that £1200 for the pair or individually?
That was the amp. Don't know whether CD was also on offer as don't use a CD player myself.
Ive been tracking the price southwards for a few weeks. Each was £1999 for a while. Then 'VIP members' got an email offering another £500 off. Now as stated above, each is £999. My main observation was the lack of inputs, and having read other comments I'd be taking RS' warranty too, as they might be hard to fix in, say, five years. But if they otherwise suit, it might be worth a punt.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've had a look today and stock is all gone online so decided to take the plunge and ordered amp/cd via a non local store....

Arrives Tuesday so will let you know verdict once I've had a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts